Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of the old Perazzi cases that needed a refurb, the foam under the fabric had disintegrated and they were unusable in their current state.
20200622_105642.jpg

I'm not sure what causes this but I have 4 of these type cases and it happened to all of them sooner or later.
The first thing to do is get all the dead foam out of the case and be sure to save all the fabric as you will need it to use as a pattern for the new material.

You will need to get enough of the old glue out to have a fairly smooth surface for the new lining to adhere to, I used a very sharp steel putty knife for most of it. You can spray the putty knife with WD40 or any light oil to help keep the glue from sticking to the knife. Be advised this is a rubbery very sticky glue, it's actually the worst part of the job. Don't mess with the trim unless you have to, there's no foam under it so it should be ok. if not carefully reglue it with 3M Headliner adhesive, I use headliner adhesive because it's made for high heat environments. While the case are generally not subject to extreme heat, sitting in a car trunk in the summer can get pretty hot.

I have done 2 of these and am going to do two more this week, I use a close knap indoor/outdoor carpet instead of going back with the foam and velor like the original. I did this a about 5 years ago in another case and so far it's been fine. I highly recommend this for doing your own case, it's much easier than the foam and velor method and protects the gun just as well.

There's only two hard pieces to cut, the barrel tray and the stock tray. Take your time and use very sharp heavy duty shears. If you have a wooden surface that you are willing to cut on a utility knife and a straight edge will help for the big pieces. If you are going to use carpet, cut it a little large and work it down the exact size you want. This type of carpet will stretch a little, but don't be tempted to stretch it to fit especially around the edges, eventually it will shrink back to its original size.

Here's a couple of photos of the one I finished today.
The cost is about $20 and 3 or 4 hours of work.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Looks good, you did yourself proud.
Mine has come unglued too but foam backing is still okay, I just need to get some spray adhesive and glue back down.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great job !! What material is in them now ?!? Thanks
It's a very close knap indoor/outdoor carpet, be sure you get the kind with no backing on it.
I get mine at Lowe's, but you can also get it at automotive custom shops. It's the same kind they use to cover speaker boxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts