Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been loading federal paper hulls for shooting long Oakley's 45yrds+ lately I've been have alot of shells that are duds sometimes the wad doesn't even clear! The barrel is always full of unburn powder. Federal paper hull 1.5oz of #4s 32 grains of Longshot powder with the orange waa114 wad? Last week had 4 out of one box not go off! Any help would be great.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've been loading federal paper hulls for shooting long Oakley's 45yrds+ lately I've been have alot of shells that are duds sometimes the wad doesn't even clear! The barrel is always full of unburn powder. Federal paper hull 1.5oz of #4s 32 grains of Longshot powder with the orange waa114 wad? Last week had 4 out of one box not go off! Any help would be great.
Noticed your load specifications, I wasn't aware Federal GM papers were available in 10 gauge. Seriously, sounds like some of your hulls may have gotten damp internally. They can be like a sponge when exposed to humid/damp conditions.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I would make two suggestions.
Find a wad made for a straight wall case . (sound like you are have blow by)
Go to a Federal 209A primer for the slow or Ball powders.(they are hard to start)

Good luck,
Ajax

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
If not damp conditions where hulls are stored, make sure flash hole is somehow not covered and finally, you do realize quite a bit of powder can crawl down the was your using in that case.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I use 1 1/8oz of 6s over a windjammer wad with 28.5 grains of longshot in a rem hull and a win primer It breaks them just as hard and is better on your shoulder lol

·
Supporting Vendor
5,828 Posts
Your problem is the wad you are using. Wads meant for a Winchester hull will not always seal in a straight wall hull. The Federal paper hull has a bigger inside diameter compared to a Remington STS or Winchester AA hull. When the wad does not seal properly you end up with a squib load and unburnt powder in the barrel. Try a wad meant for a straight wall hull - like a Federal 12SO. Longshot needs a wad with a good powder seal in order to build adequate pressure to burn completely.

Reactions: Stl Flyn and anti

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Grandpasmodel12:

I used to load 1 1/2 oz of # 5's in a Federal Premium Plastic hull and/or the old Federal Hi Power plastic hull with the ultra high brass. I used 40 grains of Blue Dot, the old Federal F209 primer and the Remington RP12 wad. This was my "back pocket" load and it was a money winner. In your load, you may want to switch to a F209A primer and the Federal 12S4 wad. I would contact Ben at Alliant before I loaded it to be sure it is safe. I know some "old boys" from around Taylorsville, KY who developed a load using 2 oz of # 4's and a significantly reduced charge of Herco that is not in the books. When it is fired, it sounded like the "cough" of a mortar being fired. It took a while for the shot to get to target but it worked well. I don't know if Ben at Alliant could help with this.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have never had a problem using Winchester primer to light up Longshot. I think you hulls are damp.
Just curious since you mentioned it - is it worth trying to dry out paper hulls, or is it too much of a risk they'll split? On rare occasions I find them laying about the ATA fields but many times the grass is wet and some of the hulls get damp.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,828 Posts
A while back I loaded some Wally World Federals (fiber base wad) that I picked up off the ground. I shot a couple of boxes of the reloads a day or two later. They all functioned properly. About a week later I shot some more of them and 50% would not fire (the primer did not go off). The hills were probably wet inside (fiber base wad) and it took some time for the moisture to migrate to the primer.

Now I leave scavenged hulls in an open container in my shop (controlled humidity) for a week before reloading them.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Anti, just put them on a tray and put them in and oven at 150 for a few minutes. Or lay them out in the sun for a hour or so. You should be fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts