Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what I was expecting exactly, but comparing the Remington 1200fps to the Federal 900fps was really interesting to this newcomer to shotguns.

POI for the 900 appeared slightly lower (4 targets @ 40 yds, 1-1/8oz, 7-1/2 shot, imp mod choke) still about 3-6 inches above center - I had thought the POI would be much lower at 900fps but it was nearly the same. Drawing a 30" circle around the POI revealed a much tighter pattern with 900fps, maybe 2-3 inches annular difference (same amount of shot in a 24-26 in circle) , but still 60% in the upper half and 50-50 side to side.

What really struck me was the difference in recoil & noise: un-freakin-believable. I don't know if anyone has experience with the Federal 900fps (for trap) but I might have a new favorite ammo. Might have to open up the choke a bit to get the same pattern as the 1200 - but then again, maybe not.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The reason for the noise difference is that the speed of sound is 1125 pfs. When an
object passes through the speed of sound there is a lot of noise created. HMB

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah - there you go, hence the phrase "sub-sonic".

In any event - I'm a huge fan from here on out.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You might like to try either a 7/8 oz. load at 1150 FPS or a 1 oz. load at 1100 FPS. Can be very nice shooters, and a bit more shot to "fill-out" your pattern. Try these with #8 shot!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I will ! Unfortunately, I see the opportunity for unlimited experimentation here. What I probably "need" is more squad time shooting at moving objects !!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reloading - OMG no ! Maybe some day, but I've got enough on my plate right now.

Big-M, that may be the case - but from strictly a shooting perspective I like how it feels and performs.

I'm trying to come up with a down-side other than a slightly reduced pattern (with a imp mod choke anyway). Maybe a slight increase in cost.

I will definitely try 1 or 7/8 oz around 1100 fps, and try out different chokes.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
I got like two cases of the Win. AA Low Recoil, Low Noise loads a some years back when the local Walmart marked them down to $5.00 a box to move them out the door!!!! I bought all they had. They broke targets very well from the 16 yard line. It was kind of hard to get used to the Low Noise level. They all sounded like a bloopers, but broke targets hard. 26 grams of shot at 980 fps. The non-felt Recoil was a big Plus!!!! Winchester sells this powder to the public as well. Its called Win. AA Lite, you can load up, loads even lighter than Alliant's Extra Lite powder can. Sub-Sonic loads do seem to pattern very well.

I have not tried the Federal low Recoil loads yet!!!

You can get Winchester loads for 2 dollars off a box with the Winchester Rebate right now. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I love the Federal Paper Extra Lite of 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's at 1100 fps. Very soft load and it will smoke anything shot on concrete. I like a 1 1/8 oz. load. The 7 1/2's keep their velocity as compared to 8's.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just ran both of those loads through the recoil calculator ( below) and
was amazed how soft the 900 fps load registered through a 9 lb gun.

Just 300 fps less than the 1200 fps makes a big difference when it comes to recoil.
using 1 1/8 oz of shot.

Hypothetically I used a powder weight of 13.0 gr of WAALite for the 900fps and 18.5 gr. of Clays for the 1200fps load

Eddie

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I fully expect to see somebody shooting a 20 pound trap gun in the near future...oh, and with a 42 inch barrel for good measure

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
There is no free lunch, but if no one is scoring, it makes no difference. But as this video shows, single-pellet hits fail to break the target and just bounce off at a far higher rate than more conventionally-speeded (Light 8's) shells. As noted above, if the shot is centered, all is well.

http://www.mn-trap.org/tech_corner/n_winston/no_dome_breaks.html

Neil

PPC, if you are watching this, keep it in mind when the "experienced shooters" at the club tell you about "reading your breaks." All these shots were well above the target, most way above, yet there was not a single example of the "pieces being driven down" as TBR's (target break readers) would describe. The reason you don't see any is that you can't ever, ever, ever, read breaks for information about where the center of the shot cloud that missed the target was. You just can't.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I fully expect to see somebody shooting a 20 pound trap gun in the near future...oh, and with a 42 inch barrel for good measure
Years ago, at my club in Lenexa, KS, there was this old guy who had a 25 pound bag of shot duck taped to his stock. That's how he shot it. Howard something. Real character.

·
Registered
597 Posts
timb 99,

You must be talking about Howard "Ozark Monk" Hefley. I met him at a shoot in Missouri
about 15/20 years ago. Nice old guy and could he ever spin a yarn about growing up in the Ozarks.

I ask if I could see that gun you described. I damn near got a hernia putting it to my shoulder!

Eddie

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Eddie, you are correct. It was indeed Howard Hefley. Don't EVER get into a card game with him. I think he used to make a living at it.

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
I too have shot with Howard at Ozark Shooters. It was 20 years ago. A car salesman and author. Real entertainer.
Had arms like an Orangutan. Had to in order to swing that 30 plus pound Browning O&U with the shot bag attached.

Was a good shot. I still have his books about growing up in the Ozarks. Funny as hell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts