Pellet gun? | Page 2 | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet gun?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shane Taylor, May 22, 2020.

1. Shane Taylor

Shane Taylor Active Member

Good to know I'm not alone dealing with pests!

kehrby and Jack R thanked this.
  2. fishfinaddict

fishfinaddict Active Member

Is that a super 14 Barrel ? 22lr ?

3. JD45

JD45 Member

If you don't know what that a QB78 is close to the old Crosman 160, here's some info: https://www.archerairguns.com/qb78-airgun-family-air-rifles-s/27.htm

Pick a .177 or .22, and several options. I have the .22 and it's so quiet. and the stock is unbelievable for $100! Feels full sized and looks great. Under 15yards, squirrels are history.

specs off website:
    • Accuracy of 0.5 inches c-t-c at 32.8 feet
    • Muzzle velocity 600fps for. 177, 500fps for .22 between 60 and 80 degrees Farenheit
    • Average shots per charge, 50-60
    • Bolt cocks on closing for safety
    • Traditional wood and metal construction
    • Grooved for scope with 11.5mm (29/64 inch) grooves
    • 39.75 inches overall length
    • Barrel length 21.5 inches
    • Weight 5 pounds 11 ounces
    • Hardwood stock with low comb
    • Pull distance (buttplate to trigger) of 14.5 inches
    • Trigger pull between 4.0 and 4.4 pounds
    • Three-way adjustable trigger (pull weigth, overtravel and sear engagement)
    • Trigger-blocking, lever-actuated safety
    • Six-position open “field” rear sight
    • Sight radius 18 inches
    • Uses two 12g CO2 Powerlets
    Also, if you buy a rifle, get a pack of his gas tube O-rings shipped with it. That will save future shipping costs.

pbansen thanked this.
  4. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

Depends on how bad you want to be rid of them but I'd be using traps to.

5. Dawgmary

Dawgmary Active Member

mach1cj thanked this.
  6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Nitro Piston airguns. Cocking compresses the nitrogen in the cylinder, pulling the trigger releases the compressed piston. The piston is a closed system, and I have't heard of ANY problems with that system. They are quieter than a spring gun, and don't have the recoil and rebound of a spring gun, so you can mount any scope.

7. H2Ofowler247

H2Ofowler247 Well-Known Member

Aguila Super Colibri .22lr powderless round. It’s a 20 grain .22lr round that shoots with primer power only. It’s as quiet as a pellet rifle and pretty accurate. At about $6 for a box of 50 it’s pretty cheap. It won’t cycle a semi-auto, but works well in a bolt.

8. SecondChance

SecondChance Well-Known Member

Something else to consider that has been mentioned. There have been great recommendations and suggestions so far, but what about AFTER the pellet exits said offender?
    The .22s shoot a heavier projectile than airguns by far. The .22 SubSonics are great, but what about his background/stop area? Neighbors, houses, his house, etc.. l use Eley and RWS Match 22 SubSonics exclusively for tree rat hunting and under 40yds it blows clean through their heads. I personally use a Beeman R1 in .177 with Beeman Air rifle scope. Have trashed high end Leupold and Burris rifle scopes in less that 50 shots for they are not built for the rearward discharge of an air gun or PC airgun.

Last edited: May 26, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    Tom Strunk thanked this.
  9. H2Ofowler247

H2Ofowler247 Well-Known Member

This is why I suggested the primer only Aguila ammo. Average pellets are 8 grains traveling at 1100-1200 FPS at the muzzle and the Aguila ammo is 20 grains, but only traveling 420 FPS at the muzzle.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. Jack R

Jack R Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who responded..been considering a better air rifle for tree rat problem..don't want to risk a .22..neighbors..lot of good info here

11. kehrby

kehrby Well-Known Member

SO glad I live where I can use a .22 LR in my yard. I like my air gun but glad I don’t have to depend on it to do the job.

12. Rocket3

Rocket3 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's a 15" Bullberry 22LR Match. The optics is a 3X9 Rifle scope. The accuracy is impressive. Got it on GB for a great price not to long ago. I've had the frame for 30 years.

fishfinaddict and pbansen thanked this.
  13. Jack R

Jack R Well-Known Member

Question about the gas cartridge...does the gas leak out if the rifle is only used like every 3 days or so ?..I am interested in the gas gun for the quiet factor

14. pbansen

pbansen TS Supporters TS Supporters

The absolute best for accuracy would be a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air gun, but they require a way to charge the air cylinder with a high pressure SCUBA or SCBA cylinder, compressor or (the least costly, most labor intensive alternative) a pump. Superbly accurate and virtually silent - they will stack pellets at 25 yards. The Benjamin Marauder is great out of the box and can be improved a LOT by investing in a regulator and tuning. Another is the Umarex Gauntlet, which has a factory regulator. I have a CZ200 which is very accurate, quiet and fun to shoot.

I have heard good things about the QB78 but don't own one. It seems like a bargain alternative and even if there is some CO2 leakage, the CO2 cylinders are very cheap. The other advantage of the PCP, CO2 and pump-up guns is that they won't destroy scopes like the 'springers'. A good starter setup would be a .177 Gauntlet with a quality scope and a manual pump. You'd find it very satisfying to shoot and it would eliminate your grackle problem in short order using a heavy pellet like an H&N Barracuda Match.

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA Well-Known Member

I live on an 80 acre farm. I use my Belgium Browning 12g. O/U. Singles load, #8's. I use my Model 42 sometimes, but it doesn't fit me well.

SecondChance thanked this.
  16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've a friend with a hunting cabin in the mountains. Big walnut tree out front so he is inundated with squirrels. There is a "shoot on sight" order in effect. One day three of us saw an infiltrator sneak across the yard and run up the walnut tree.

We each grabbed a shotgun and went outside to meet our foe. We set up around the tree and when he was 1) high enough for safety and 2) exposed enough that we each had a shot - we let loose.

I don't think any of it made it to the ground...

SecondChance and Jack R thanked this.
  17. richg99

richg99 Member

I have a CO2 powered pistol. You asked about retention of the CO2 over time.

It is recommended that you remove the CO2 cartridge after every daily outing. It seems that leaving it in will, in time, depress the plastic seal and the gun will leak. I have no idea if that is correct.

I did leave my CO2 cartridge in the pistol for a week once. No loss of charge and the gun still fires just fine. The cartridges are cheap enough that, even if you did pull them often, the cost is small.

Alternatively, you could simply buy some back-up seals and change them from time to time.

Jack R thanked this.
  18. pcrannel

pcrannel Well-Known Member

I have a cheap Crossman .177 that I have killed woodchucks with. Birds should not be a problem.

19. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I still use my Benjamin that I have had for 50 plus years.Nowadays I don't think they make them as good as they used to !!

20. JD45

JD45 Member

I've left mine loaded for months in the house and the CO2 lasts like it's designed. nearly 40 shots are full power. After 50, its gonna quit at some point.

Be sure to buy a pack of seals with the rifle. one day it'll need a new one.

I actually talked to the owner once. Great guy. If you call, you may get him.

Jack R thanked this.