Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i be using a rifle type rest for shotgun patterning? I'm getting wildly different POIs one right after the other w/ factory ammunition. I'm using a folded up coat over the hood of a car for a rest. I don't think i'm pulling shots, but theres no other explaination i can think of for the shots to be moving around as much as i'm seeing.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'll just tell you what one of the better pigeon shooters I ever met told me.

I purchased an MX-8 just for flyers and wasn't sure what brand of shell to use.

BAG IT! He told me to try every brand of pigeon load I could get my hands on and BAG the shotgun just like your rifle. Might take a little work at the club since a lot of them don't want you shooting shotguns on the rifle range but with a good solid portable bench and seat, and your sand bags, you could use the trap field on a slow day. Take the clubs patterning board out to whatever distance you want and set up the bench and bags.

AJ100

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
You do need some sort of rest, but I believe a set up like rifle shooters use might be over kill. Remember, POI should be determined at no greater distance than 13 yards. I would shoot at least 5 different targets, 10 is better.

If you look at the same pattern shot at 35 yards five different days you will most likely see a different point of impact each day.

Determination of POI is a different process than pattern analysis.

Pat Ireland

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.