Trapshooters Forum banner

Should 2021 shoots follow the ATA Satellite Grands target requirements?

• Yes

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • I don't care, I'm just glad to be able to get out and shoot

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Allow targets only from ATA average card yardage

Votes: 1 2.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Just getting by.....
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to the pandemic and reduced shooting should all shoots follow the ATAs lead and count the last three years targets?

I personally agree with the ATA on this one, I think lots of 19 and 20 yard shooters will decline to shoot if penalized to the 23. At least let them shoot targets only.

From the ATA website:
Due to limited shooting opportunities in 2020, the look back period for minimum targets requirements in the 2021 Satellite Grands has been extended back to September 1, 2018 to the date of classification for the shoot.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
I wasn't aware they were doing this and was pleasantly surprised at the Southern Grand to not have to shoot penalty yardage. I think it makes good sense to let everyone try to get caught up this coming year.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
Yes, after the mess last year and the 100's of cancelled shoots it is a good move by the ATA, can't see why anyone would even think there is something wrong with it, I think it's fair as it applies to everyone equally.

· Perazzi MX10RS
2,093 Posts
The Grand did it last year. Same look back date of September 1, 2018. I believe the Heartland look back was 2 years as well.

They'll probably keep that look back date for this year too, which will cover the last 3 years. We did the same thing at our club with the big money multi-day shoots last year when we had minimum requirements.

· Registered
406 Posts
Due to the pandemic and reduced shooting should all shoots follow the ATAs lead and count the last three years targets?

I personally agree with the ATA on this one, I think lots of 19 and 20 yard shooters will decline to shoot if penalized to the 23. At least let them shoot targets only.

From the ATA website:
Due to limited shooting opportunities in 2020, the look back period for minimum targets requirements in the 2021 Satellite Grands has been extended back to September 1, 2018 to the date of classification for the shoot.
This thread made me realize my naivety. If I was a 20 yard shooter and was told I have to shoot from the 23 I wouldn't care regardless of the look back. No way would 9 feet be an excuse I would use for not competing. I feel the same way for the singles and doubles classification.

· Registered
919 Posts
I don't expect we will see a rule change anytime soon.
The decision about penalty classification for16 yards and Doubles will remain with Shoot Management. As long as target requirements are printed in the program it is a management decision. Read your program and decide if you want to participate.

Shawn

· Just getting by.....
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm not advocating the ATA to tell local shoot management what to do, I'm suggesting that they take it upon themselves to mirror the ATA satellite grand policy in order to get more shooters at the cashier's window.

I was a new shooter and my first ATA shoot was a state shoot. I shot penalty B on singles and skipped handicap due to the 23 yard penalty.

I had shot maybe 200 birds prior to this and was shooting 60 s and 70s from the 20. I saw no need to waste money trying to shoot from the 23. I'm sure others feel the same starting out.

· Premium Member
793 Posts
I'm not advocating the ATA to tell local shoot management what to do, I'm suggesting that they take it upon themselves to mirror the ATA satellite grand policy in order to get more shooters at the cashier's window.

I was a new shooter and my first ATA shoot was a state shoot. I shot penalty B on singles and skipped handicap due to the 23 yard penalty.

I had shot maybe 200 birds prior to this and was shooting 60 s and 70s from the 20. I saw no need to waste money trying to shoot from the 23. I'm sure others feel the same starting out.
Not only are you allowed to read the rule book you are also allowed to read the program. I have yet to find a state shoot or other large shoot like a zone a grand that doesn’t let you shoot targets only from your assigned yardage. You are just not eligible for trophies, added money or play the options. My first year of serious ATA shooting I shot a lot of targets only at state and other big shoots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.