Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for any and all information I can get on an original Parker. Like grade, year built, stock option, multi barrel, and all this. If you can help, send me a pm.

Thanks in advance,
Skip

·
Premium Member
13,511 Posts
Are you looking for info on a specific gun??

I have the "Parker Story" and can look it up for you.

Reactions: Seitz 555

·
Registered
24,663 Posts
I’m looking for any and all information I can get on an original Parker. Like grade, year built, stock option, multi barrel, and all this. If you can help, send me a pm.

Thanks in advance,
Skip
Go here:
Look through the options/chapters.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
What flash indicated. On the PGCA Home Page see "Research Letters". It is likely that the records could document the original specs of your gun, after purchase repairs by Parker or Remington, and possibly who ordered the gun and later owners.

Reactions: Seitz 555

·
Registered
879 Posts
What Drew posted but PGCA letter won't provide you if the shotgun has been refinished as Parkers above "D" grade require a through inspection. I collected Parkers years ago, it was a learning curve, even then so many refinished guns from the 60's,70's and 80's advertised as original that were not by dealers who knew they were not original. Some of that problem was solved when the PGCA crew that went to the Remington Arms @ Illion, spent several days copying the ledger books that were kept in a safe in a damp basement of the plant.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Song Dog, I'm not sure what you're saying about Parkers above D grade needing an inspection. I was in the Parkers Gun Collectors Association for ten or so years and never knew of, or read anywhere that D grade guns needed a inspection. As far as guns being refinished, that's more of a buyer beware that only experience will solve. There's no way anyone could say any gun of any grade was refinished without inspecting it first hand.

·
Premium Member
13,511 Posts
The grapevine has it that there were a lot of 'low level' guns that were done up and 'converted' to higher grade guns. These were being offered as all original guns in perfect condition, etc. Some specific names were tied to some of this but I will not go there.

When The Parker Story came out a lot of people were surprised to find their A grade was a dolled up D grade gun.

I have seen this personally with a Fox 16 bore presented as a B grade with a straight English stock. With removal of the stock it was very clear the trigger guard had been extended to properly fit the English stock. Deeper digging showed the B grade was in fact a C or D (I forget which) when it left the factory.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Song Dog, I'm not sure what you're saying about Parkers above D grade needing an inspection. I was in the Parkers Gun Collectors Association for ten or so years and never knew of, or read anywhere that D grade guns needed a inspection. As far as guns being refinished, that's more of a buyer beware that only experience will solve. There's no way anyone could say any gun of any grade was refinished without inspecting it first hand.
I was also a PGCA member too, not as long as you but long enough, "inspection" for original features/finish, should have use "C" or "B" grade as think you thought I was meaning upgrading D grade to higher grade?

·
Registered
879 Posts
The grapevine has it that there were a lot of 'low level' guns that were done up and 'converted' to higher grade guns. These were being offered as all original guns in perfect condition, etc. Some specific names were tied to some of this but I will not go there.

When The Parker Story came out a lot of people were surprised to find their A grade was a dolled up D grade gun.

I have seen this personally with a Fox 16 bore presented as a B grade with a straight English stock. With removal of the stock it was very clear the trigger guard had been extended to properly fit the English stock. Deeper digging showed the B grade was in fact a C or D (I forget which) when it left the factory.
Those Parker peddlers still out there and those guns do re-surface too. The best story was the $110,000 for the (Czar?) Parker that was determine to be a fake that was settled outside the court room ordered by the Judge who said if the case wasn't settled among gentlemen one of them was going to loose badly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts