Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone recommend where I can purchase good/clean patterning paper with circles & quads. The Winchester Shotgun Pattern Sheets sold by Shotgun Sports Magazine are too busy.

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
You could try your local butcher shop and ask him if he can get 3-4ft rolls of packing/cutting paper for meat for you. I know it is a large roll, you can mount the roll on a piece of pipe between 2 4x4s and have a sheet metal cover over the roll to keep it dry.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Unloaded is right...go to a construction supply business and get a roll of Red Rosin Paper...strong, easy to cut and easy to see due to it's color.

Curt

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: You could get some sign board and cut the patterns into it. Then you could lay it on the paper and spray paint the pattern through the holes. I do this for my 22 rofle and pistol on cardboard to make muitiple tagets on one piece of cardboard. Just a thought for you. Thanks, Eric

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike (MAH66)

you are correct... I guess I was not specific enough. I am seeking regulation patterning paper which has pre-printed concentric circles and horizontal & vertical lines for easy quad identification.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
sam, the reason you are not getting the answer you are looking for is, I think, that most of the posters here know better.

What you describe won't work, unless you are the luckiest shotgunner in the world.

In general, concentric circles would only work if your patterns were actually centered , up/down and right/left on the paper.

It hardly ever happens that way.

You want a blank sheet of paper to magic-marker your own aiming point on and then mark your own pattern-center after the shot. Nothing else works.

Neil

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Now Neil come on. What in the hell do you really know about shotgun patterns? Have you ever even shot a pattern board?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
One of our guys had a template he laid down on the pattern after it was shot.

He used the cardboard that came between the layers of taarget boxes on the skid.

HM

·
Registered
146 Posts
Will these work

http://www.nationaltarget.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NT&Product_Code=ST-2++%28priced+per+25%29&Category_Code=SST

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Do a Google search for the town you live in for "Paper Distributor". They sell 40 to 42Lb. grade paper in rolls. Sometimes they have short rolls so it would be cheaper. Sometimes they have damaged rolls or a company store you can buy direct. These are the people who sell paper to butchers and other merchants.

John S

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Matt/grntitan, Neil knows and I'll admit for both of us we ain't good enough. I don't know of anyone other than maybe getting 1/5 or on that perfect day when you are aligned with the universe and might get 2/5 maybe. They just don't work.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Matt/grntitan are one in the same, Matt's real name is Matt Dillon, used to date Miss Kitty on GunSmoke, so now we all know who you are Matt…..LOL. That was a good one on Neil, Matt. Scott

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
As Neil pointed out, it is useless unless you have a gun that shoots perfectly 50/50, and dead center left to right.

I made plexiglass circles for 12, 20, 28, and 410 that represent a 90% pattern, once the pattern is shot, I position the circle so it covers the largest percentage of shot (takes a little wiggling back and forth and eyeballing). That lets me know the exact center of the pattern.

I never really got down to comparing different size rings, quadrants, ect, but my method is necessary as a starting point anyways, because unless you know the exact center of the pattern, everything else is useless.

Shotgun Insight works well too, but only for 12ga patterns...

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Ian, you write

"I made plexiglass circles for 12, 20, 28, and 410 that represent a 90% pattern, once the pattern is shot, . . . "

And I don't get it. Could you expand a bit on that?

And why doesn't Shotgun Insight work for smaller gauges?

Neil

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Sam, Uline sells white butcher paper in various widths up to 60". Precision Reloading sells wonderful, thin, white plastic 40" wide material that is the cat's meow for patterning. Partyland sells 100' long by 40" wide table cloth runners in a variety of colors. White and buff work the best.

I have seen the material you are looking for. I believe it was at Precision Reloading or Ballistic Products. I disagree with those that say this will not work for you, but I think it a waste of money.

I used to pattern by standing and shooting offhand at a target board 40 yards away. I then measure the resultant patterns, marked the center and drew concentric circles around the deduced center. I did thousands of patterns this way. I dotted each pellet hole and laid them out on the 40' floor of my living room. I counted each hole in each ring, recorded them in an Excel spreadsheet, and tried to deduce some "pattern" to what was ultimately determined to be truly random events.

My significant other (at the time) wondered what kind of kook she had hooked up with.

I now think this process was in error. I believe cherry picking the center of the pattern contributed to the higher PEs I was getting vis-a-vis those that Dr Jones Pattern Optimizer was predicting. All my later patterning was done from a bench. I now think that you aim your shotgun at a specific mark on the target, just like it was a bench rest rifle. Use clip on fiber optic sights if you have to. The more accurately you aim, the more precise your results will be.

Even though you aim with a sniper's accuracy, the center of your pattern will not always be centered on your POA. Don't let that worry you. That is part and parcel of the random nature of shotgun patterns and gives you a much truer indication of how that barrel/choke performs.

I'd recommend you use Shotgun Insight to evaluate your patterns. It is inexpensive to buy and free to use online. There is a slight learning curve, but really, the only thing that is required is that you take really good pictures of your target.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts