Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I had a difficult time getting the Pat Trap to function today when calling "Pull". Happened on multiple stations. Started on 5 and when I moved to 1 the troubles started and continued on the rest of the posts. Only thing I can figure is the shooter in front of me had the mic on the left and it just would not pick me up. Tried changing from "Pull" to "Ull" and other grunts that did not seem to work. A couple of others had a few missed calls, but no where as bad as my issues. I did not move the mics; should have done so. This was at the Leetown Gun Club in WV. Normally not an issue for me; Duh!

Any suggestions about to correct this matter?

·
Registered
90 Posts
For some reason I had a difficult time getting the Pat Trap to function today when calling "Pull". Happened on multiple stations. Started on 5 and when I moved to 1 the troubles started and continued on the rest of the posts. Only thing I can figure is the shooter in front of me had the mic on the left and it just would not pick me up. Tried changing from "Pull" to "Ull" and other grunts that did not seem to work. A couple of others had a few missed calls, but no where as bad as my issues. I did not move the mics; should have done so. This was at the Leetown Gun Club in WV. Normally not an issue for me; Duh!

Any suggestions about to correct this matter?
If they are wireless make sure batteries are LIKE NEW - otherwise they have a tendency to shut themselves off.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
When you look down at the microphone it should look like the face of a target. If it doesn’t you should adjust it so it does. Call loud and don’t call so quickly you beat the interrupter on the trap machine. Beyond that it could be something as simple as loose connections.

Good luck.
Jon Reitz

·
Registered
104 Posts
What brand or style of voice release were you using?
The Pat Trap was probably not your problem.
Give us some more information.
I know there are many knowledgeable people on this site that can offer you good advise.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm gonna go with user error for this. I see new or younger shooters who don't give the machine time to get the next target ready before they call. That really messes with the rhythm of the squad, and that shooter usually shows some frustration. I don't have any documentation to support this, but in my experience a call that begins with a hard consonant sound, such as "pull" or "call" is more likely to result in a proper target release, and calls that begin with vowels like "ahh" or a grunt like "uhhh" or a softer consonant like "hoe" (yes, there are plenty of jokes there), are more likely to not get picked up by the microphone.

And that has nothing to do with the placement of the microphone. I don't understand right handed shooters that put the mic on their right side, or lefties that put the mic on their left side. You're literally putting a wooden barrier between your mouth and the microphone. There's no way that can help their call to get picked up by the microphone.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
If you are using a Canterbury wireless and you have a deep low bass voice you may find this to be the problem. I have a low voice and far too often the Canterbury wireless will not throw a bird. I may have to call 50 times to get 25 targets. Others, with higher pitched voices do not get anywhere near the number of "no throws" that I do. It is not a matter of timing being too quick, or mike placement because others on the squad use the same timing and placement and do not get the problem. The Canterbury wired voice release do not give me anywhere near the problems that the wireless do. This is across several different clubs and the only thing in common is the wireless Canterbury release.

The only other thing I have noticed is that, at one particular club, an entire squad or two or three may have a "no throw" problem but then suddenly it will start working fine, even in the middle of a squad with no one having done anything. The only thing I can figure is that some device like a cell phone or tablet or other rf transmission device may be interfering with the voice release and when the device is shut down or moves out of range, the problem goes away. I have this suspicion but I do not have any way it can be proved.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Remember that it takes about the count of 2 for the trap to load. The microphones also shut off for the count. If you call to Quick you will not get a Target. People don't realize this and once they are told it usually works ok

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP here - This is an older wired mike setup. I usually don't have any problem with it. I don't mount until the prior shooter has completely finished firing, no rushing, and call "Pull" loudly.

Thinking more about it, the mikes were on my left side past my shoulder and facing straight up. The prior shooter was a lot taller than me. Also, this was my second relay and I had no issues on the first one. I'm thinking that I should have repositioned the mike directly in my front with the cone facing me. I shoot at this club regularly and never have had this issue before.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I have shot using a Ventriloquist for years - one of several things it has taught me is that when you call for the target and it does not throw - do not panic - do not get mad - do not get flustered and get louder and louder. These same principles apply to the mics on the Canterbury - calmly change mic position slightly, change your voice inflection a little - something like say the first letter of pull as PA rather than PU, - or to extend your call - PaalllllllLLLL --- the mic throws off a frequency and not necessarily a volume deal. Changing your voice inflection a little generally takes care of it unless it is a mechanical issue. Plus, wait a few seconds after the last shooter and let the machine cycle and set, Screaming and throwing the mic around will not fix the problem. Some times is indeed a bad connector or bad wire or bad mic - but most often it is the call.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Instead of yelling loader and faster, call out starting higher and allow the tone to get lower during a drawn out call. This seems to make a difference more than any other reason. Remember that yelling louder will possibly trigger the mic next to you also at the same time. This cancels out the call!

Other than that, it could be many other things that are mentioned. Like stated above, getting mad will only destroy your score. Relax, and get mad afterwards. Stay focused. I know, harder to do than say. LOL

Trust me, when you are in charge of these things, nothing will destroy your round faster than hearing someone on your squad, or the next trap over screaming repetitively at the mics. Let alone when they don't come out when I call.

I recall an instance where I was working on a call the trap gal notified me of the problem, and I would call into a mic and nothing happened. I called all different lengths, tones within my normal range and nothing. She leans over and calls, bird flies out. After giving her a perplexed stare, thinking we are now good, I call repetitively again and now getting irritated, nothing! She leans over and in her high pitched kind of calm voice, calls again, bird flies out. I lean forward and in my highest pitch I could muster call pull, the bird flies out.

So, the tone does make a difference, not necessarily the volume.

Reactions: Doc!

·
Premium Member
6,804 Posts
Mics are checked to operate in a certain DB range. All 5 mics should be in that set range. One mic to low or to high (sensitivity) will throw field off. Its all in the tone of the shooter.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,184 Posts
Oxidation on the wired pin contacts on the plug. Mics are out in all kinds of weather including rain, snow, humidity. Oxidation on copper, chrome, or tin contact pins will cause problems. Especially if they are older units. I use Deoxit spray contact cleaner on the female pins on the mic plugs and on the male pins on the box. Spray and run the plug in and out a few times usually does it. I do this every couple of months. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
Canterbury system requires a length of call duration, short barks or yips do nothing. The mics all go into an IC which trips the relay in the trap house when one of the mics has more voltage on its input than the other 4. If you have a problem try stretching it out a bit. Slow pulls usually indicate a bad mic, the adjacent one catches your call and that's why it's slow.

HM

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Contact cleaner always helps , like Township Chief posted !! The Electronic Boxes, Mic's & cables are old in Leetown ,but every so often it's our voice ( tone ) as well . On top of it , yesterday was a lot of humidity in the air

1 - 20 of 20 Posts