Trapshooters Forum banner

Pattern Plate Schmoo

1180 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Tmx199
After a long wait we have finally got our steel pattern plate back up in a new location. The current coating is dark green grease and it's hard to see anything even up close. I have seen pattern plates with a bright white coating that looks much better and seems to stay white after a lot of use. Any suggestions other than white grease?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
1 pint white paint + 1 tube any grease+ 1 quart bar oil. Keep in a coffee can with the narrow roller handle inserted through a slit in the lid. Stays thin enough to roll in the winter and gives great splatter to see pattern.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
After a long wait we have finally got our steel pattern plate back up in a new location. The current coating is dark green grease and it's hard to see anything even up close. I have seen pattern plates with a bright white coating that looks much better and seems to stay white after a lot of use. Any suggestions other than white grease?
Whup up a mixture of “Killz” paint and bucket grease. About half and half. Apply with a paint roller. Or go to the paint store and see if they will sell you dry powdered Titanium dioxide. That mixed into the grease makes bright white too.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, thanks guys. I'm trying to avoid plain grease because it's too heavy and difficult to spread evenly when recoating, and also I want the brightest possible white, brighter than white lithium grease if possible. But sawman & flashmax have similar mixes that are promising with the paint adding white pigment and thinning the grease, and the grease keeping the paint from drying. So now I just need to roll my sleeves up, pull on the coveralls, and clean all the old gunk off. Then recoat with the new stuff and be the gun club hero for a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.