Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been in a minor slump lately so I decided to check some basic stuff.
Patterned the gun with my usual IM choke at 35 yards.
I or the gun seem to be shooting around 3 inches to the left consistently.
Not sure just what is going on yet.
I think I might try a different choke first?
Anyone have any insight as to what might be going on here?
Right hand shooter.
I have not shot from a rest yet.
I DID have to use pliers on the extended choke a month ago.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
3" at 35y is insignificant. Are you having specific target difficulties?
Eyes been checked?
Weight gain or loss?

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you have not shot from a rest you haven't really done anything yet. Don't Start making changes until you are sure there is an issue.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
A right handed shooter will generally pattern a little to the left because of the way a gun recoils. That doesn't mean it will shoot to the left at a trap target. As was mentioned, 3" at 35 yards is insignificant.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm primarily a sporting clays shooter, was in a slump and when I finally patterned my gun noticed it was patterning 4 inches left at 30 yards. Hmmm. Adjusted the comb to the right, all back to good and slump resolved itself in about 2 shoots and a week of practice. (So I do not agree that 3" is irrelevant, at least for me as a sporting clays shooter, though could certainly be different for trap...) In my case I am a lefty and had *lost* 15 pounds and apparently lost more weight from my face than I realized. So my question to you as a right-handed shooter is have you possibly gained 10 or 15 pounds since you last patterned? If so, that may be a big part of the change. FWIW...

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did move the comb to the right a little with insignificant results.
I really like to have my pattern centered because I feel even a few inches off makes a difference especially at handicap yardage.
I will try moving the comb a little more and see how it patterns.
I'm still wondering what's causing the change because it always patterned correctly in the past.
Bill

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
As the linked article emphasizes, no gun should be a worry until it fails testing in several replications of POI testing. The shooter, not the gun, can be the problem on any particular day.

Also, take a lot of shots. When I suspect something, I am likely to shoot a box or two over several days before taking any steps to deal with what I may have found.

Neil

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Shooting from a rest might help you make a few determinations --- However I am not a proponent of shooting from a rest (but what do I know - never won any big shoots - but, I have been to the back and now on my way to the front, etc.)
Several years ago Greg Hissem suggested to me to get on post 3, set the machine to a straight away and make adjustments until the target broke center (smoke) - tighten it down and let it go.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I agree with CD. I shoot from a rest when I want to see where the gun/choke(s) shoots. Then I stand and shoot unsupported when I want to see where I shoot it. You have to know the gun shoots straight before you adjust it so you shoot it straight.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had a gun shoot to the left, ended up moving the butt to the right for a more natural POI.

The stock was dead straight and I require a right handed gun.

Tried moving the comb all that did was cant my head over the stock, moving the butt brought it more square to my head and body.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts