Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly thinking aloud out here, but shot 100 hdcp yesterday from the 23 and have been in a rut shooting it, struggling to get above a 90. First two traps shot a 20, and a 21. I would say 7-8 of my misses were on hard angles, I found I would get on the same trajectory on them, drive my gun "through" the bird I think the millisecond I covered up the bird I would pick my head up and get a lost....

My last 2 traps I made a conscious effort to not drive my gun through the bird but underneath and I ran my last 50 on handicap and had absolutely no issues with hard angles...it was strange as I had to slightly adjust my mechanics and instead of pulling the trigger as I arrived to the bird on the same flight path, I made the shot as soon as I passed underneath the bird and all of my hard angle shots were hit with a lot more confident and ease....

I made a diagram on what I am trying to explain, the first one below is what I've been doing and the bottom is what I changed up to run my last 50...wondering if I should try and make this change with my singles as well

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo
8,272 Posts
Sounds like you figured out what works for you, hopefully others will take this into consideration if they too are struggling.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had a similar problem with hard lefts from post 1 and sometimes hard rights from post 5, I went to our club and locked the trap down on hard lefts then stood on post 1 and shot 100 of them then moved to post 5 and shot another 100 hard rights until I had it figured out it's now just about automatic when I see a hard right or hard left from post 1 or 5 , it really helped my confidence and my scores showed it.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Looks like you are holding a low gun similar to my hold points. Your info is on target and when I can keep myself in the gun, it works for me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Anytime you lose sight of the target two things happen, the gun stops and you lift your head to find it!! Keep the target in sight at all times thru the break, by this I mean doing exactly what you did by staying under the it to keep in sight!! Raise your comb to adjust POI to allow for this transition, and yes for singles as well! Remember the less you have to think about the little things the better the results will be. Good luck and congratulations on the 50 straight!!

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,885 Posts
1. Where does your gun currently shoot on the pattern board in relation to your point of aim? ….. how many inches high? From what you’ve told us, nobody can say what should be changed.

2. From you diagrams, it looks like you’re showing us a pattern that hits above the aim point (x). The second diagram, your pattern is being applied to the target at a point higher than (x)….. so far, so good.

3. 23 yards is very different than 16 yards. At 16 yards, you can rise up to meet the target and break it. At 23 yards, you’ll likely shoot above and behind the target if you do the same. To me, your second diagram looks like the proper application of technique…….. you’re not crossing into the flight path as you were in the first diagram, but you are pulling into the face of the target and applying the pattern at the intersect point. You’re barrel is coming into the kill zone in front of the target. Remember too that the far right and left angles appear flatter than straights and light quartering at 23 yards (+).

Other than that, it seems you’ve discovered an important difference between 16-20 yards vs 23 yards and further.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I never lose sight of the target.
If I was to cover the target or push through it I would hear lost. Congratulations on your breakthrough.

Shawn

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,762 Posts
It seems to me from what you're saying is that you were aiming, & that's a sure prescription for lost targets. In your 2nd scenario it seems to me you're concentrating on the target without consideration of the sight/target relationship. I believe you may have learned/taught yourself to shoot instinctively. Good for you, a major breakthrough.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It looks to me like you are giving the target in the second diagram a little more lead or forward allowance. It also looks like you are staying on the flight path of the target instead of raising your swing up to the target flight path.

On HDCP targets from 21 yards and farther back if I don't lead the hard rights and hard lefts more than I do 16 yard hard rights and lefts I will miss behind the HDCP targets.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Seems as though your pattern is/was "high". Raising the comb will make the pattern even HIGHER!!!!!!!!! But if by raising the comb you are able to see the target better it MAY help. I suggest leaving everything alone and concentrate on shooting a bit under the target-just like you did on that 50 straight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Were you using 7.5 or 8s? 1200 or 1250? Two eyed shooter or one, just kidding by chance we're more aggressive to the target on your second 50, for me I feel it helps with following thur.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Were you using 7.5 or 8s? 1200 or 1250? Two eyed shooter or one, just kidding by chance we're more aggressive to the target on your second 50, for me I feel it helps with following thur.
No I found being too aggressive is what caused me to drive through the birds...on the last 5 I made an effort to keep under the bird when swinging past it

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
The illustration dosen't show the proper angle.
The line showing the gun is coming out of the trap . Shouldn't it be farther back from the trap?

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,428 Posts
my POI @ 40 yards is roughly 6-7" above POA, so about 80/20
It’s academic, but 6” is 70/30. A pattern is 30”, radius 15”.

Your swing path is more parallel flight path on the second technique as others have pointed out. In singles, you can get away with transecting the flight path, which is what you probably do (image/technique 1).

Repeat what works for you. Replicate it for other disciplines. Nicely done on the breakthrough. Now practice it until you can’t miss.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts