Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you are doing a video of a Pat Trap breaking clays. Here are couple tips.

1. Take the video from the left hand side of the machine. Be careful that you are clear of the throw arm.

2. Playback. Download VLC Media Player, if you do not have it on your computer, pad, or phone if that is what you are taking the video.

3. When playing back the video with VLC Media Player click on the Playback tab and click on the Speed setting in the drop down menu. Then click slower. Repeat this step until the video plays at a speed that you can see the action in slow motion.

I just made a video on a machine that is occasionally breaking clays. With the playback speed reduced you can see the clay dropping and then bouncing on the elevator before the elevator fully extends up. When the elevator lowers, the clay it is lowered on the top of the singles finger then pushed away from the brush by the throwing arm and broken when the arm releases.

Hope this information about the VLC Media Player is helpful to someone.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CLEAN THE ELEVATOR.
It is quite rare that a Pat comes out of time , without breaking the chain.
Thanks for the information and I agree. The elevator has been cleaned and checked for burrs.

The purpose of the post was to make those that are not aware that they can play videos at a slower speed with VLC Media Player. That way they can see what is happening.

· Registered
218 Posts
It is possible for a G series PAT trap to get out of time without breaking the chain. Usually what causes it to get out of time is debris getting in the cogged belt and jumping a tooth on the motor pulley. With the installation of the debris guard on the motor pulley the problem with G series getting out of time is eliminated. If its not possible to take a video just turn the pump off and on while it is cocking and look at the position of the elevator as the target is dropping on to it. If the elevator is not completely elevated or has began to go down when the target is dropped it is most likely out of time.

Steve R

· Premium Member
1,169 Posts
It is possible for a G series PAT trap to get out of time without breaking the chain. Usually what causes it to get out of time is debris getting in the cogged belt and jumping a tooth on the motor pulley. With the installation of the debris guard on the motor pulley the problem with G series getting out of time is eliminated. If its not possible to take a video just turn the pump off and on while it is cocking and look at the position of the elevator as the target is dropping on to it. If the elevator is not completely elevated or has began to go down when the target is dropped it is most likely out of time.

Steve R
I've had that very thing happen several times.

· Registered
2,003 Posts

Steve R
EXACTLY !!! While throwing Lowry clays ,we had this happen a lot until we installed the guard.

· Registered
152 Posts
We have 4 Pat Traps at my home club. One would get out of time fairly regularly. Debris guard was installed. Fairly new machine. Maybe 80 000 targets through it at the time but it was 6 or 7 years old.

Friend of mine who does Pat Trap maintenance at a much larger club told me that the shaft on the hydraulic motor with the small sprocket and belt pulley is tapered and that the pulley will occasionally slip. He suggested to install a roll pin through the pulley and shaft through the thicker part of the pully or the taper lock area. We did that and haven't had a problem since. That was summer of 2018.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It was the timing and the trap is now retimed.

My intention with my post was to make people aware that if they take a video of the clays loading and breaking with say their Smart Phone that they can play it back and slow the speed by using VLC Media Player. By slowing the speed down one can see what is happening. Is the clay being lowered by the elevator or is the clay dropping.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installed the roll pin in the drive sprocket 2 weeks ago. Went through plus 3,000 targets and it is out of time again. Mark I put on drive sprocket to shaft did not slip. Has anyone encountered the large sprocket slipping?

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Installed the roll pin in the drive sprocket 2 weeks ago. Went through plus 3,000 targets and it is out of time again. Mark I put on drive sprocket to shaft did not slip. Has anyone encountered the large sprocket slipping?
The belt will jump a tooth from debris, but I have never seen the sprocket slip on the shaft. A piece of broken bird will get between the belt and the cog and make it jump a tooth or two. That puts the elevator out of time. You retime it through the chain. Pat makes a guard that will stop that. Easy to install.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The belt will jump a tooth from debris, but I have never seen the sprocket slip on the shaft. A piece of broken bird will get between the belt and the cog and make it jump a tooth or two. That puts the elevator out of time. You retime it through the chain. Pat makes a guard that will stop that. Easy to install.
Debris guard came with the machine. Called Pat Trap and spoke with Charlie. Placing a straight edge across the belt drive pulleys slight pressure was placed on the belt at the center point between the pulleys that deflection measured almost 1 inch. Charlie said to adjust drive motor to obtain closer to 1/2 inch deflection. He also suggested to place a mark on the shaft then to the belt pulley.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.