Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sold a Browning Citori that still has the original box and I need to ship it. Is the factory box, with the foam still inside, enough protection for the gun? If so, should I just make a box to fit over the original and call it good? My FFL always has the ones I buy unboxed before I see them. It will be going USPS ground with insurance.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
Over pack it...

If you search here you will see horror stories about guns damaged in shipping - and typically the shipping companies deny damage claims.

Double, even triple box it. PHOTOGRAPH each step of the packing process, and insure for full value of the gun.

Reactions: JACK

·
Registered
801 Posts
pack the mfg's box inside another box with packing peanuts around it. take pictures,and hope for the best. do not put anything on the outside that would show that a firearm is inside. insure it and if anything happens be prepaired for a fight.

·
Super Moderator
4,963 Posts
Put the factory box inside another box.

What they call a "guitar" box is probably what you'll need. You can get those at a "UPS Store" outlet. Then use something to take up the space to keep it from shifting inside.

Keep in mind that the UPS terminal that you ship from may want to look inside the box. You might do well to go talk to them before you tape everything up.

And they'll need a copy of the FFL that you are shipping it to.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have sent several Brownings in their original boxes placed inside another box. Wrap the shotgun parts so they will not move inside the original box. Use newspaper or bubble wrap to make sure the original box is secure inside your shipping box. The USPS does not require you to show a copy of an FFL to ship a long gun. You may be asked and you must state that it is going to an FFL holder, or the manfr. for repair. The USPS only requires a copy of an FFL to ship handguns. By law you cannot indicate on the outside of the carton that the contents contains a firearm. Make sure you also include the receiver's address and phone number inside the box. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
I shipped my mossberg 9200 back to the factory and packed it inside a blank cardboard box. I wrapped all the pieces in bubble wrap before I put them inside and then poured the peanuts around it tight. I cut 4 or 5 card board squares to stack up on each end so the barrel wouldn't cut thru if dropped on the end. The worst part of the whole deal came when I got the gun back. The factory did an awesome job on the repairs but just kinda thru it in a factory box then inside another blank box. When I got it I could shake it and the gun rattled around inside and I thought oh boy. Sure enough the stock was cracked where it met the receiver. I had taken pictures before and took some more and got ready for a fight with fedex. My wife talked me into just sending it back to mossberg with a nice note explaining the damage and asking them to fix it and then pack it correctly. I did that and when I got it back it was packed much better and undamaged. And with a new stock. Of course this is a much different situation than yours but just goes to show that you can't over pack it, as other have said.

John

·
Registered
331 Posts
Package everything so nothing moves, I double box, and use bubble wrap around the various barrels stocks, and any other thing inside.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the recommendations, it is going from Arkansas to California so it's quite a trip. I will go with the over packing idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In addition to extra protection packing, if you are willing to pay for overnight shipping, my experience has shown less package damage. Maybe coincidence but my UPS friends tell me it gets less handling on an overnight shipment.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bubble wrapped the gun, put it in the factory box, made a sleeve for the box out of heavy cardboard, then wrapped the sleeve in bubble wrap and put it in a heavy cardboard box. Not much else I can think to do. It is insured for the full amount so we will see how it goes.

·
Just getting by.....
988 Posts
In addition to extra protection packing, if you are willing to pay for overnight shipping, my experience has shown less package damage. Maybe coincidence but my UPS friends tell me it gets less handling on an overnight shipment.
The faster the delivery the less handling by all the shippers. That's why insurace is less on USPS Express Mail.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I wanted to ship my gun (USPS) overnight but when I ask for $10,000 in insurance I was told I couldn't ship it that way. It had to be signed for at every stop and packaged with paper tape on all seams.

There is no such thing as overpacking a gun. A little time and material is well worth the effort.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
If your shipping the gun with insurance!!! It will not be going ground service. Only priority or overnight. Go with the priority as the insurance is cheaper!!! May take a day or 2 longer, bfd. I would buy a 4 X 8 foot piece of cardboard and make a box 5 inches larger in all 3 directions and fill the void with peanuts. The USPS will not ask you what you are shipping. They will only ask if it is a hazmat item and if the item will spoil (like food). That's it.

PS --- They know what it is as soon as you insure it for over a grand. Break em all Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts