Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
You might be surprised that even 10-15 thousand shotguns do not have well regulated barrels.
Raise the comb or purchase eccentric chokes from a company like Briley.

So how are your scores?

I have patterned many shotguns and your problem is more common than you might think.

I know it is frustrating.
Talk to some of your shooting buddies and find out how they have solved the problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you've tried everything listed, your cheapest and best option would be to send the stock to Tron and have him install one of his magical adjustable combs.

I once sent a set of 30" 28 ga barrels to Beretta because the center bead was off center, after 6 weeks they said the replacement barrels were the same way, after another month they sent me a set of 29 1/2" field barrels and lost my extended choke tubes.

JMHO, Pat
I will wait to at least get a response from Beretta. I dont want to sink more $ into this gun because I may trade it in but wont be buying another Beretta. I think I may bite the bullet and buy a Caesar Guarini. More $ but from what I can see a much better gun. We patterned my neighbors when I did mine and he was right on the money. Now I just need to explain this to the wife. raising the comb to me is a band aid fix. The gun should shoot 50/50 out of the box or higher for trap. The adjustable comb and rib on my neighbors gun is nice but like I said it shot perfect out of the box and now he can fine tune the fit . I think it also has an adjustable LOP but not sure

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You might be surprised that even 10-15 thousand shotguns do not have well regulated barrels.
Raise the comb or purchase eccentric chokes from a company like Briley.

So how are your scores?

I have patterned many shotguns and your problem is more common than you might think.

I know it is frustrating.
Talk to some of your shooting buddies and find out how they have solved the problem
Im an Engineer and the mechanics are simple. The only fix is eccentric choke or raise the comb and try not to press my face down to sight the rib which I know is wrong but .....well I guess I do. My average game is about 21-22. I have a Beretta pad now on the comb and put a gun sock over it to hold it in place as a trial fix. I didnt want to sell the gun to anyone but Im hearing from many folks that this is not a big deal and may therefor take my 3901, SP1 and sell a few other guns, add some $ and get a gun with an adjustable comb and rib , My buddy just bought a beautiful Caesar (CG) Guerneri for $5800. Im way too cheap to buy a Kreigoff and Im too pissed at Beretta to buy a fourth gun from them. Im hearing Brownings can have the same issues, so I really like the CG except for the 8 lb weight. I may do some research on the Browning Citori but the Browning fore end feels huge in my hand. Any thoughts on Blazer? I love my Silver Pigeon because it is light and fits me well. Think that is why Im so pissed. I wanted to take this gun to the afterlife :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
It could be your gun has a regulation problem. Probably worth you time to send it in to be checked. However, remember everyone is built differently. There may be some who shoot your Beretta and for them it will shoot 50/50 dead center. That is why they make adjustable combs. When I shoot most shotguns without an adjustable comb, it tends to hit left and a bit low. That is why all my target shotguns have adjustable combs.

If Beretta tells you it is “within spec” then you need to decide if its worth it to you to have an adjustable comb installed or send it down the highway and find another gun. If you look for another gun, try to shoot several brands to see what feels best to you - be that a Browning, CG, etc. I have a CG Invictus and it is a very nice gun and they have great customer service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It could be your gun has a regulation problem. Probably worth you time to send it in to be checked. However, remember everyone is built differently. There may be some who shoot your Beretta and for them it will shoot 50/50 dead center. That is why they make adjustable combs. When I shoot most shotguns without an adjustable comb, it tends to hit left and a bit low. That is why all my target shotguns have adjustable combs.

If Beretta tells you it is “within spec” then you need to decide if its worth it to you to have an adjustable comb installed or send it down the highway and find another gun. If you look for another gun, try to shoot several brands to see what feels best to you - be that a Browning, CG, etc. I have a CG Invictus and it is a very nice gun and they have great customer service.
if you sight down the rib and form a figure 8 the comb should not come into play at all. Forming a figure 8 and sighting below a 2 inch target circle should yield the same pattern for every shooter. The email I sent Beretta with pics shows the shot pattern which indicates to me the gun is not in spec. The question is whether they are going to say you are outside the warranty period so tough luck. If this is the case, why bother sending it to them. Ive head that in the old days barrels can be bent to yield proper shot pattern but most of the reading I have done on this is a single barrel not double barrel gun. Im sure it can be fixed by them but from what Ive read here and else where the barrels usually come back with the same problem they went out with. If they had to pull the gun apart and had the inhouse skill to bend both barrels it would cost more than the CG Im looking at. Sadly, this was a great learning experience for me. Learning cost money LOL. I learned that many shotguns dont shoot as expected so spend the $ to get a better gun that has the comb and rib adjustment and get it from a company with good customer support . Good lesson

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I indicated that I bench shot with the beads in figure 8 at 20 yards. I also noted that I used 1 oz Herter and 1-1/8 Top Gun factory target load . I also posted pics of shot pattern. As I mentioned earlier Beretta suggested trying different ammo which I did. They said to try different chokes which I did. I posted all this info. Not sure what I left out in your opinion. What do I expect? At this point nothing since the gun is out of warranty. I expected a moderately expensive gun to not shoot quite this low. I expect Beretta will have me send gun in. Its 3-4 month backlog. The only fix is a new barrel which they wont provide unless I pay for it in my opinion. I would not put that much $ into the gun. Soooo most likely I will shoot trap out of the top barrel to raise impact point. I added a cheek pad to comb since its not adjustable. I could try an eccentric choke. Mainly Im venting here. Lastly I may bite the bullet and sell both Beretta shotguns and buy something with adjustable rib and comb. Other post in this forum indicate that this is not uncommon with Beretta or Browning so I guess I need to decide if I want to get a real quality gun. Next time I will check out spec for gun and test it right after I buy, during warranty period. I shot my friends Ceasar G and wow nice gun but heavier than my SP 1 and $5800 ouch.
You said above: "...I may bite the bullet and sell both Beretta shotguns...." I got the impression from all your postings you were referring to just a single SP 1. Now we have two guns in the picture. Are both guns Berettas and both are a problem shooting low? What have you been shooting for the past 10 years and why are you not sticking with that instead of bring up a Caesar Guerini (note correct spelling for future use). Just curious now as I own 5 Berettas and all are fine shooting shotguns and seem to fit me and shoot well. As always, YMMV ---

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If they tell you send it in then send it in. What have you got to lose? They’re not saying they won’t fix it. Just don’t send any extras with it like other choke tubes. It’s worth a shot. My buddies DT11 (or DT10 I forget) spit a tube out and they sent him brand new barrels, and it didn’t take long at all. Plus, he bought the gun used.

·
Sky Buster
4,321 Posts
I have been shooting a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 for a while. I bought the gun in 2012 but never patterned it. Went to pattern a new gun with friend and decided to check mine for first time. I was shocked to see that about 90-95% of the shot below the target point. I local gun store recommend I call Beretta today. They were nice on the phone but suggested it could be the ammo. I advised that I would return and pattern it again tomorrow with 1-1/8 oz since I was shooting 1 oz trap load. The manager on their end said it may be the choke seat was tapped crooked. I asked if this would be a warranty repair if so and they just kept telling me to check ammo and if it continues to send it to a service center to be looked at? No committment on whether they would make this right if the gun was manufactured wrong?! Well I have 3 Beretta guns, maybe this will be my last if they dont correct it. The pattern was aslo off consistantly to the left but this could be operator error on my part
I bought a new 686 sporting several years ago. I struggled with it and
couldn't figure out why until I benched it. The top barrel on dead on
but the bottom barrel was a foot low and about 10" right. I sent the gun
back to Beretta with the test targets. I didn't hear anything despite several
phone calls. Finally after about 3 months they returned my gun. Now
it shot 6" low and 6" right. I traded for a Browning.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Both barrels shoot low with multiple chokes. I shot from bench and viewed a perfect figure 8 This tells me the rib needs to come up in rear but its not adjustable so Ill talk to Beretta and send pattern pics. They were supposed to email me a ticket number regarding my complaint but did not
Adjusting the rear of the rib without raising your eye does nothing to the POI. Raising your eye (higher comb) is the only way to raise the pattern. Once that is where you want it, you can either just shoot it with whatever bead pattern you have or adjust the position of the rear bead. I've done several Delrin clip on bead holders that just have a T-slot bottom to match the rib and snap on over the existing bead which provides fore/aft stability.

-Scot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I bought a new 686 sporting several years ago. I struggled with it and
couldn't figure out why until I benched it. The top barrel on dead on
but the bottom barrel was a foot low and about 10" right. I sent the gun
back to Beretta with the test targets. I didn't hear anything despite several
phone calls. Finally after about 3 months they returned my gun. Now
it shot 6" low and 6" right. I traded for a Browning.
Thankfully the gun shoots great left to right and the top barrel is 50/50 or higher. It looks like when they joined the lower barrel to the upper they bent the lower barrel . When I put a straight edge on the bottom of the lower barrel there is a gap but this could also be that the end of the lower barrel is enlarged from the choke tap? In either case, Im now using the top barrel to shoot trap and hitting 22/23 unless my head is up my butt and Im having a bad day. I may sell it or may keep it for five stand / sporting clays. I love the weight and fit of the gun. I also have a Beretta 3901 which I could use for 5 stand and S clays.
I was just looking at a used beautiful Browning 725 Citori Trap for $2250 here in Delaware but I'm a leftie and the gun is setup with a palm swell, etc for a right hand shooter. Im going keep my eyes out for a deal on a BT-99 or Citori trap. I shot my neighbors Caesar G Summit Trap O/U it has a VERY high adjustable rib and comb but $6,000 + is out of my budget hence the guns noted above and it feels very large to me. I wont buy another Beretta of any kind since their customer service sucks. I'm sure Browning is not much better but I dont want a generic trap or shotgun like a CZ or a Tristar. I was a Beretta fan till now but fell in love with the Citori trap . Any other suggestions would be welcome

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You said above: "...I may bite the bullet and sell both Beretta shotguns...." I got the impression from all your postings you were referring to just a single SP 1. Now we have two guns in the picture. Are both guns Berettas and both are a problem shooting low? What have you been shooting for the past 10 years and why are you not sticking with that instead of bring up a Caesar Guerini (note correct spelling for future use). Just curious now as I own 5 Berettas and all are fine shooting shotguns and seem to fit me and shoot well. As always, YMMV ---
I had a 3901 entry gun but soon went to the SP 1. The 3901 shoots better than the SP-1 but I prefer an U/O . Hate cleaning autoloader .I ve been shooting with buddy who just bought a C/G and I just heard how good thier customer service is compared to Beretta and Browning

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If they tell you send it in then send it in. What have you got to lose? They’re not saying they won’t fix it. Just don’t send any extras with it like other choke tubes. It’s worth a shot. My buddies DT11 (or DT10 I forget) spit a tube out and they sent him brand new barrels, and it didn’t take long at all. Plus, he bought the gun used.
I called customer service and kept asking what they could do and the girl had no clue so I said
THier customer service said to send it in although a 14-16 week backlog. I said if the barrel is out of spec would you fix it , she just kept telling me to send it in. I asked if there would be any type of warranty of this 10 year old gun and she said no. Whatever gets done would be at my cost .I will call Coles and talk to them. They are a repair center for Beretta and maybe get a straight answer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Too bad you patterned your gun .
10 years of 21-23 scores to now my gun does not shoot straight .
[would I shoot Better if the gun was 60/40 or even 50/50
Too bad you patterned your gun .
10 years of 21-23 scores to now my gun does not shoot straight .
most of those years were lower scores . I think I really learned to sweep the targets because the gun shot so low.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I called customer service and kept asking what they could do and the girl had no clue so I said
THier customer service said to send it in although a 14-16 week backlog. I said if the barrel is out of spec would you fix it , she just kept telling me to send it in. I asked if there would be any type of warranty of this 10 year old gun and she said no. Whatever gets done would be at my cost .I will call Coles and talk to them. They are a repair center for Beretta and maybe get a straight answer
Correct, it’s out of warranty but if they find a manufacturing defect they’ll likely repair or replace. They must have found a defect in my buddies gun to send him brand new barrels at no charge on a gun he bought used.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts