Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for someone who can give me the ID of a Pacific/Hornady 366 (1oz) shot bushing. Yes I know they can be had for $5, but I have a decent machine shop at home and was going go to make my own. I am not sure if Hornady makes a (7/8oz) bushing but if anyone has the ID of that one, that would great too. Anyway, the ID in thousandths of an inch would be great. I suppose I could rig up a volume test to figure it out pretty close, but I'm hoping for someone's generosity in getting the measurements first.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: This is what I have from internet info. 1 ounce #7 1/2 is 0.606", 1 oz #8 is 0.597", 7/8oz #6 is 0.570", 7/8oz #9 0.551". The actual measured ones I have are 3/4oz #9 is 0.532 and 3/4oz #8 1/2 is 0.523. Like you I have a lathe and may just make up some more. I would start on the small size and workup to the drop weight you want. Have fun in your shop. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello: This is what I have from internet info. 1 ounce #7 1/2 is 0.606", 1 oz #8 is 0.597", 7/8oz #6 is 0.570", 7/8oz #9 0.551". The actual measured ones I have are 3/4oz #9 is 0.532 and 3/4oz #8 1/2 is 0.523. Like you I have a lathe and may just make up some more. I would start on the small size and workup to the drop weight you want. Have fun in your shop. Thanks, Eric
Much appreciated.
It will get me close enough that I can then make light cuts to tune it in. I may just make one for all the shot sizes I use(7.5, 8, 8.5's) while I'm at it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: No problem I have the 1 1/8 oz and 1/2 oz sizes also if needed? You can chuck the bushings in the lathe and take 0.002" at a time to get what you need. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
grntitan, Hornady offered each shot weight bushing in different size pellets. Also, they were sized for Chilled (2%) shot. So anything you get from the Internet will not be exact. I did the following: I bought extra bushings, then reamed the ID out so it threw what I wanted.

I would use the measurements given above, then make two more bushings for that weight- one .005" smaller in ID and one .005" larger. That way you can fine tune the drop depending on what you actually get in the bag of shot.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone.

It will be an ongoing project but I plan on making a bushing for each shot size. For now, I am only making (1oz) shot bushings. I am also making a few powder bushings as well to fill in a few spots in my ever growing bushing rack. I am not gonna worry about the chilled or mag aspect. I started with 1" Alumimum round stock(which is the OD of the shot bushings) chucked up in a collet. I drilled out the stock center with a 1/2" drill bit and then used a parting tool to devide the stock into bushing lengths. Now I am gonna go back and use a small boring bar and turn the ID to my desired drops testing along the way. This will be an ongoing project as it will take some time changing out the shot to the various sizes and going back and forth to the shop to find the desired drops.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been working on making some shot and powder bushings. I noticed my shot bushing is an old Pacific 1-1/8oz shot bushing. It is not marked anywhere for shot size and measures .646" ID. I checked this measurement with (3) different(and different styles) precision measuring devices. All come out the same. It doesn't show any clear tooling marks indicating someone opened it up. I did just look up and Hornady sells a 1-1/8oz field bushing for #6 shot which is supposed to measure .648". I suppose this is what I have.

A couple pics:

image.jpg
image.jpg

The markings shown are the only markings.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know many many here have been watching this thread just waiting for me to post an update with pics of my work.(Ok, probably not)
Well after making a few odd ball powder bushings, I whipped out my first shot bushing this morning. It is a
1-1/8oz bushing measuring .638" ID. I'm planning on making one more
1-1/8oz bushing and then some 1oz and a 7/8oz.

My new shot bushing on the left made out of brass(with crooked stamping) next to a factory Alumimum bushing on the right.
image.jpg

My homemade miscellaneous powder bushings. I stamped them with their measurement on top. I hope it doesn't cause any issues.
image.jpg

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: The 1 1/8oz bushings are #7 1/2-0.641", #8-0.638", #8 1/2-0,635 and #9-0.632". I would undercut your powder bushings also and use an electric etching pen to write the numbers on. I would then use a black sharpie so you can actually read them. Good job on the bushings! Makes me want to go down and work on the lathe now. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello: The 1 1/8oz bushings are #7 1/2-0.641", #8-0.638", #8 1/2-0,635 and #9-0.632". I would undercut your powder bushings also and use an electric etching pen to write the numbers on. I would then use a black sharpie so you can actually read them. Good job on the bushings! Makes me want to go down and work on the lathe now. Thanks, Eric
I couldn't see the benefit of cutting the relief on the powder bushings other than a spot to mark them. Am I missing something? I decided to cut it on the shot bushing after realizing stamping the ID size on the head was probably not the best of ideas.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im thinking you might have a new business starting in the future...lol;)
No thanks. Machining stuff is my hobby. When it turns to work, then it ain't fun no more. Besides, I'm far from selling quality. I do however appreciate your confidence in me. I don't. LOL

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh come now....I'm sure after a few 1000 or so they would look picture perfect...lol Have you tried them yet? How are they working out?

Reap
Tested all the powder bushings as soon as they were bored. All dropped slightly different than the ID close to them. The shot bushings will require a bit more tinkering to get right. The truth is, this is totally against my beliefs of KISS(keep it simple stupid). I tore my rotator of my artificial shoulder(left) and needed something to keep me busy through the rehab. My lathe is not much of a strain with power feed. It gives me something to do and I will be able to use them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Im sorry to hear about the injury...but I know the feeling...I have a torn right rotator cuff. I have been debating having the surgery for a long time. I would lose shooting for almost a year if I did. I'm still amazed it doesn't act up when I shoot but forget about throwing any kind of ball lol. I wish you a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I think they undercut the middle section to mark the bushing but also to make sure it has some wiggle room to keep things square. The factory bushings don't seem to be bored straight and the OD is undersize of the 1" diameter. Fudge factor I call it. Take it easy on your shoulder, that is one of the reasons I bought a used Spolar with Hydro unit. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the well wishes. This shoulder has unfortunately been through hell this the artificial joint. I was really hoping when I got that done, it was the end of my worries. I learned a valuable lesson on this deal.

·
Premium Member
5,930 Posts
As for marking the bushings on the top, I note that older production Hornady bushings were made out of brass and were marked on the top. The only issue I can see is possibly the aluminum is softer than the brass and might wear off faster. But, my guess is, it will be something your heirs might be concerned about; I don't see it being as issue in your lifetime.

And on the shoulder, I went shooting with a friend of mine yesterday who had rotator cuff repair surgery in November. Yesterday was his first day on the range since. And I was out of action for a couple of months with a pinched nerve in my neck that almost paralyzed my right arm. But the physical therapy worked wonders and yesterday was my first day back on the range as well. All things considered, we both shot well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts