Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
trapshootinkid25 sent me samples from three cartridges of recently purchased Aguila handicap shells.

I was interested to see if the new cartridges have pellets as hard as the ones I tested about a year ago.

They did not disappoint!

Very hard, averaging a crush of about 0.021"

Neil's scale is:

Hard = 0.022" or less
Medium = 0.023" to 0.028"
Soft = more than 0.028"

For the good of the sport!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Your killing me Tim these things aren’t going to stay relatively inexpensive with all this positive input from you with every test you preform. LOL. Grntitan is right better get them quick now because in my opinion the secret is out. Thank goodness many people still think you need the big 3 Winchester, Remington and Federal in order to compete. Hopefully they keep believing that and these Aguila’s stay relatively cheap.

Shoot Well! Mike

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I've been shooting them for just a little over a year now if I'm not shooting my reloads. Just picked up several more flats; one 24 gram for bunker and 5 flats of 1 oz 7 1/2's @ 1200 fps.
Steve

·
What squad am I on?
TriStar TT-15 Combo
8,421 Posts
Tried some last winter. Sucked. Farted all the way down the barrel. Tried some this spring, knocked my teeth out. Much better options IMO.

Build the wall.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I haven't seen any for sale in my area. Our academy has not had any in a year or so. I'm not sure who else sells them.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The Silver Dollar has brought them in in bulk two years in a row. I have shot 20-30 flats of the 1-1/8 7-1/2s at 1200 fps and love them. I’m currently on the 25 yard line and I can honestly not see a difference in breaks between the Aguilas and Nitros. I am happy enough with the Aguilas at $53/flat that I quit hunting Nitros at Walmart. I have also had excellent results with the 1 oz 8s at 1200 fps foe 16s.

Tried some last winter. Sucked. Farted all the way down the barrel. Tried some this spring, knocked my teeth out. Much better options IMO.

Build the wall.
Wad, I’m betting you were shooting the 1-1/8 at 1150 load. These are known to be odd-sounding and may be causing lost birds. I would stay away from that loading until Aguila gets it corrected.
Denny K.

·
What squad am I on?
TriStar TT-15 Combo
8,421 Posts
Wad, I’m betting you were shooting the 1-1/8 at 1150 load. These are known to be odd-sounding and may be causing lost birds. I would stay away from that loading until Aguila gets it corrected.
Denny K.
I gave up on most factory stuff. I've loaded my own for the past 7K rounds and couldn't be happier. Even Remmy's let me down the last time I bought a couple with open crimps, four-fold crimps, crushed hulls...just found a AA not log ago with a split base. I'm not saying this is the norm, I know a couple out of a million isn't something to even talk about (although others seem to think that whoever produced a shell with a crushed base owes them a truckload of new shells)...

But at least when I crush something - I know who to blame.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I gave up on most factory stuff. I've loaded my own for the past 7K rounds and couldn't be happier. Even Remmy's let me down the last time I bought a couple with open crimps, four-fold crimps, crushed hulls...just found a AA not log ago with a split base. I'm not saying this is the norm, I know a couple out of a million isn't something to even talk about (although others seem to think that whoever produced a shell with a crushed base owes them a truckload of new shells)...

But at least when I crush something - I know who to blame.
We sold our house last year and I haven't gotten my reloading stuff set back up yet. But, I do enjoy loading my own shells. I found some Top Guns for $4.99 a while back and have been using them until I get back to reloading. I'm saving my AAs until we get some registered shoots again.

·
What squad am I on?
TriStar TT-15 Combo
8,421 Posts
Wish these were available in Canada. It would be nice to have a cheaper option for handicap.
Estate Super Sport, if ya can get em. I'd sell what I have left of my Aguila's for half of what I paid, oh wait, I won them...regardless, I'd give two for one towards ESS.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The Silver Dollar has brought them in in bulk two years in a row. I have shot 20-30 flats of the 1-1/8 7-1/2s at 1200 fps and love them. I’m currently on the 25 yard line and I can honestly not see a difference in breaks between the Aguilas and Nitros. I am happy enough with the Aguilas at $53/flat that I quit hunting Nitros at Walmart. I have also had excellent results with the 1 oz 8s at 1200 fps foe 16s.

Denny K.
Denny, good to hear on the 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 @ 1200. I've shot several flats of the HDCP and 1 oz. load @ 1325 fps. and they performed. However, for registered shoots, I still shoot the AA Heavy Target of 1 1/8 oz @ 1200 fps. 8's. If you have shot the AA Heavy Target, how does it compare with the same load in the Aguila?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts