Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an adjustment for target curl to help offset a side wind? in other terms, is there an adjustment that will cant the target to allow it to emerge flat as it flies away?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Yes, there is an adjustment on the deck allowing the right side(as you are standing behind the trap) of the deck to be moved up and down. On certain brand of targets the movement is not enough. We had to shim the right side of the complete trap to take the curl out.

Ajax

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Mirage

Is it doing this right out of the house?

One of ours was doing that once, and we found a small piece of broken target stuck where the target rests before thrown. Or it may have been on the arm under the rubber.

Either way, we cleared it, and flight was normal, even when we had a cross wind. Sometimes with a crosswind, the target will curl off one way or the other toward the end of it's flight.

Also, sand the arm rubber to get a bit more spin on the target. That may help also.

Cold weather makes them do funny things.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
It's been about three years since I had to adjust our traps and we have used the same manufacture of targets, so no more adjustments has been needed. The deck pivots on the left side and the right side of the deck comes from the factory with a 1/4 inch rise.

I won't be at our club until Wed. I can tell you for sure then. Just going by memory(and it's not good) It seems like there is a large bolt in a pillow block bearing behind the Gray control box. It's in a slot and moves up and down. The bolt has about a 1 inch head on it. It is a lot easier with two men to do the job. It's hard to hold the deck up and tighten the bolt.

If no more information comes in, I'll check Wednesday.

Ajax

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
According to PAT Trap. One of the most common mistakes a club makes upon installation of the traps, they level the throwing deck and not the base. But even then, with some targets brands, there is not enough adjustment to compensate for the fight of certain targets brand.

Ajax

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I was pretty close. The pillow block bearing is on the right side ,at the back of the Gray control box. It is attached to a Red bracket that runs along the back of the deck. The bolt in the bearing needs to be loosened and you can raise or lower the Red bracket on the right side. The Red bracket is slotted on the right side. That moves the deck up and down on the right side. You may have to loosen the bolt on the left but I don't think you will.

Ajax

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mirage-S, if as Ajax says the bolt in the center of the right pillow block bearing is at it's max or doesn't completly fix the problem there is two other adjustments. The two pillow block bearings are slotted for minor adjustments. Loosen the two 3/8" bolts on the right side and raise the deck to as far as the slots will allow and if that's not enough you can lower the deck by loosning the left pillowblock bearing bolts. Remember if you raised the right side of the machine you should be lowering the left side, if the first and second moves weren't enough. Let us know how it all turned out because we all learn from these post's, thanks!!

Tom Boyd

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
As Ajax mentioned above, Level the base first.(left to right).As I remember, we installed a couple of washers on the bolts on the right side(looking from the rear) between the frame & base to bring it to level. Cured the problem for us. Target flight was level after that.

Big Jack

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help. I will let you know how we make out after the weekend of shooting. p[ray for plus 40 degree weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts