Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Many years ago I had a MEC hull heater for Federal paper hulls. The hulls already had enough wax which would melt a little so you don't add any more.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I don't think the binder in the hulls are wax as we know it, more like a rosen. I have rescued some very old dried out hulls by dipping the hull mouth in melted paraffin wax blended with surfboard wax which breathed new life into them allowing three or four reloads.

Hulls that are in good condidtion will reconstitue themselves when heated, appreaing to be sweating when completely heated reasorbing their coating

Surfer

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I need to reconstitute some paper hulls I've been using electric curling irons available for $2 -$5 from the local thrift store. They come in single or double barrel models with the 16 gauge and the 12 gauge using the same size. Bring an empty hull with you when looking to make sure it fits onto the barrel of the iron. Heat up the curler, slide the hull onto the barrel(s) and run a chunk of paraffin or candle wax against the heated barrel. The wax will migrate along the barrel to the mouth of the hull. Twist the hull on the barrel so the entire mouth gets waxed.

The heat is gentle and allows the hull to absorb the wax. Wipe off any excess wax from the outside of the hull.

See photo.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I picked one up unused in the box at an estate sale. I was curious if it extended the life of the hull by heating the wax.I usually toss them after the 3rd load because of the pin holes around the base. The instructions point out that it will resize a case that has been stepped on and this makes sense. Doggai's curling iron setup looks more like a "progressive" hull reconditioner!! Very good thinking on his part.It is vintage so I was hoping that an old veteren reloader on this site had actually used one in the past.I suppose I will just try it out and see for myself.
Regards PJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts