Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 for a while. I bought the gun in 2012 but never patterned it. Went to pattern a new gun with friend and decided to check mine for first time. I was shocked to see that about 90-95% of the shot below the target point. I local gun store recommend I call Beretta today. They were nice on the phone but suggested it could be the ammo. I advised that I would return and pattern it again tomorrow with 1-1/8 oz since I was shooting 1 oz trap load. The manager on their end said it may be the choke seat was tapped crooked. I asked if this would be a warranty repair if so and they just kept telling me to check ammo and if it continues to send it to a service center to be looked at? No committment on whether they would make this right if the gun was manufactured wrong?! Well I have 3 Beretta guns, maybe this will be my last if they dont correct it. The pattern was aslo off consistantly to the left but this could be operator error on my part

·
Vendor
6,006 Posts
First thing is try a different choke(s) or from a different manufacturer. Pattern both barrels seperately. If you bought that gun back in 2012 warranty has long since expired. You might want to have the gun examined by a gunsmith and then contact the area Beretta rep for the issue.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have been shooting a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 for a while. I bought the gun in 2012 but never patterned it. Went to pattern a new gun with friend and decided to check mine for first time. I was shocked to see that about 90-95% of the shot below the target point. I local gun store recommend I call Beretta today. They were nice on the phone but suggested it could be the ammo. I advised that I would return and pattern it again tomorrow with 1-1/8 oz since I was shooting 1 oz trap load. The manager on their end said it may be the choke seat was tapped crooked. I asked if this would be a warranty repair if so and they just kept telling me to check ammo and if it continues to send it to a service center to be looked at? No committment on whether they would make this right if the gun was manufactured wrong?! Well I have 3 Beretta guns, maybe this will be my last if they dont correct it. The pattern was aslo off consistantly to the left but this could be operator error on my part
If you had any other product for 10 years- how many manufacturers are going to fix an issue that was just made known to them? Ones that don’t implicitly have a lifetime or minimum of a 10-year warranty, anyway. I know Beretta has had barrel regulation issues, but this is probably past the point of being able to go back to the manufacturer,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess the way I feel about Beretta is that this is not a $300 Mossberg pump and I had an expectation when I spent over $2000 on a gun that it would meet some reasonable performance spec or be test fired before it was shipped out. There are not a lot of rounds through this gun considering its age and has never been dropped or damaged in any way. I guess to get a shotgun that performs as expected we need to pay over $5000 or cross our fingers and hope we get a good one? I guess I will check pattern today with different chokes to rule out choke. I read that the choke seat can be redone but this seems questionable. I guess as a last resort I can try eccentric choke and start shooting from the top barrel. I cant in good faith sell this gun to someone else knowing it doesnt perform well and Im not sure a replacement barrel is an economical option, I will try a pad on the top of the butt stock in lieu of adjustable comb also. Just saying I have 3 Berettas and Im going to check my 3901 next but after having this issue wont be buying another Beretta unless they help me out

·
Registered
842 Posts
I guess the way I feel about Beretta is that this is not a $300 Mossberg pump and I had an expectation when I spent over $2000 on a gun that it would meet some reasonable performance spec or be test fired before it was shipped out. There are not a lot of rounds through this gun considering its age and has never been dropped or damaged in any way. I guess to get a shotgun that performs as expected we need to pay over $5000 or cross our fingers and hope we get a good one? I guess I will check pattern today with different chokes to rule out choke. I read that the choke seat can be redone but this seems questionable. I guess as a last resort I can try eccentric choke and start shooting from the top barrel. I cant in good faith sell this gun to someone else knowing it doesnt perform well and Im not sure a replacement barrel is an economical option, I will try a pad on the top of the butt stock in lieu of adjustable comb also. Just saying I have 3 Berettas and Im going to check my 3901 next but after having this issue wont be buying another Beretta unless they help me out
See where the top barrel shoots, too- if it hits in the same place, it might just be that the stock is too low for you.

No one said it shouldn’t be right how it came from the factory, but to own it for 10 years and then expect the manufacturer to fix it (when there is no warranty), just isn’t reasonable. It’s also not that they shouldn’t fix their mistake, but what guarantee do they have that something wasn’t done to the gun after it left the factory? It sucks when your gun doesn’t perform how it should, but this might not be a big deal to remedy in the first place.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It's only just my opinion but if you "spent over $2000" for a stock Beretta SP1 10 years ago, that certainly was at the top end of retail or even above MSRP for it. I can see why your recent expectations are so high considering it's only now you question its current patterning after owning it for 10 years. Hopefully one of the previously offered suggestions will provide you with a satisfactory solution to your concern(s).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's only just my opinion but if you "spent over $2000" for a stock Beretta SP1 10 years ago, that certainly was at the top end of retail or even above MSRP for it. I can see why your recent expectations are so high considering it's only now you question its current patterning after owning it for 10 years. Hopefully one of the previously offered suggestions will provide you with a satisfactory solution to your concern(s).
I actually checked and paid $1750 ish but my point was that its not a $300 pump or tactical gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See where the top barrel shoots, too- if it hits in the same place, it might just be that the stock is too low for you.

No one said it shouldn’t be right how it came from the factory, but to own it for 10 years and then expect the manufacturer to fix it (when there is no warranty), just isn’t reasonable. It’s also not that they shouldn’t fix their mistake, but what guarantee do they have that something wasn’t done to the gun after it left the factory? It sucks when your gun doesn’t perform how it should, but this might not be a big deal to remedy in the first place.
Both barrels shoot low with multiple chokes. I shot from bench and viewed a perfect figure 8 This tells me the rib needs to come up in rear but its not adjustable so Ill talk to Beretta and send pattern pics. They were supposed to email me a ticket number regarding my complaint but did not

·
Registered
Beretta 682/694
404 Posts
Both barrels shoot low with multiple chokes. I shot from bench and viewed a perfect figure 8 This tells me the rib needs to come up in rear but its not adjustable so Ill talk to Beretta and send pattern pics. They were supposed to email me a ticket number regarding my complaint but did not
Perfect sporting clays gun for dropping targets ;)
Makes it harder to shoot over them!
To shoot trap put 2-3 layers of moleskin on comb.
There all fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He’s had the gun for ten years. Beretta isn’t going to do anything for him and why should they?
I get the void warranty discussion. All Im saying is that I had an expectation that I was buying a quality gun and yes shame on me I didn’t check it. I no longer have an expectation that Beretta builds quality firearms and will look at other brands when I replace this gun. The gun should meet some standard and I know the gun wasnt shot much and wasnt dropped so my conclusion is it was built that way

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
What do you think is actually wrong with the gun? It sure sounds like a gun fit problem so far. Have you bench shot it sighting down along the rib and checked how it shoots in relation to the rib? I see no likely way for 2 barrels to both be defective and to shoot low? Do the barrels shoot together? Try the pad and see if it improves. For me my SP1 shot low and to the left with the factory stock. A fit problem. Adding a adjustable comb fixe those issues and also allows me to Paris the pattern when I shoot trap. A really good addition more me.

What do you want Beretta to do to "help you out" with this gun. What do they change\? Part of the issue with comments on the board is that so far you have not done a good job of explaining the problem. You will need to do that to get help from Beretta when you contact them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate all of the feedback on this issue. A neighbor just bought a Caasar Guerini U/O with raised rib. We patterned it and it shot 60/40 out of the box. Beautiful gun with replaceable wear points but a bit prices at just under $6000 and I learned a long time ago that its not the gun but the shooter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What do you think is actually wrong with the gun? It sure sounds like a gun fit problem so far. Have you bench shot it sighting down along the rib and checked how it shoots in relation to the rib? I see no likely way for 2 barrels to both be defective and to shoot low? Do the barrels shoot together? Try the pad and see if it improves. For me my SP1 shot low and to the left with the factory stock. A fit problem. Adding a adjustable comb fixe those issues and also allows me to Paris the pattern when I shoot trap. A really good addition more me.

What do you want Beretta to do to "help you out" with this gun. What do they change\? Part of the issue with comments on the board is that so far you have not done a good job of explaining the problem. You will need to do that to get help from Beretta when you contact them.
I indicated that I bench shot with the beads in figure 8 at 20 yards. I also noted that I used 1 oz Herter and 1-1/8 Top Gun factory target load . I also posted pics of shot pattern. As I mentioned earlier Beretta suggested trying different ammo which I did. They said to try different chokes which I did. I posted all this info. Not sure what I left out in your opinion. What do I expect? At this point nothing since the gun is out of warranty. I expected a moderately expensive gun to not shoot quite this low. I expect Beretta will have me send gun in. Its 3-4 month backlog. The only fix is a new barrel which they wont provide unless I pay for it in my opinion. I would not put that much $ into the gun. Soooo most likely I will shoot trap out of the top barrel to raise impact point. I added a cheek pad to comb since its not adjustable. I could try an eccentric choke. Mainly Im venting here. Lastly I may bite the bullet and sell both Beretta shotguns and buy something with adjustable rib and comb. Other post in this forum indicate that this is not uncommon with Beretta or Browning so I guess I need to decide if I want to get a real quality gun. Next time I will check out spec for gun and test it right after I buy, during warranty period. I shot my friends Ceasar G and wow nice gun but heavier than my SP 1 and $5800 ouch.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If you've tried everything listed, your cheapest and best option would be to send the stock to Tron and have him install one of his magical adjustable combs.

I once sent a set of 30" 28 ga barrels to Beretta because the center bead was off center, after 6 weeks they said the replacement barrels were the same way, after another month they sent me a set of 29 1/2" field barrels and lost my extended choke tubes.

JMHO, Pat

1 - 20 of 33 Posts