Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,881 Posts
I'm 68 years old. I drank my first PBR when I was thirteen. By the time I quit drinking twenty some years ago, I'd spilled more of the stuff than most people will ever drink. A man that wouldn't drink Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer wouldn't fight for his country.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Yeah, Pabst Blue ribbon wasn't bad. After a hard day flying around the combat zone about the only stuff we refused to drink was Carling Black Label.

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
Carling was 3 for a nickel in most 'clubs' at times. It had a nice descriptive nickname back in those days, " Old Rusty Can". Stuff came over as deck cargo on surface ships and during the 20+ day transit the sea air got to it. Every can was rusted and the stuff tasted like ... puppy piss. Nobody that I know of would drink the stuff by first choice so it just sat in the store rooms until there was no more space for the beers that folks WOULD drink. PBR, OLY, Bud, Schlitz, etc. So the clubs would have a 'clearance sale' so they could get rid of the stuff. The Class VI shipments weren't on an order by order basis. The supply system ( war profiteer contracts were a part of it ) shipped a fixed mix of "Comfort Items" based on type of installation and numbers of military personnel, both Officer and Enlisted, plus civilian contractors authorized access to the Class VI sales.

Don T

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Johnny, the way I heard about Mabel and Black Label............

It was, Hey Mabel, get off of the table, that quarter is for beer! ;-)

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
15,883 Posts
Classless. Pabst deserves better than that.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Old Cowboy, Carlings closed their plant years ago in Mass. and it seems Molson
(I think) bought the name and makes it in Quebec, not widely distributed. Very decent beer that comes in regular strength and a high test. 15% if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Three things come to mind: I always thought the rusty cans we got over there were just old stock. We were crushing our aluminum cans in our hands back in the States. Carling sponsored the All Asian Skeet Championships in Seoul, Korea in 1967. I have the championship trophy around here someplace. Last of all, I took a tour of the Carling brewery near Flint, Michigan in 1959. The beer vats had birds nesting over them and there were dead rats floating on top of the brew. Memories, memories. Ron

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
Down at the bottom is a can of Carling. The Asian Sun Bears were our mascots at LS 20A ( Long Tieng Laos ) and there was a trap door in the 'bar' floor so that folks could "Buy the Bears a Beer" A Bear with a hangover is funny as hell if you're in a war zone but 45 years later it really isn't all that funny any more.

Don T
View attachment 174307

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
In 1972, the dealership I worked for was about to move into a new building. Each Tuesday night, the service department and parts dept. guys would meet out there for a clean-up party.

Owner supplied beer and Col. Sanders, and we washed down steel beams, walls, cleaned up behind contractors, and moved in, and painted, some equipment, etc.

One week, the car wash guy wanted in on the free beer and food, but he wasn't much help other than eating and drinking. When we ran out of beer, we told him it was his turn to buy.

He hesitated, but did go to the Liquor Sore.

He came back with a 6-pack of Black Label, and a jug of cheap wine.

Service Mgr. said we were about to leave anyway, so we didn't drink his beer, or wine.

Next week, he showed up with the same 6-pack, and when he opened one, you could smell it for a mile. Nice guy, but quite all there!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts