Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word, I received, about the removal of the pattern board at Silver Dollar shooters club, was a decision from the owners of Silver Dollar up north, not from management ... I hope with a little help from the members, management will put the pattern board back for us to use.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Facts:
1. ELS is a multi-million dollar corporation that owns mobile home and RV parks nationwide.
2. Multi-million dollar corporations are normally concerned about anything that might pose a liability issue.
3. CEOs and management of MH and RV parks are rarely in tune with needs of a gun club.
4. The steel pattern board was located between two trap houses.

Speculation (by me):
1. ELS may see a possible ricochet problem if the pattern board is in use at the same time as the adjacent trap fields (something I think is highly unlikely).
2. ELS may see a possible problem if a pattern board user walks down to re-grease the board when an adjacent trap field is in use (again, highly unlikely but we have all seen stupidity in action).

I sure hope common sense takes hold and a new pattern board appears, perhaps somewhere else on the property. It’s apparent ELS doesn’t understand the importance of a pattern board to a gun club.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
I was told corporate thinks it is not needed or safe or some fool reason...
For over a decade now the Patterning Board at Markham Park can only be used when your with a Range Officer. When they have the time. Expect only one or two patterns and that's it before the Range Officer has to leave, and your done!!! This will typically take 30 minutes or so, to fire 2 shots. Its all about Liability Today. People are stupid, and will do stupid things. No one cares about the other guy today, and will do as they please if left to there own will. Sad but True!!! Remember that hunters & the general public will use this board as well. We all know they have little to no proper Etiquette when it comes to shooting!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Denny... (and hello CaptTrap)
I hear tell as you said the board was between two trap fields and there was no approved designated shoot area.
Dee had a good idea (to me anyway) to put it in front of one of the fields down there by the sound barrier. This way you could even use the handicap yardage as a yardage indicator.
Lay it down or move it during the up coming big shoots.
arnold55

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Our steel pattern board and our little Ikes club was shot full of holes with hi power bullets. They had to go across the ground to a shotgun only area to ruin a good pattern board. Also around that same time someone shot all the electric receptacles in our camper ares with .22 and hi power bullets. The cost was too much to fix so they shut down the camping at the club.

Several of us has caught non members that have climbed over the gate

Reactions: captrap

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our steel pattern board and our little Ikes club was shot full of holes with hi power bullets. They had to go across the ground to a shotgun only area to ruin a good pattern board. Also around that same time someone shot all the electric receptacles in our camper ares with .22 and hi power bullets. The cost was too much to fix so they shut down the camping at the club.

Several of us has caught non members that have climbed over the gate
That is a sad story... Thank you for sharing...

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Gee, I was headed to Silver Dollar today to finally pattern my new gun. Glad I saw this post. Guess I will put it off another 6 months or so now. Silver Dollar obviously is working through some serious problems now. I thought the board was poorly located anyway. Guess I will keep on "patterning" on targets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a guess,but the contractors working on the dirt pile were complaining about shot hitting their equipment.
Thinking they could have complained about the pattern board.Several days we weren't allowed to shoot on any banks from the handicap bank toward the sound barrier.
Just a thought.
Pat

·
Registered
269 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the few shots shot at the steel pattern board reached the guys working behind that very tall pile of dirt, and let's be reasonable, if you hit the pattern board the pellets stop right there. When thinking about this we should also think about the reduced participation in shooting events at the $$. The old timers say events like the State Shoot and the Grand were limited to 150 squads, not near that many these days. And it's interesting to note that very few shooters from outside the immediate area come to big shoots anymore at the $$. I wonder why???? Getting rid of the pattern board is but a symptom, there are much bigger problems.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the few shots shot at the steel pattern board reached the guys working behind that very tall pile of dirt, and let's be reasonable, if you hit the pattern board the pellets stop right there. When thinking about this we should also think about the reduced participation in shooting events at the $$. The old timers say events like the State Shoot and the Grand were limited to 150 squads, not near that many these days. And it's interesting to note that very few shooters from outside the immediate area come to big shoots anymore at the $$. I wonder why???? Getting rid of the pattern board is but a symptom, there are much bigger problems.
It’s true, Bill, that attendance at the Dollar has been steadily declining over the last ten years but I think this is the trend nationwide in trap shooting. But please note that out of ten satellite grands in 2019 the Southern Grand was 3rd in attendance and only 18 shooters from being tied for second.

https://shootata.com/portals/0/pdf/2019ShootAttendance.pdf

And out of the 668 shooters who attended the Southern Grand only 135 were from Florida and only 228 were from the Southern Zone. So people are coming from “outside the immediate area”.

http://www.rjstuart.com/Demographics/SGRAND_DEMOGRAPHICS.PDF

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Getting rid of the pattern board is but a symptom, there are much bigger problems.
Yep ATA and NSSA shooting down here in my area are down about 60%-65% or so for reg. targets at Markham Park. Ever since the crash of 08. Its picked up a tad since the economy has turned around for practice type of shooting, but not so much for reg. targets. The snowbirds in the Winter almost double the number of shooters we have now. Peoples disposable income is now too low to enjoy family and shooting. Our Sporting Clays (NSCA) held on and did well for a time, but now it seems that the number here have fell off to a large degree as well. sigh!!! break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Getting rid of the 5 stand and the skeet ranges was a big issue. Getting through the county commission is a big issue. Getting all the reclamation work done is a big issue. Buying more land was a big issue. Getting current with permitting is a big issue. Overcoming past permitting omissions is a big issue. It seems that the owners of Silver are making a very large and somewhat risky commitment. I bet in 2 years Silver Dollar will be a wonderful place. But right now the do not have a viable place for a oattern board. And I guess the county can still do them harm or totally kaput.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Woodperson, you are so correct on all counts. If ELS didn’t give a s**t about the gun club they own they wouldn’t have spent what must have been thousands of dollars on attorney fees to fight the local homeowners. Could things have been done better/smarter in the past? Sure! But by all accounts ELS is stepping up to the pump now and I’m getting just a little bit sick of the bad mouthing of the club. In today’s environment, not just in Hillsborough County but nationwide, we should be doing everything we can to support our shooting venues. If the Silver Dollar were to cease operations that would be the end of any major registered competitions in Florida. Say goodbye to the Southern Grand, and what other club is capable of handling the state shoot? And now where are the locals going to shoot? Drive to Sarasota? Polk County? Robinson Ranch? The Silver Dollar is one special facility and has been making a lot of improvements over the last year. There is another thread on here that gives the details, so the naysayers need to find it and read it. But even before the improvements the Dollar was one hell of a great place to shoot, BS with friends and have lunch. Hell, and a draft beer if you are done shooting for the day! Like the saying goes: You don’t know what you got til it’s gone.

OK, rant over......
Denny Kennedy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts