Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never taken the time to check, but does anyone know if a petal of a wad is folded in while reloading, how much does it affect the pattern.

Reactions: crazy haystacker

·
Administrator
8,649 Posts
I have been thinking on that one. Being that we are loading pretty much the same thing give him a box of mine and see what happens. Do not give him the one oz of 9s.....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
When I started loading AA HS hulls, I had some petals folding in from the wads sitting too high. They still patterned well, and broke birds, but I did fix it after Nebs suggested a wad change.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Are you talking about one petal folding down, then dropping shot on top of that ? If so I doubt that would affect pattern. But I always lost several pellets from the mistake, which make a mess .

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Let your wads sit in a box out of the bag so they can relax any folds or heat with a hair dryer then let cool, should end any petal folds. Also check the height of the ram that seats the wads if it's to low it could be catching the petal.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I don't recall Neil ever testing this.

Reactions: Charlie Becknell

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Charlie
It sounds like you answered your own question.
You shot them and ther didn't hurt your score.
Henry
Two different things. Folded wad petal and ugly crimp.
Henry, no so quick.
Charlie how many did you shoot at, LOL.
You know I’m kidding Doc, good shooting, maybe you have found the secret.
Well, I shot at 100, however, only 50 per round.

Reactions: o-hale

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He's not the only one who could test this. The sorcerer had a couple of apprentices...
Unfortunately, like engineers, I'm obsessive compulsive ( my day job made this condition worse), and if I see it, I stop and fix the folded petal since I need all the help I can get.
This conundrum wrapped in an enigma has always perplexed me. And I still don't know the answer and never taken the time to find out.

Reactions: timb99

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Charlie
The only way to know would be 10 shots with a folded petal, then shots without and count pellets.
Then tell us so we can tell you the test was not done correctly.
Then you say to heck with it.
Henry
I should do this. Gotta find the time. However, unlike Western KY we are having artic freeze. We Central KY boys are very fragile.

Reactions: timb99

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
The only way to know would be 10 shots with a folded petal, then shots without and count pellets.
Then tell us so we can tell you the test was not done correctly.
Then you say to heck with it.
Perfectly stated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts