Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a flat kick eez pad that doesn't fit my shoulder well and I was wondering if I can grind a dip in the middle of the flat part without ruining the pad.Thanks, Dcal.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Not only will you ruin the pad, but you'll shorten the LOP of your gun. Just but a new pad with the same thickness as your old pad but with the contoured shape
It is not difficult to fit the new pad to your gun. YouTube has several videos showing how it's done.
In the alternative, it is a routine and relatively inexpensive job for your local Gunsmith
If you want it "dead nuts perfect". Send it to Tron
John

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also ground at least a half dozen kick ease pads.if you have the right tools and equipment you can do it . I do have a complete shop though.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
I just bought an MX3 that has a Kickeez pad. The LOP was about a 1/4 longer in the center of the pad than my slightly concave pad on my old BT99+. I didn't like the inconsistency I was getting in my mount with the flat pad. I took the pad off and using just my vertical one inch belt sander, medium grit, easily ground the face concave until it matched my BT99 pad. Took about 3 minutes and cleaned the edges up with a finer piece of paper by hand. Looks fine, works great, piece of cake.

I would think if you don't have a vertical sander puttinga drum sander head in your drill and putting the drill in a vice would work just fine to shape the pad.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, a friend of mine has wood working tools and sanders if I do it I'll use his tools. As for LOP I figure I'll loose about 1/4" which I can live with especially in the winter time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just grinding the edges and finishing them to look good is enough work by it's self. To do the whole face seems like a lot of work.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Of course it can be done. We all love to give opinions here, almost always having not done whatever is in question.
A drum sander is easily used for shaping pads. It will take about 10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts