Trapshooters Forum banner

Pattern Board at the Grand

1712 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Brad M
I don't normally spend much time patterning my shotguns, mostly because there is no setup close enough that affords me the opportunity. This week at the Grand I purchased a used Kolar Max T/A combo top single. I used their pattern board to check it out since I was having trouble shooting with the top single.

The pattern board had a raised "bullseye" as an aiming point. It was shaped like a mushroom with a domed top. The other pattern boards I have used are just flat. I noticed the majority of the shot hit the bullseye but the domed shaped deflected the shot that hit it causing the area around the bullseye for about 12" to 16" to be relatively free of any shot marks in the grease.

Anyone know why the bullseye on this is designed this way. The only thing I can think of is to minimize the damage to the plate if everyone just shot to a flat bullseye, i.e. by deflecting the concentrated shot pattern in the center the plate will last longer? Sounds logical but makes it more difficult to read the patterns.

Would appreciate anyone who is more knowledgeable than me on patterning a gun to comment. Thanks.

Additional info on the bullseye;
It is a separate piece from the board. It is shaped like a mushroom and I assume either welded to the board or bolted so that it can be replaced.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
457 Posts
The OP answered his/her own question.....The pattern board has a raised "bullseye" as an aiming point. We've used it. Not sure why they moved it this year but glad they did. It is just an aiming point, nothing more than that. I would say their raised "bullseye" is a little larger than really necessary. With all the grease covering the plate, there is an need for an object to aim at. Our club made one very similar to it and we mounted a ball hitch to the metal plate so we have something to aim at.

· Premium Member
73 Posts
To my knowledge it’s there for an aiming point, or at least that’s what I use it as. I never liked where it was. We didn’t have much control on who and when it was used. Lots of slugs shot at it unfortunately. I felt it better served the trapshooters if I moved it to the trap line. You could actually demo a gun and see how it was shooting without having to leave the trap line. I have seen far more usage since I moved it to the trap line. We have also added several distance markings to help better pattern your gun. There are still a few things that need to be finished up with it, I hope every one enjoys its new location.

· Registered
644 Posts
To my knowledge it’s there for an aiming point, or at least that’s what I use it as. I never liked where it was. We didn’t have much control on who and when it was used. Lots of slugs shot at it unfortunately. I felt it better served the trapshooters if I moved it to the trap line. You could actually demo a gun and see how it was shooting without having to leave the trap line. I have seen far more usage since I moved it to the trap line. We have also added several distance markings to help better pattern your gun. There are still a few things that need to be finished up with it, I hope every one enjoys its new location.
Brad,

That sounds like a good plan with good results.

What is the make-up of your grease compound?

· Premium Member
73 Posts
Brad,

That sounds like a good plan with good results.

What is the make-up of your grease compound?
I use white lithium grease with just a little motor oil. We get the grease in 5 gallon buckets and I mix 1 gallon at a time and put it out on the line. Just a little oil to make it apply smoother. It looks good and shows well when it’s clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.