Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of Pacific DL-366 loaders and unlike the Hornady model my loaders don't have the locking indexing pin that goes into the primer seat. So my primer seat just rotates slightly from use and the primers don't always drop into the seat correctly causing the primer to fall in sideways.

Just wondering if anyone is using a Pacific loader and had the same problem?

Hornady must have corrected this by installing the indexing pin that holds the primer seat in the correct position.

Any ideas of how I can fix this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
My Pacific branded 366, purchased back in 1976, did have the small pin/slot arrangement. I did use a rat tail file to put a slight angel in the top of the primer seater (the steel piece that is screwed into the base casting) to better allow the primer to drop. That modification was later incorporated by Hornady on their branded 366.

For making the index pin mod, if you are very careful and have the right tools, you could probably cut a rounded slot (actually more like a half of a hole) in the base casting and then the harder part is doing the same on the steel primer seat. Obviously both halves would have to be cut where the holes would line up to allow a pin to be inserted. My question though is if you do not have the slight angle on the primer seater, why would the primer seat rotating cause a sideways primer drop. That primer drop problem is more often a case of either advancing the shell to quickly (raising the arm too fast) and /or the primer seater depth adjustment being incorrect. I guess it would be possible that a burr on the primer seater might rotate into a location where it can catch the primer as it slides by but I have never actually heard of that occurring. Usually it is the arm raise to quick that causes this type of problem.

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
There are maybe two issue here. One is the pin that keeps the primer cup from rotating. The second is the divot milled into one side of the primer cup. The pin is needed to keep the divot in the correct position. Does your primer cup have the divot? If not, I suggest maybe using a Dremel to mill one. Keeping the divot in the right place is the more difficult modification. I think the divot was, for a while, a user modification until Hornady incorporated it and added the pin.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I can't control a rotary tool like I can control a file.
Here's pics of the primer seater assembly in and out of the machine.
Note both the location of the pin and the primer notch.
HPIM1408.JPG HPIM1409.JPG

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. I do have the divot in the primer seat however mine must be older because I don't have the pin that keeps the seat from rotating in the holder.

·
Premium Member
11,862 Posts
Thanks to all. I do have the divot in the primer seat however mine must be older because I don't have the pin that keeps the seat from rotating in the holder.
You could possibly send it to Hornady to get it done? Though they might simply suggest replacing the entire lower housing. Dunno.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could possibly send it to Hornady to get it done? Though they might simply suggest replacing the entire lower housing. Dunno.
I did call Hornady and the guy I talked to never heard of the issue I brought up. He said you could replace the entire bottom casting however I'm sure the cost would be way too much. Just have to keep adjusting the primer seat to make sure it's in the correct position.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a Pacific 366 that I bought 2nd hand . The guy I bought it from bought it brand new. When I got it mine had the divots and the pin.. after a few years the pin disappeared ... I acquired a new pin but there was nothing to hold it in place.... used some JB Weld and it works very well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I purchased my Pacific 366 used and it does not have the locating pin. I would say that I have to tweak the position of the divot about every 100 rounds or so, to keep the primers dropping in smoothly. From the picture above, I have to wonder which side the divot is supposed to be on. I thought it should be on the side facing the primer drop tube so the primer drops into the divot as the shell plate is rotated. That picture appears to be the opposite to the way mine looks.

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
I purchased my Pacific 366 used and it does not have the locating pin. I would say that I have to tweak the position of the divot about every 100 rounds or so, to keep the primers dropping in smoothly. From the picture above, I have to wonder which side the divot is supposed to be on. I thought it should be on the side facing the primer drop tube so the primer drops into the divot as the shell plate is rotated. That picture appears to be the opposite to the way mine looks.
The divot should be pointing to the right. The pix have it correctly positioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts