Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody been able to find good off the shelf wood screws for pad mounting other than boxed flat head Phillips? I’m needing to add a pad spacer to my CG but don’t want to run out of thread length into the wood. Can’t remember seeing anything that resembled the CG factory screws at a hardware store.

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
Any decent hardware store (to include Lowes and Home Depot) will have a large selection of screws - in varying lengths.

You can also hit McMaster-Carr, MSC, Grainger on line for even larger selections of fasteners.

You just need to be willing to do some homework.

·
Registered
860 Posts
really want to up date your pad fastener = up date to metal wood nuts -- Took off my Krieghoff pad to replace and found they used a metal treading in the stock -- Great idea - up dated my browning stock - great for changing from winter to summer pads -and you will never wear out the holes.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Ace hardware or a place called fastenall used to carry threaded inserts that use a machine screw instead of a wood screw. Looks like a helicoil with course outer threads to bit into the wood.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Funny this is the top thread on the page tonight because I was just going to add an adjustable plate to my Zoli and noticed that the top screw hole was stripping and would only bite the last 1/8”. I’m going to replace them with threaded inserts and have noticed a few different kinds. Some say “soft wood” and I would think our gun stocks are hard. But with that in mind, the “hardwood” options all seem to be brass and with a screw slot instead of a hex head to screw it in. A few of the reviews I read of the brass slotted inserts had people saying the head stripped out and they just cut it flush with whatever they were doing. I’d hate to split the brass insert but I’d also hate to split the stock.

I’m pretty good with wood working, but this is the first time into this kind of wood and a mistake could be costly. Any advise on what inserts to use.

I also really think this is the best way to go. Easy and no wear on the stock.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have installed many brass inserts for adjustable butt plates and recoil pads. I use a short socket head screw to turn them in, disregard the screwdriver slots.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I read a bunch yesterday and today and I’ll be ordering some 8-32 thread inserts. That will be nice for adding and removing the pads.

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
Not taking away from the threaded insert idea - but wood screws can 'cut' thread in the wood as they enter.

Once you put in the inserts you will be metal on metal - and the alignment needed gets a lot more stringent. Think of installing a housing on a small engine or appliance when the housing is a bit bent.

Add to that the initial install of the insert has to be done to near perfection - for the same reasons...

They will certainly do the job, but you really need to be careful on the set up and execution on this project.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And when I’ve stripped wood, the old toothpick in the hole trick has always worked wonders.
I would have to think manufacturers keep using wood screws for that exact reason of process forgiveness. It’d be costly to ensure the precision of insert install compared to wood screws

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Not taking away from the threaded insert idea - but wood screws can 'cut' thread in the wood as they enter.

Once you put in the inserts you will be metal on metal - and the alignment needed gets a lot more stringent. Think of installing a housing on a small engine or appliance when the housing is a bit bent.

Add to that the initial install of the insert has to be done to near perfection - for the same reasons...

They will certainly do the job, but you really need to be careful on the set up and execution on this project.
This kind of fits into my thoughts this morning, couple that to thinking like a belt and suspenders............, while thinking about how different pads can use different hole spacing, led to the thought

Install the metal inserts so you can use screws that are not going to strip out in the wood. Then have an aluminum spacer made, maybe more than one and mount the new pad to that. This way if in changing recoil pads you get a different hole spacing you will not have to change the stock in any way and if you happen to strip out a hole in the spacer? Replace the spacer. Even if you never use the features of an adjustable pad mount it is doing the same thing, plus you don't have to worry about wood screws stripping out in the stock.

Al

·
Registered
517 Posts
Now that I’m going to use inserts my question is whether to use epoxy or not. My Zoli stock on the inside is a little thin and I think that was for balance due to the density of the piece of wood used in my stock. So I don’t want to drill out too much and I am going to use inserts for an 8-32 screw. I’m wondering if I should just epoxy it in so that it’s in there and doesn’t pull out, or if I should just screw it in so I can unscrew it and be able to go to a 10-24 screw insert if the metal 8-32 screw strips. I’m installing an adjustable butt plate so once I screw it on I won’t be taking it off except for removing the stock for maintenance if needed.

Thoughts?

·
Read Only
129 Posts
I’d just use metal screws. They have a nice flat surface to snug up flush to the plate in the pad (not counter sunk like wood screws) and use a Robertson square tool connection for a very secure connection.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts