Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new at this, been shooting about 6 months. My question today is what does the ideal pattern really look like in trap. What I mean is when you pattern your shotgun, do you want the pattern to be like center point of aim but high, to the left of point of aim but high or right of point of aim but high. Right now I am set up about 80/20 center. I know for some this is basic but I want some impute..thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
To boil it down to the bare basics, here's my opinion:

Horizontal (left/right) POI: this must be dead-on, or close enough to dead-on to not be the cause of missed targets. I don't know of any shooter who would intentionally choose (or perform well) with a Horizontal POI that's any significant amount off-center.

Vertical POI is always the individual shooter's choice. Specifically for trapshooting, simply read the vast number of different Vertical POI opinions right here on trapshooters.com. Some folks successfully use a flat (50/50) POI at Trap . . . others successfully use a Vertical POI that's just a little bit high . . . others use a POI that's medium high (like 70/30, or your 80/20), while some shooters successfully use a Vertical POI that's way, way high. For Vertical POI, every shooter must experiment to determine what personally works best for them. Not to mention that some shooters configure their gun to yield a certain Vertical POI for 16-yard targets, and then change to a different POI for Handicap targets. That said, I'd bet that 90% of Trapshooters use a POI in the range of 3-inches high (60/40) to 12-inches high (90/10).

50/50 is the lowest sensible POI with any shotgun for any activity. Any shotgun with a Vertical POI lower than 50/50 is mechanically defective, and not much use for any type of shooting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome to a sport that you will hopefully enjoy for many years...

There is no "right" answer to your question, other than to center the pattern laterally over the muzzle. The vertical point-or-aim depends on your physical capabilities, gun hold and target look points and overall shooting technique and will change over time with your physical capabilities and shooting technique. Some really good shooters set the POI at 50-60% with a hold on the top of the trap house, others use patterns over 100%, generally with higher holds.

Your current setup (80%) is a good starting point, but should be adjusted based on what works best for you. To do this, to set a trap for straight angles from post 3, shoot with whatever gun hold point works best for you (suggest starting at the point where the target appears "clear and whole" rather than a streak) and then adjust your comb until the targets turn into ink balls. It is best if this adjustment process spans the full range from too low (breaking the bottoms) to too high (breaking the tops) because you can creep up to what seems to be a good POI and still be either too low or too high. Also, you will probably find that almost any POI works at 16 yd. So, once you get the POI roughed in at 16 yd (or do not see any difference in target breaks with changes in POI), go to your handicap yardage or a couple of yards beyond and repeat the process. When you are ink balling straight angles from your handicap yardage, move to post 1 (for quartering left angle) and then to post 5 (for quartering right angles) to check the POI (opposite sequence if you are left handed). If your stock/comb configuration allows your eyes to remain horizontal when you are shooting (or if you are a one-eyed shooter), the straight-angle POI should work well on angles. If not, you might have a tendency to shoot over or under the angle targets (e.g., under hard lefts for a right-handed shooter on post 1) and some adjustments could be needed - best to get your eyes horizontal, however.

When you have the basics down relatively well, it is worth spending the money and time for a class with a good shooting coach. You might have to go through several classes to find one that works well for you but, unless you are super talented and are headed for the ATA rookie of the year award, the investment is worth while and will get you headed in the right direction faster than the years of trial and error most of us go through. (Five different shooter/coaches and about 20 years for me before getting into one of Harlan Campbell Jr's classes.)

Best of luck with your new endeavor,
Pat

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wonder how many found that as they got more experienced they needed to change the POI? Years ago when I shot trap a lot I found that I ended up needing a higher POI the more I shot. Like 6-7 thousand per year and shooting more than 1 time per week. Your thoughts??

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Here are some pics of patterns that I shoot with. I tend to do a lot of pattern testing for POI the first pic is of a Perazzi fixed full the second pic is of one of my CG summits that is a work in progress.In the patterns pictured Im using a full--three to five shots aiming at the center of the black dot at almost 40 yards. The reason I say almost 40 yards is that the last couple of yards to reach forty at this board slopes slightly up ward and is alittle odd when setting up a rest. The top black line is 15 inches up and the bottom is 15 inches down.
11 1 2016 004.JPG
cg summit pattern pics 002.JPG

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
3 rounds, 1oz 8's at 13 yards. KX6 Special. #2 tube (mod). Have not had a chance to step back to 35 yards with this gun...this damn gun patterns TIGHT! @wykoni if you haven't screwed in the mod choke, try it.

KX6S13.png

One round, 7.5's 1-1/8 1200fps benched at 35 yards. Alfermann #263 (sorta miss it already).

Alfermann.jpg

13 yards, Ljutic Centennial #001 Fixed full. 1235 HDCP ESS. Benched.

ljutic13.png

35 Yards, Ljutic Centennial #001 Fixed Full 1235 HDCP ESS. Benched. One of the worst patterns I've ever put on steel (outside of the Turkish Delight). If you saw this in person you'd realize that half of what you see is old pellet strikes. Did not matter what load I ran through this gun. Rings still present.

Ljutic35yds.jpg

And just for old times sake (hehe) the old Turkish Turd, the fence post, aka boat oar. The one and only TT15 Deluxe!

13 yards, benched. O/U barrels. Ain't she a beaut, Clark?

OU.jpg

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
3 rounds, 1oz 8's at 13 yards. KX6 Special. #2 tube (mod). Have not had a chance to step back to 35 yards with this gun...this damn gun patterns TIGHT! @wykoni if you haven't screwed in the mod choke, try it.

View attachment 1645573

One round, 7.5's 1-1/8 1200fps benched at 35 yards. Alfermann #263 (sorta miss it already).

View attachment 1645569

13 yards, Ljutic Centennial #0001 Fixed full. 1235 HDCP ESS. Benched.

View attachment 1645575

35 Yards, Ljutic Centennial #0001 Fixed Full 1235 HDCP ESS. Benched. One of the worst patterns I've ever put on steel (outside of the Turkish Delight). If you saw this in person you'd realize that half of what you see is old pellet strikes. Did not matter what load I ran through this gun. Rings still present.

View attachment 1645577

And just for old times sake (hehe) the old Turkish Turd, the fence post, aka boat oar. The one and only TT15 Deluxe!

13 yards, benched. O/U barrels. Ain't she a beaut, Clark?

View attachment 1645579
I think I gave Tron ample time to post this (20 minutes), so I’ll prophylactically post this to the last pattern. I’ll be expecting the lawsuit...

54B46F30-4CE2-4054-8CC8-AFE5CA4C7556.jpeg

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Now that Alfermann is for me. Must be close to 21" high at 35 yards and a great pattern. I sure would like to see that gun to look at the rib.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts