Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of threads on screw-in beads(no pun intended) but couldn't find anything on the pressed beads. I lost my ivory bead last weekend while shooting but was able to get one from MidwayUSA in 4 days. :3a:

Is there a special procedure for installing these? It is not going in without some work. I am assuming it is not really a press fit because pressing on the plastic bead with anything solid would break it. More of a tight fit with some bonding agent? Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
most center beads are a press fit. when i was doing this kind of work; i used a black "super glue" . loctite makes one called black max. but pretty expensive for a one time use. i got mine from Klingspor. part #CA00011. $5.95 + shipping. degrease the tapered hole and the sight. scratch up the sight with a coarse file. you can tap the sight in lightly with a wooden dowel. best if you can contour the dowel with a radius for the top of the sight. try the sight first to make sure it will go most of the way in before using the adhesive. this adheive is slow dry (a few minutes)

·
Registered
239 Posts
OH; i forgot. use acetone as a degreaser and to wipe off any excess that wicks out of the sight hole before it dries

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for that information. The sight hole is not tapered, nor is it threaded. I noticed on the Lyman website, they say to drill with a #29 bit and taper with a reamer until the bead sits at the correct depth. The new bead sits in a metal, tapered base. I have many reamers but nothing that is the right size and Lyman doesn't sell one. Does anyone know the correct reamer for a Lyman #10?

·
Registered
239 Posts
ir the bead is tapered and the hole is not; and the new bead bottoms out in the hole; use a sufficent amount of the adhesife to fill the hole to overflow, then clean up with acetone. i have a few times plugged the hole with a brass plug, then drilled and tapped for a threaded bead. i think that there are some ivory type beads out there with straight sides and no metal sleeve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke to Larry this morning. He said he orders the reamers 10 at a time from Brownell and took the time to look through some books to try to find the Brownell part number but was unable. I called Brownell and they were unable to help me. Odd that Lyman doesn't offer a reamer since the sight has a tapered base and is hard to match.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts