Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I gave up on building truck storage and won’t pay 1200.00 for the ones made so I saw this case Pelican v8000 53 inches inside Krieghoff is 52 total .Anyone have an experience with this case . It’s big even has wheels but have never seen one

·
Premium Member
10,565 Posts
Owned a Pelican. Don’t fly with one. Mine got seriously “bent” by baggage handling and my stock was broken. Picking it off the baggage handler the case showed no sign of damage. I just picked it up and put it in the car. The airlines said I couldn’t prove that it happened in their possession. Gave the case to my brother for fishing rods.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know because they aren’t cheap .They claim the are crushproof but nothing is Crushproof I guess

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I have a pelican 1700 and I fly with it around the country/world for shooting. Wouldn't trust anything else honestly to hold up to baggage handling. 1700 is the biggest you can fly with, before added fees, so the V800 is over the limit.

But otherwise I'd spend the money again no prob.

·
Premium Member
13,107 Posts
I too have flown basically everywhere with a Pelican 1700 (and it's little brother - I forget the model of that one). Both are solid and I would never use anything else for firearms. The 1700 will hold two scoped rifles. My smaller one holds two shotguns and four barrels easily.

These suckers are tough - I just can't see how you could damage a gun inside without the case showing marks.

I do suggest you travel with duct tape - and cover the latches with it. Luggage belts have a nasty way of catching on the latches - and it can bend them up - never had one break, but it can make it tough to open...

Reactions: canyonman

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
When my nephew was in the army, they used Pelican cases of all kinds and sizes to protect their gear. Anything that survived the punishment they doled out, including air drops, has got to be good. Cameras and other delicate optics, electronics, firearms, and things he wouldn't talk about, all got protection from Pelican.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have flown 10 - 15 flights with my 1720 and while it holds two guns I do pay oversize fees. I love the wheels and would not get anything without them.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
You may want to look at the Pelican 1700 gun case instead. No oversize fee's. It comes with or without the foam inserts. It has large sturdy wheels and built in handles. I got mine at Optics Planet shipped to my door. These come in 3 colors as well. Make sure you pack your shotgun correctly and you should avoid any damage to your shotgun. Keep lots of padding on all sides of your gun. I place mine in a Boyt take down soft gun case. Fill in areas with cloths/misc. in case for flying. I also have a nice case to carry around once I get to my club. I can leave the hard case in my room, and just head to the club with a nice light gun case. These soft cases are made for 34 inch. trap guns, and 30 inch. skeet sets w/tube-sets. I got my Boyt case from the same place, and got a discount on both items for a double purchase order. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought the v800 finally yesterday the Krieghoff just fits now I don’t know weather to trim out the foam or leave it .Nice fit should hold two no problem. I mainly wanted it to put in back of truck rather than haul in case gun came with plus you don’t have to disassemble gun .That thing is huge 53 long 16 wide .Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
13,107 Posts
I don’t know weather to trim out the foam or leave it.
Find some 'egg crate' foam of the correct size - no need to cut it. The foam deforms to let pretty much anything be out into the case. You just need to replace the top layer of foam - leave the rest alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts