Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any PAT trap mechanics out there that would lend me some help? I got a trap that the arm will not cock (type SW). I’ve replaced the release on/off switch, relays (both) and the solid state relay along with the throw arm limit switch. All the parts replaced were swapped with a working trap and that trap still works and this one don’t. This has been going on for days. It will work for a little then nothing for hours or days. Could it be the bottom valve? What else could be checked?

It seems like there is no power but I have 120v coming from the jumper on the red wire over the the release on/off switch, then when release switch is on, I have 120v on both sides of the fuse. That bottom throw arm-turret valve is all I can think of next but hate to rip that off a good one just to check it.....

Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
Any PAT trap mechanics out there that would lend me some help? I got a trap that the arm will not cock (type SW). I’ve replaced the release on/off switch, relays (both) and the solid state relay along with the throw arm limit switch. All the parts replaced were swapped with a working trap and that trap still works and this one don’t. This has been going on for days. It will work for a little then nothing for hours or days. Could it be the bottom valve? What else could be checked?

It seems like there is no power but I have 120v coming from the jumper on the red wire over the the release on/off switch, then when release switch is on, I have 120v on both sides of the fuse. That bottom throw arm-turret valve is all I can think of next but hate to rip that off a good one just to check it.....

Any suggestions???
Give Charlie a call at Pat Trap.
I'm positive he'll have you up and running in 15 minutes.
MG

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MG. I’ve never had to call them directly so I thought I would try here. If there helpful, I’ll give that a try. I was also thinking CAC has a technician there too.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,743 Posts
Cory Natcher at CAC knows his stuff, Matt. Also see if Larry Shade can give you a hand, and of course Steve Huber. Once the Shoot at Silver Dollar is over, Larry should be back at Valley on some Wed. Nites. I guess it's one of the machines on Bank 11 right?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Check hydraulic fluid, check to see if it is air locked, also check the hydraulic motor that cockes the arm.
Are you using Mobile 1 ?. You can also change the fluid.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Check hydraulic fluid, check to see if it is air locked, also check the hydraulic motor that cockes the arm.
Are you using Mobile 1 ?. You can also change the fluid.
That would be a good place to start.

·
Banned
485 Posts
Magnet on # 2 switch, I think? We had something like this happen at a neighboring club. We replaced the soft shift valve to no avail. We had checked all switches for continuity, and had it, but magnet went weak, and was not stopping throw arm in right position. At wits end, We called Golden West, and They diagnosed the problem in a jiffy. Our head trap repairman, may see this thread, and I am sure He could tell You exactly what it was. It definitely was a weak magnet, I just can’t remember which switch. It was a devil to replace even with the trap on a table outside the bunker. I recommend that You contact Your nearest Pat dealer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,743 Posts
We bought those machines from CAC and Cory is readily available. I'd start there, unless Steve Huber is in town. We're gonna come up on Thursday and can help, maybe.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Mike, good to hear from ya. It’s not bank 11. My boys started shooting now so I bought a pair of PAT Traps and we are gonna build a trap at home. We have some land and a farm so it will save us TONS of travel for practice cause all the clubs are 30-40 minutes away from us.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the exact problem on 2 of our SW's. It ended up being the number 4 switch, I added the updated microswitch and got rid of the magnetic reed switch. They seem to work alot better

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed the #4 switch tonight and the bottom valve. Still won’t cock. I talked to Joe at PAT and he was thinking the bottom valve too. Still looking for any idea that makes sense. I’m starting to think this is a weird issue like a broken neutral.... I worked pretty late today and couldn’t be standing in front of the trap while talking to him. I will call again tomorrow unless I have other suggestions.

thanks to all who took a moment to help.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s something with the pump/motor. I swapped them and the good trap don’t work now and the bad one does so I have located the issue. It’s noisy but still turning. I’m gonna switch motors and see, might just be that! What is a cheap replacement motor?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Just call Pat Trap and replace the unit and be done with it Buy new Mobile 1 oil , flush the system and bleed the system and you will be good to go for many years..OEM works best.I am glad you found the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts