Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call yesterday from Paul's daughter. My good friend Paul Purdam passed away on Dec. the 7th, 2013. He was 84.

What a man, he helped me so much with all my stock work on all my guns for about 20 years. He was a master craftsman and well as a super helpful and knowledgeable person. We have kept in touch even after my relocating to Arizona. In fact he has came over here and hunted quail with me and my friends. I just talked to him about a month ago, I'm so glad I called.

His work was so good that he was always in demand, including some of the Hollywood crowd. He had an autographed picture of Tom Selleck on his wall, among others, thanking him for his work on their shotguns.

He had been a heavy smoker for many years, and was on oxygen at the end. He got to where he couldn't breath while eating, so he just wilted away.

Rest in piece old friend -----

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry to hear of Paul's passing. I first met Paul at Bowers Wholesale in Los Angeles latter part of 1988. Not only did Paul do a lot of stock work for me he taught me how to do the refinishing as well. He would even give me small jars of the varnish finish called Fuller Plaste that he used. Paul made me nervous at times when he would pull out his small pocket knife and do the finish touch on pads etc. I think of Paul often. One fine gentleman. Bob in Los Angeles

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Gee! Tom what a bummer, a another friend gone bye. Paul was such a great guy.......... People who have never seen or heard of Paul's work would be amazed how he could turn a Plain Jane (Perazzi or any other)piece of wood into a masterpiece using his painting/staining system he created long ago. Paul was pioneer making magic on anything wood and just about anything else, what a loss.

Surfer

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Tom Thanks for letting us know of Paul's passing. We shot together from time to time. Last time was at Santa Maria. He was a swell guy and was always helpful. Rest in Peace my friend. Dave Bishop

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Surfer for reminding me of the special finishes he could do on a stock & for end with plain wood, amazing absolutely amazing.

I have a Franchi 20 gauge over/under shotgun that I like to hunt with, it weighs less than 6 lbs. with 28 inch barrels. The cost of this gun was $1300.00 +/- and it is a good shooter. However the wood was very plain, so I had Paul do one of his special finishes on the wood and raise the comb 1/8 inch with clear epoxy. I have had so many people look at it when I was practicing skeet and estimate the value at $5,000 to $6,000 . That my friends is the kind of work he could do. The gun is in my safe, along with my Winchester Super X that he refinished.

He also had a German Shorthair bird dog, what a great man.

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am very sorry to to hear that Paul is gone. Our last conversation was in June of this Year, we talked about 30 minutes on the phone about old times of ATA shooting at all the local trap ranges. I met him in 1974, when he reworked and refinshed the wood on a Model 12, I was shooting during that time. The finish was absolutely amazing. He was a good man and I always enjoyed talking with him. He enjoyed hunting and trapshooting. We all in Southern California will miss him. So long Mr. Purdum.

Ernie Hooks

·
Registered
678 Posts
Tom

I am sorry for the loss of your friend Paul. I didn't know him but may he rest in peace. I lost a friend, Jack Martin, a few years ago who helped me like Paul helped you. Jack made all of my release triggers which I am still using today and kept all my Perazzis tuned up. Good friends are hard to come by. Have a Merry Christmas and shoot some quail for me, we haven't had a decent hatch in central calif for quite a few years now.

Vince

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grunt --

I found out about his passing on Dec. 18th. His daughter told me he passed away on Dec. 7th therefore I'm sure the services were completed by the time I heard about it.

Tom Strunk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts