Trapshooters Forum banner

P-W 800 plus problem

1796 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  MAH66
After 30+ years of loading on MEC's I've switched to a slightly used PW 800+ SN 44xx.
My problem is that on several occassions I screw up with this result:

The handle is up'
Station 3 has a double powder charge,
Station 4 has two wads,
Station 5 is overflowing with shot.

Today I reloaded after months of being idle. This problem happened when I e\wasn't thinking about what I was doing - just adding empty hulls and then wads.

What am I missing here? I like the reloads this machine makes but the mess is time consuming to straighten out.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
703 Posts
PW's are very finicky. The click you hear is the rod going down on the back of the unit by what I call the index plate. IF you don't hear that click push the handle further back until you hear it. Other wise you end up with what you just described. Double charge, two wads, and a whole bunch of shot. Now you have to take the stations out and clean up your mess. Listen for the CLICK! Been there, done that. I learned the hard way, you will also. Once you get used to it, it runs a lot smoother. A true learning curve. Good luck, and don't feel alone.
(If you don't hear the click you are short stoking, and will be in trouble)
On a side note, I wish that someone would make a YouTube video on the PW 800+. Operation and trouble shooting. It would save calls to PW Customer Service. Just go slow and do it right, check the set screws, and lube!

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishjager and others thank you. Guilty as charged! and I did have three messes to clear yesterday.
The online PW manual doesn't provide a lot of info and the pictures are hard to read. Is there a place to get better info and diagrams? You mentioned set screws to be checked - are there ones that need extra attention?
As far as lubrication, I plan to use the STOS on anything that slides, rotates, rubs.
Compared to a MEC this machine really needs a stout bench which I have.
After I get more familiar with it I'll hook up the electric drive.
Thanks all.

· Registered
703 Posts
There are set screws on the front and back of the up right posts, as well as on the sides or the tool head that goes up and down. They tend to get a little loose. I put a drop of blue lock tite (not red) on them to tighten mine up. In general just look the machine over and snug up all the hex head screws. SNUG not over tighten. I also clean out the primer seating ram with a can of air to keep powder from getting under it. Start pulling the handle down and you will see the ram rise, just shoot it with air. IF powder gets under this it may cause the ram not to fully retract, which will cause the new primer to sit high. This will not allow the primer seating bar to catch on the primer, and CAN bend the seating bar. Then you might as well buy a new bar from Jim Whiz. Good luck. These are just a few of the things that I have found out over the past year.

· Registered
571 Posts
another note on the primer. as fishjager stated keep the primer post clean and the primer ram arm clean. also make sure you pull before you pull the handle make sure you have a primer seated on the ram before pulling the handle. if canted and you pull the handle then your in trouble. thats how the ram gets bent- dont ask me how i know lol.

· Registered
923 Posts
In reference to most of the set screws on a PW many have a allen lock screw backing up the actual set screw. Guide posts and the cylinder that has the shell holders that is secured to the main index gear come to mind. If the set screws in the cylinder (2 sets 180 degrees apart) loosen the timing of the machine can be affected and major problems will occur.

· Registered
43 Posts
Fishjager and others thank you. Guilty as charged! and I did have three messes to clear yesterday.
The online PW manual doesn't provide a lot of info and the pictures are hard to read. Is there a place to get better info and diagrams? You mentioned set screws to be checked - are there ones that need extra attention?
As far as lubrication, I plan to use the STOS on anything that slides, rotates, rubs.
Compared to a MEC this machine really needs a stout bench which I have.
After I get more familiar with it I'll hook up the electric drive.
Thanks all.
I would advise against hydro if it malfunctions you'll break many expensive parts the rep at grand had one malfunction in front of me and it exploded.

· Premium Member
8,030 Posts
another note on the primer. as fishjager stated keep the primer post clean and the primer ram arm clean. also make sure you pull before you pull the handle make sure you have a primer seated on the ram before pulling the handle. if canted and you pull the handle then your in trouble. thats how the ram gets bent- dont ask me how i know lol.
I learned the same way
Steve

· Registered
703 Posts
I was all set to make the video, and it dawned on me that I might say some things that PW might not like and would get me sued. So I have decided not to continue with this venture. I might make one that just out lines the functions of the press for basic instruction. But you have to be very careful in these waters.

· Registered
848 Posts
If you ever make that video, put me down for one. I have two PWs, one in 12GA and one in 20GA. I've had them both refurbished by PW and they are currently working fine. But, as you say, it's good to know how to fix them when things go wrong!
Unless you knock it off its bench, nothing should go wrong once it's properly adjusted until something wears out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.