Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@BSAMX requested that I post my results to date.

Here they are. I've separated it out into the various categories. I've also weeded out the Number 4 and 5 shot results as they really don't apply to trap shooting.

The numbers under "Measurement" are how much the pellets crushed from the initial measurement, in thousandths of an inch. M2 is just a little column I have to round the measurement off (I'm sure there's an easier way to do it in Excel...)

The subdivisions (I've expanded Neil's categories from 3 to 5...well...6 now.)

0.022" and less is HARD
0.023" to 0.024" is MEDIUM-HARD
0.025" to 0.026" is MEDIUM
0.027" to 0.028" is MEDIUM-SOFT
0.029 to 0.039" is SOFT
0.040" and above is CRAP!

First, pellets that have tested out Hard:

Medium-Hard

Medium

Medium Soft

Soft

And the last category...CRAP!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tim,
I love the information gleaned from your testing. Thanks for doing it. Like others, I'm surprised at the changes from one lot to the next... particularly the bagged shot.
Are you looking to add to your database? I have some B&P shells, and some challenger (dove loads, I think), that aren't on your list. Don't want to add to your work"load", but would be happy to send them to you.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The difficult result to handle - lot to lot shot hardness variability of some good brands. You can't know for sure exactly what you are getting.

It is pretty clear that you should expect soft shot down in the Promo priced brands, but seeing AA, STS or Federal Grand Papers down the list is disturbing.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I was disappointed when my STS bagged shot was only medium hard, but consoled myself by thinking that is the lowest it would be and all my other bags not tested surely must be hard. LoL.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: timb99

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you looking to add to your database?
Yes, always looking to add to the database. PM me and I will give you my address.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Tim: I put a summary here, but may have missed a couple

Reactions: timb99

·
Registered
721 Posts
@BSAMX requested that I post my results to date.

Here they are. I've separated it out into the various categories. I've also weeded out the Number 4 and 5 shot results as they really don't apply to trap shooting.

The numbers under "Measurement" are how much the pellets crushed from the initial measurement, in thousandths of an inch. M2 is just a little column I have to round the measurement off (I'm sure there's an easier way to do it in Excel...)

The subdivisions (I've expanded Neil's categories from 3 to 5...well...6 now.)

0.022" and less is HARD
0.023" to 0.024" is MEDIUM-HARD
0.025" to 0.026" is MEDIUM
0.027" to 0.028" is MEDIUM-SOFT
0.029 to 0.039" is SOFT
0.040" and above is CRAP!

First, pellets that have tested out Hard:

View attachment 1713656

Medium-Hard

View attachment 1713657

Medium

View attachment 1713658

Medium Soft

View attachment 1713659

Soft

View attachment 1713661

And the last category...CRAP!

View attachment 1713662
These results are significant and meaningful. Thanks, Tim!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks Tim. I'm surprised Northwest shot is harder than West Coast and Lawrence. Very interesting.
Thanks Tim. I'm surprised Northwest shot is harder than West Coast and Lawrence. Very interesting.
Yeah...but it’s not as round....do a test....I found a lot of pellets with flat areas in just a small handful shot....I shoot reclaim and find they break targets just as well as northwest..

·
Registered
680 Posts
IMO the most disappointing results are those from the Winchester diamond grade , supposed to be a super premium shell yet test like a middle of the road practice shell.
benny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts