Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again Pennsylvania has led the ATA in the number of shooters on the ATA All American Team. The Keystone State had 22 All Americans. In addition, Pa. led all states in registered targets thrown for the umpteenth time!! I was just wondering why we have so many shooters on the All American team! Do we have more shooters?...more talent?....more shooters who go to big tournaments??? I really don't know but Pennsylvania is doing something right.....I'm just sayin'......Uncle Sam

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sam,Its no wonder Pa has the record you mention.In our area alone look at how many clubs we have in a 50 mile radius. Every one of them,have fine shooters who help each other with problems, have good competition in the leagues, welcome new shooters,and if ask will help in any way possible to help a newbie enjoy the sport.Look at the fellows like you, Pete Mathews and others who give their time to help. I cant wait for Summer to get back to Pa and be with you folks.
Con

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Uncle Sammie!!! PA is the "rootenist-tootenist-hot shootenist state this side of the Mississippi!!! And you is one of them thar hombres!!! Merry Christmas buddy boy!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks!! We sure do like to trap shoot here in PA .... and YES we have a lot of gun clubs and almost every one has trap shooting. Luckily I get to shoot with many of those All-Americans.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Geographic and demographic.

If anyone good actually gave a hoot, states like PA and Ohio would have ten times as many All-Americans as they have.

The bloom is off the rose. Look at many of these folk's averages, look at their wins. I don't think they would place in a weekday sportsman league.

A dubious distinction, awarded for quantity shooting primarily, quality is secondary.

Good for bragging rights, or a free cup of coffee. Congrats to all who've made it!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gapper....I am very sorry you feel that way. I feel exactly the opposite about anyone who has achieved that high level of shooting. I mean this is a measure of some of the best that the ATA has to offer. When I have occasion to chat with these folks I extend my hand with congratulations and a smile! .......Uncle Sam

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Easy Uncle Sam, the Gapper may be on to something. We've got many more opportunities to shoot registered targets in PA and Ohio than the rest of the country. Problem is, in many cases, it's simply being able to get in sufficient targets to make the All-American teams-not talent. That negates many fine shooters from being accepted. Not everyone is a teacher or small business owner with summers off and pick your own vacations to be able to make the minimums.

Bottom line-way too many current All-Americans are nothing but cut-bait on watered down teams. I wish Jimmy Robinson was still alive as his system was much fairer!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
It's no measure of anything, just good shooters that meet the requirements.

With all the great shooters in Penna (or Ohio), that list is pretty damn short!

They don't care. If it mattered you'd have many, many more.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Don't forget that in addition to being a pretty fair shooter, to achieve All-American status a person also has to have the time to attend a lot of shoots and be able to afford to do so. Without either of those last two requirements, the best shooter alive cannot become an All-American.

Like Ohio, Pennsylvania is an industrial state and accordingly has a lot of business owners and executives who like to shoot, can take the time from work to shoot and have the money it takes to travel and pay the entry fees.

I by no means am belittling those who have earned A-A status, just stating facts.

Ed

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Ollie...think what you want but in my worst day I could not consider ANY ATA ALL AMERICAN equal to "Cut Bait"....no matter how "Watered Down" any category is or was. Like I said, I will still roar "Bravo" to each and every one that I meet. Gapper.....Penna. still leads the pack in numbers and I'm proud of the PSSA and the Keystone State in general...........Uncle Sam

·
Registered
544 Posts
Being raised a Pennsylvanian, I am pleased to see so many All-Americans from the homeland.

I would also like to make mention that Walworth Sportsman's Club (NY) honored five 2014 All American club members today at our Christmas party.

Chris

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
PA is a "shootin'" state...I always enjoy myself when I go to Elysburg. If you win something there, you know you did yourself "good." The shooters there are very good. Being from NY, I would definitely put PA on a retirement state to live in. Good shots-good folks...they have a long, long history of producing some of the best shots in the country.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Alright, the system for All-American team selection is certainly better that the "favorite son" appointing used so often in the past. Nonetheless, being the winner of watered down categories with few if any entrants and attending numerous shoots shouldn't qualify a shooter for All-American status.

No jealousy-just facts. After 50 years in this game I've seen it all and am somewhat qualified to add an opinion.

In case some people haven't noticed it's gotten increasingly difficult to find qualified individuals in PA to even make state teams!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yep, Texas guys are proud of their steers and armadillos too.

They have the most.

And yet, no one cares.

Bravo! Remember the Alamo!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Uncle Sam, I too congratulate those who make the All American team but let's face it, they are not comprised of the best shooters. I have led the state in high averages in HC and singles. I have been a member of various state teams, mostly first team. BUT, I have never been an All American because I lack the large amount of vacation time required to attend the big shoots plus, I have to work weekends when most of the points are earned. There are many I can beat on any given day that are AA but I am not regarded as a big dog because I have NEVER been an All American.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts