Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking a getting a pellet grille and would like to know if anyone has experience with the Treagers vs. Pit Boss? I have also heard good things about the Louisiana's and wanted to hear from anybody who has these. Thanks George

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have no experience with any of the above but I can tell you I recently purchased a Kamado Joe Big Joe grill and absolutely love it. If you haven't looked into a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg I'd definitely say its worth checking in too.

Good luck in your search. I did a lot of research before buying my KJ but of course down here in South Texas it was definitely either a Kamado style or a stick burner.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Traeger has a temperature limit of 500 degrees. Harder to sear and you can't do pizza. If you want an entry level pellet smoker and a good website for recipes, then Traeger is an option. Rec Tec, Louisiana, and Green Mountain Grills are superior products that are more versatile that Traeger.

·
Administrator
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys, there are a couple of hard core Traeger dealers here and I liked the Louisiana alittle better but did not have much info on them. I will look into some of the other brands that you guys have mentioned. Mainly looking to grille steaks and the like. Thanks George

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had a Traeger grill for several years. I use it all winter and you can make pizza in it.
All the grills may be a little different but I find the Traeger to be a very fine Grill.

·
Administrator
8,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input dirt 15. Im going to go out tomorrow at some point and do some more looking and comparing. Hopefully be able to get something home and grilling soon :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
My two cents; I have a Traeger and love it. I have had it for about four years.
IF, searing your steak, seeing dark grill marks is important to you, Traeger
or at least mine, might not be the right choice. It is not really a "Bar B Q" in the traditional
sense. I've done all kinds of meats, it is wonderful for Turkey and Chicken. I even
cooked a meatloaf in it and every last piece was eaten. Couldn't even make a
sandwich the next day. For my Traeger is a big thumbs up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Two thumbs up for Traeger! Cook year 'round on ours at 7200 ft. elevation. One suggestion, if I may, use a combo mix of pellets. Our favorite has hickory, hard rock maple and cherry mix.​

·
Registered
168 Posts
George,
A lot of good info on all kinds of grills, smokers, pellet grills at www.amazingribs.com . I looked for a long time trying to get the best for my money and ended up buying a Lang smoker from Georgia. Short learning curve with the stick burner but worth the time. Bill King

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a neighbor that feeds me steaks if I come down to do the cooking. He has a Traeger and I hate it for cooking steaks..too cold and too slow. I have a 3 burner Weber that does a great job on a steak in about 10 min. For ribs and brisket you can use 1 burner on low and cook all day if you want to. For wood smoke, I have pieces of apple wood that I put over the back burner to get it smoking and gives you the wood flavor if you want it. Best of both worlds, fast grilling or slow smoking. Tried other gas grills and Weber is the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts