Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our club has a couple of old pattern boards; when I tried to use them they literally fell apart.
They are stored down range, off the line and in the woods. Subjected to the elements they have deteriorated and need replacing.

I thought I'd do my bit for the club and make a new pattern board.
I'm thinking that PVC will make a more durable frame, and last much longer, but I've had second thoughts about possible pellet ricochet.

Has anyone used PVC of any size, shape to make a target holder and then used it with shotshells?
Any issues with ricochet pellets?

If someone has made a PVC pattern board frame without issues, care to share the plans?

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Dennis DeVault uses a PVC board when He & Dean were doing some clinics, they use a piece of big blue pic pip which cut open to store s roll of paper-the best patterning board I've ever seen

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I have woods behind my home, and I've had a wood pattern board out there in the elements for 15 years. Still works.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tried building a portable one from 1" PVC and was not happy with results. It was not sturdy
enough to support a roll of paper, especially in a breeze. Even when joints were glued, the verticals
would bend. Made it wide enough so shot impact wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried building a portable one from 1" PVC and was not happy with results. It was not sturdy
enough to support a roll of paper, especially in a breeze. Even when joints were glued, the verticals
would bend. Made it wide enough so shot impact wasn't a problem.
I was thinking 2" PVC, with the upper a "consumable" item, easy to replace, maybe 1 1/2" for the upper.
The bottom is almost a cart, with wheels, so as to make it easy to pull out, easy to put away.
The bottom is the important bit. As mentioned, the top is going to get shot and eventually will need replacing.

I'm ONLY concerned with safety at this point.
I don't want to build it if anyone has already done so and experienced pellet ricochet.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
It looks like raw water pipe, they slipped roll of paper into it, pull out what they needed and it was secured, between two pic pipes via toggle bolts with wing nuts

Great set up work for a lot of his clinics and was portable & it held up.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This project sat on the shelf, too busy shooting.
Now, in the dead of Winter, it's time to do it.
I've given up on PVC. After discussing with multiple sources I've found it's inappropriate for outdoor, heavy duty use.

So, now I need a backstop, not metal, but something easy to replace when it gets shot out. So...
Which of the following would be best?
  • OSB
  • MDF
  • Particle board
  • Melamine
  • Other?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I made one out of PVC and do pattern target loads as well as steel loads that range from #4 to Ts at 40 yards and never had an issue with ricocheting. Also, we pattern for POI at 13 yards. I made mine for my son and I so it sees little usage; therefore, I chose to use 3/4" PVC. It has held up well.​

·
Registered
791 Posts
For the plywood, I use Advantec.
It's made with resins and is resistant to water.
I've had some outside in the elements for 2 years and still looks like new.
Very strong too.
I get it at Lowe's. Best out there IMO.
Costs about the same as plywood, but much better.
Geo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts