Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a small heads up, to pass on some information, from some experiences I've been living over the past days. I'm a few weeks from back surgery, the back is great, the pain is gone, but I'm in the biggest battle I've ever fought with "Hydromorphone", a narcotic pain reliever. I now understand why so many people are battling addiction with prescribed pain relievers.
If you have any upcoming surgery, or medical procedure develop a plan with your doctor beforehand on how you are going to get off this crap. I'll take pain any day, over withdrawal. Plan ahead and save yourself some real grief.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
When I had by pass surgery, I figured out the "pain number" that got me a good dose of medicine that made me feel good. By the time I was discharged, I was on over the counter type of pain medicine and when at home did not have to take anything on a regular basis. Being an old fart the downside of that super pain medicine is constipation where it actually slows your intestines down.
I agree, plan with your doctor because I too have seen people really become used to this "good stuff"

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just a small heads up, to pass on some information, from some experiences I've been living over the past days. I'm a few weeks from back surgery, the back is great, the pain is gone, but I'm in the biggest battle I've ever fought with "Hydromorphone", a narcotic pain reliever. I now understand why so many people are battling addiction with prescribed pain relievers.
If you have any upcoming surgery, or medical procedure develop a plan with your doctor beforehand on how you are going to get off this crap. I'll take pain any day, over withdrawal. Plan ahead and save yourself some real grief.
As of last Tuesday all the west coast states now have a non-addictive, effective pain killer option available for back pain sufferers. ;-)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Rossi, I agree 100%.
I can't stand addictive pain meds.
When I had my back surgery, I got off them asap. Rather have the pain than the way they made me feel.
I had stenosis, slipped disk and degeneration. I can now do most anything, but pay for it the next day if I over do.
Even after the surgery, I still have back pain, but much better than before (could hardly walk).
Ibuprophen works pretty well for me. Just have to keep an eye on the kidney functions.
Good luck with your surgery. I hope all goes well. I was told with mine, it was 50/50.
George

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,723 Posts
Getting off of certain medications is very difficult and must be a step-down process. After I got divorced I spent 6 months stepping down (long story). I tried stopping cold turkey and cannot begin to tell you how messed up I got. At one point I could barely speak one legible sentence. I'm now drug free with the exception of heartburn med's and ibuprofen for aches and pains....but yeah, make sure you have a plan because depending on what you're taking, you'll need a plan to stop.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Prolonged use of NSAID, may ease your paid, but get ready for a possible heart attack-avoid, Ibuprofen, mobic, alive

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
As far as pain relievers go, there are side effects. After bypass surgery the pain Meds had me seeing bugs. Just last Wednesday I had a broken tooth extracted. Or should I say chiseled out and cut out. The NEW dentist (he graduated in Aug 2016) told me to take 2 Alieve along with 2 Tylenol every 6 hours for pain. Which I did for the first 12 hours. Then Thursday morning I ended up in the emergency room with Supra-ventricular Tachcardia. My heart rate was 224bpm. Ended up spending 4 day in the hospital.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have had 5 back surgeries a major one about 60 days ago, First time in 25 years I have been without back pain. I guess I'm one of those who are lucky enough to have a very high resistance to pain. The pain meds have never affected me to become addicted. usually stop them on 3rd day after surgery. I do have arthritis I have found Tylenol arthritis helps control it and is not hard on your kidneys.
I only have one kidney (cancer) so this is important to me. I know several people who have become addicted to pain meds it is tough to control. Stay strong and ask for help. Hope your recovery is great will pray for your help with med problems.

Buster

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have had issues with sciatica for 7 yrs. Last week the offending disc ruptured and I had surgery on that Monday. The surgery was such a relief , I didn't take any pain meds. I can't take most of that stuff. Knocks me out. I can deal with quite a bit of pain and would rather do that than take those meds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
2 mentions of alternative medicine already
no wonder big pharma is keeping it down. Could cut into the profits

Pain med addiction is one of the biggest contributors to heroin addiction. Much cheaper and easier to get most of the time.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Prolonged use of NSAID, may ease your paid, but get ready for a possible heart attack-avoid, Ibuprofen, mobic, alive

Phil Berkowitz
A heart attack isn't the only issue with these pain relievers. Kidney and liver damage are another danger of over use. Anything that goes in your mouth goes through those organs.

I have taken baby aspirin for years and was told if I need something for pain relief to use Tylenol or any other Acetaminophen type pain reliever.

·
Registered
840 Posts
FWIW---I had perforated my colon; in hosp 10 days last month. Fixed me with a temporary drain so no colostomy. I'm a lucky guy don'tcha know. My Surgeon got on me for playing hero by avoiding IV pain meds. "You won't get enough in here to get addicted. Remember, you can blow out a match but not a forest fire. Don't let the pain get ahead of you!" Go home meds included Percocet, never used any. Of course, your MWV.

Ernie

·
Registered
461 Posts
The nerve damage from 5 back surgery's has left me constant pain from the hips down to the bottom of my feet. I deal with it most days but there are days that I just can't grit my teeth enough. I take a pain pill that gets me over the hump. Do I worry about the addiction? Damm straight I do but don't have many other options. Pain management doctor hasn't given me to many options for a alternative. What's really a kicker is I'm slated for my second knee replacement in less then three weeks. Not looking forward to any of it. Pain, pills, constipation, therapy. BLAH

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
After heart bypass surgery I was lucky...one-half of one extra strength Tylenol was all I needed. My wife was not so fortunate. She had two vertebrae fused in early February this year, then experienced fluid accumulating on the lining around her lungs causing a couple of surgeries. Four hospitals, two code blues, one life flight helicopter ride, a heart ablation for a-fib later, she is now SLOWLY trying to get off Prednisone to keep fluid off her lungs. Been a rough year!! Withdrawing from powerful meds is a real challenge. Regards, Ed

·
Premium Member
18,261 Posts
My second back surgery in 2006, my doc told me to take Oxycodone for 5 days to get off to a good start when i got home. I told him I didn't need it as my pain was gone after surgery. he said take it anyway for 5 days. Well, I did. The 6th. day was OK, but the 7th was the $hits. I called my vet., and he said I was going through withdrawl and I would be fine on the 8 or 9th. day. I was and won't ever take it again. My 3rd. back surgery, he gave 100 tablets of Oxycodone before the surgery and I never took one of them when I got home. They make you constipated and that pain is worse than the back pain. LOL. I still have the 100 tablets of Oxycodone and that was Nov. 2014.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. My bride is a pharmacist so she helps me through all this. I had lower back fusion surgery back in early September. They made sure I was weaned off the real heavy stuff before I left the hospital after five days. They didn't put me on enough stool softeners while I was there, we had to ask for more. Didn't have a bowl movement until my last day. When I got home I was still on two different narcotic pain Meds several times a day. My wife put me on several stool softeners and I still had trouble going and ended up with a hernia to show for it. I was in such a fog I had to have my wife refill my pill counter. Didn't drive for about eight weeks until I could stop taking pain Meds on regular basis. I ended up with pinched sciatic nerve in my right leg that gives me constant pain. Been getting injections for that but doesn't help much. Can't have surgery to repair that for a while because I had pulmonary embolism a few weeks after surgery. I had been dealing with back pain for some thirty five years so I went through with surgery. I have an excellent neurosurgeon working on me. He had me on the table for over six hours dealing with a lifetime of arthritis so things happen. He says he can fix what's wrong but needs to wait for embolisms to shrink. Back surgery is a tough decision so don't make it lightly. I'll try to post on my progress. Good luck to anyone out there going through this. Not easy I know.
Dave

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have nerve damage in my back and legs. I have been taking the same narcotic pain medication for over 6 years. I
started with 3 - 8 mg tablets a day and still only use 3 tablets a day. I get the same relief now that I did 6 years ago.
The medication is Buprenorphine. It is not prescribed in the US to the extent it is in Europe. It works and your body does not build up a resistance to it. If you have to stay on pain medication ask your Doctor about Buprenorphine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My reason for posting this, is to plan before the surgery. Work with doctors, and health care professionals to outline
what to expect, when surgery is over. The problem that led to part of this, is I have a high pain threshold, and I don't
think the care givers really listened to me when asking what my pain was on a scale of 1 to 10. I always said it never got above a 5,
where someone else might have been a 10 with the same pain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rossi90, make sure you have someone to help you with monitoring of your pain medications and stool softeners when you get home. This is very important because, trust me, you will be in no condition for quite a while after you get home. Have them or yourself put a journal next to you medications. Mark down what you take and the time. Have the person with you watch you closely for at least the first week. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. BTW there are non narcotic pain blockers available which I asked about and happen to be one of the first they have used it on. One is called Neurontin. Ask your surgeon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts