Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a story of a pellet (or more) ricocheting off the back of the trap house and striking anyone ?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I do. But this pellet came off of a target while shooting 5 stand. Guy was struck it the chest. Didn`t break his shirt but it did bleed a little. Shooting Glasses anyone???

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Shot a guys hat one time (for his first 25 straight) and a pellet must have hit the hard plastic band in the back and a pellet ricocheted back and hit me above my shooting glasses. Left just a spot of blood . It goes to show you that anything can happen.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Shooting skeet, low two, and a friend standing behind a good fifteen to twenty feet behind station four had a pellet hit his glasses. Surprised the hell out of everyone. Luckily no damage but a real attention getter.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Not trap but skeet its a common occurance. I had a pellet hit me sitting on a bench a good ten yards behind station 4 and embed in my face right under my Decots. It became part of our saftey course after that maybe 20 years ago_Our club house is right behind the bench and the gutter has mouch shot in it. Jeff

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are times when a pellet will come out of the barrel at a weird angle. Once while shooting sporting clays the shooter ahead of me shot at a nearly level target. At the instant of the shot I saw a puff of dust from the ground no further than 15 feet in front of him. That sort of thing explains why in all of my pattern testing with counted pellets in each shell, I have never been able to count all of them on the target.

Johnpe

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have had a #9 pellet bounce off a target and hit my glasses, 20 yard target. It had very little energy. It doesn't seem possible but it happens occasionally.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I saw a dummy shoot steel shot against a steel patterning plate once (and only once), but that's a whole different subject.

-Gary

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the Feds made us line the back outside of all our trap houses with wood because of a ricochet somewhere, just wondered how often this happens

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
While watching the U.S. Army shooting team at a Grand American evening entertainment show and sitting in the bleachers, s few rows from the top, I felt a sharp sting in the neck. At first I though it was a bee but there was something hard there. I rubbed the "sting" a bit and felt something hard. A deformed pellet, probably an 8, was stuck in my neck. It stuck to the skin but I rubbed it out and took a good look at it. No blood was showing.

After the show was over I went up to one of the Army shooters and told him about it and showed him the pellet. He did not seem to be the least bit interested.

What was more scary was that my duaghter, then maybe 10 or 12 years old, was sitting next to me on the side where the pellet hit me. Her head was just about the same height as my neck. I was lucky in that it hit me and not her, just a few inches away from me, since that could have put it right into her eye.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have not had traphouse riccochet but a target bounce from the 27 yard line. A kid was in a chair behind his dad at the 27. Shooter shot, bird broke, kid went down in a 1 2 3 cadence. Kid had a sting just below the eye.

I suspect the serrations in those targets caught a pellet and bounced it back.

lucky outcome for all, stuff does happen. I have safety glasses now and a bill type cap

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have seen/heard enough that I think anybody not wearing glasses anywhere near the line is taking a foolish risk.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Speaking of fools. About 10 years ago I caught a shot ricochet to my lip as I was scoring skeet targets at the #7 low house. A week later at the annual meeting the President asked if there were any matters from the floor to discuss. I brought up the issue of requiring eye and ear protection for all shooters or visitors on the range. There were about 40 people present at that time of the night. The President said we should have a vote on it. The motion failed because the nay voters did not want anyone telling them what to do. One of them stated that to me.

I decided I didn't want to associate with fools and resigned from the club.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I was in my car at a sporting clays range. A pellet
hit my windshield and left a tiny crack. About a year later the tiny crack spread across half the windshield. $250.

Fix those small cracks right away.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
A close trapshooting friend had a sweatshirt with pellet holes on his left sleeve.
He was on post 5 and a shooter on post 1 had a unintentional discharge that hit the back of the trap house, richoched pellets hit the shooters on post 4 and 5.

ALWAYS wear eye protection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts