Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you give your opinion of where the canadian and us made para 45s fit in the 45 hierarchy where reliability, fit, finish, and accuracy are concerned. There are a ton of 45 makers out there now... Have a 14.45LDA and am wondering...keep or move it out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Canadian P13, 14'setc.. are no longer offered by USA Para. Those were the high cap' options and what made Para the choice of the FBI. Allegedly their service now sucks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a para carry ld6 that I just sold because I didn't use it. I have other .45's I sold as well.

I was very impressed with the gun , fit and finish were great, gun shot perfectly, for a double action only, it had a very good smooth trigger, like most da only rather long pull, but very smooth.

If I were still shooting handguns very much, I would keep the para ordnance. I think the us models are as good as the canadians were.

My opinion, the para is as good as any out there. If I were shooting a .45 auto, it would be at the top of my list.

I just sold a colt 1911 govt. combat model, and I liked the para better.

August

·
Registered
598 Posts
I was never crazy about Para's until I fired one. It turned out to be the most accurate 1911 I have ever fired, and that includes models from the boutique high-end makers as well as some of the more commonly seen 1911's.

I attribute the accuracy and performance of that Para to its ramped barrel, which seems to secure the barrel in the frame more solidly and consistently than most of the other brands I have fired. I am not sure if all Para models have ramped barrels, and I am not a 1911 guru by any means. Perhaps the Para I used was a fluke. All I know is that it shot exceedingly well.

bluedsteel

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I have a 14-45 and a 16-40 both the limited models. Accurate, reliable, feed everything. The .40 spent 10 years in action pistol competition and has 10's of thousands of rounds through it, generally shot as fast as you can pull the trigger. The outside has a lot of scratches and there are places where the finish is pretty thin, but it still puts a hole where I aim it every time. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have had a few, I currently have a .45 LDA Limited, it is very reliable and accurate. I have more expensive custom built 1911s that aren't more accurate. I haven't dealt with their customer service.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Para P14 frames had a obvious casting flaw on the left side of the frame near the slide stop for years. Later ones are better. The need a ramped barrel to feed consistently, if fit just right it can add some case support, it doesn't add strength. For years Para made ok guns the main problem is the small parts, they are mostly poorly done castings so you should replace all the small parts. The LDA had many problems, mainly because it had more of those poorly made small parts. The new made in the USA Para's look very good, time will tell if they keep the quality up but for now they are good. My opinions are based on my experience shooting thousands of rounds in competition with these pistols and I have no intention to disparage any product or company.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Para firearms outwardly seem fine as I have never owned one. I can verify their service and parts department lack a lot. I tried to order a hammer for one of their guns and was flatly told to "send it in". I advised the gentleman that I worked in a FFL gun shop and could take care of the repair. I also reminded the gentleman that I could buy hammers from various suppliers for colts, Kimber and Sprinfields etc. No response! My take is the Canadian company Para is operating in the business model practiced in Canada. Never was able to get a hammer. Just an FYI for any perspective Para buyers. Jerry

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
IIRC, last American Rifleman mag had an article where PARA was fully a USA operation now. Improvements in everything from weapons to customer service. I don't own one. So the info is from a magazine. Check the link above.

Don T

·
Registered
217 Posts
i own 4 para ordnance .45 1911's. They are fantastic guns. They are right up there with high end Kimbers and Springfields. I have a Para Signature Series .45 that I got about 17 years ago and have shot many standard and handloaded ammo in IPSC competitions and have had no issues. The only times I may have had feed issues are with very low powered low weight handloads. I made these for speed shooting and reduced recoil. the only problem I had was 1 magazine out of about 20 quit feeding on me.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great Guns! I own 4 of them. Right up there with high end Kimbers and Springfields. The p14 are great to shot accurate as can be and well worth it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Have 3 Para's with my P14 being a Canadian made gun. All are fine 1911's, as nice as any Kimber or Springfield I have held. I'd have no problem buying another if the right one came along.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a bunch of friends that use Para's in action matches mainly because of the double stack feature.
To a man all of them have been extensively modified for reliability. Many small parts need replacement if you're going to see hard service.
I'm a RO at a large club and I've never seen a Para single stack. I don't know what that means if anything.

·
Sky Buster
4,032 Posts
I had one in .45ACP. Broke two Power Extractors before I got one
that held up. I also never cared for the cast frame. I'll take
forged every time.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Had a 14 .45 and couldn't get it to run more than 5 or 6 shots before it would stovepipe. Tried every load, had the ramp polished, ete. etc. etc. Finally had the ejection port enlarged and that fixed the problem. Ran good then, accurate and a lot of fun to run rapid fire with.

JMHO

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks to David Miller, Para has left Canada. I don't blame them, the gun making environment was getting decidedly unfriendly. Our loss. The LDA trigger is like no other, I really liked the ones I had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts