Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to get a combo trap gun for a while. I currently have a dedicated unsingle and have been struggling to shoot doubles with my other gun due to the difference in POI. I've looked at a bunch of different brands and I keep coming back to Perazzi. I don't have the money to buy a new one or even a used newer model. I have noticed that there are a bunch of older models that seem to be in my price range but I don't know one from the other. I don't mind the thought of having to get some upgrades or some refurbishing done on a gun to make it nice. I do a lot of my own gunsmithing and happen to live close to a very reputable shop for Perazzi work. Without a long background in Perazzi shotguns It's overwhelming trying to sort through the different models to try to find what I'm looking for so here's my wish list and help me understand what I should be looking for.
Trap combo, Unsingle 34/32 adjustable comb.
It would be nice to have tubes for the O/U and it would be nice to have an adjustable ribs but maybe not possibility in my price range. I'm ok with the unsingle having a fixed full as that's pretty much all I use with the gun I'm using now. Depending on what i have to do to get this gun up to snuff I want to be in the 5-7K range on price.
Your thoughts? I know there are a lot of P gun guys on this forum.

· Registered
13,517 Posts
For 8 grand you can buy a brand new CG combo from Pacific Sporting. You may also want to look at the 725 Browning combos, I think they can be had for about 5 grand? Both makes are much cheaper to keep and maintain down the road as well.

You also can change the POI of your current O/U Shotgun!!! Just have Add-a-rib install a new slanted rib on top of your existing rib on the O/U!!! It easy to change your current POI 20% or even 40% no problem. Then get longer posts (if needed) on your Adj. comb and line up new beads with the adj. comb. This method will cost you less than $400 for the rib work and combs new posts. Just some food for thought!!! Good Luck on your Journey!!! break em all jeff

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,688 Posts
Mx 15 and add mx2000 ou will get you want you want. If you want a dedicated mx 10 or 2000, will be closer to $9-10k, used. The others tend to be pieced together and sell for a little less.

· Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think I have a Perazzi fever and could easily change directions. But I have leaned away from CG due to having to return my gun for repairs. I'm looking at this option for a few reasons. Guns break and need to be repaired if you shoot them a lot. When I was a kid I grew up on a motocross bike. I always bought a Honda and it had nothing to do with the brand. at the time I was a bit of a Suzuki fan but the dealer for Suzuki was an hour from my home and I lived a mile down the road from the Honda dealer. I'm also not a fan of Brownings or their reputation for customer repair service. I have been looking at Z guns and Blasers. I'm not dead set on a P gun

· Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An mx 10 sounds great but they don't run in the price range I mentioned. I guess I need to figure out what models are available in an unsingle and go from there. It looks like adding barrels is very common so building a combo is also an option. The adjustable rib may not be a deal breaker. Gray's shotgun has been helpful on info to get me a little more focused on what I'm looking for.

· Registered
8,717 Posts
If you can do away with adj. rib, your market will be much wider and less expensive.

My suggesting is buy MX15 then add an O/U barrel without adj. rib.

Also, I'm saying this because of your budget. You can buy a really nice $4000 type III MX8 then add a $1750~2000 type IV GA1 or MX14 unsingle barrel and a $1000 type IV FE to go with it. Your total cost is under $7000 but everything will pretty much sell for the same price or more separately 10 years later. So you'll shoot a good gun 10+ years for free.

· Registered
2,708 Posts
The unsingle is the kicker. You could buy a TM1 AND a type 3 MX8 or even a type 4 MT6 for probably $5000-$5500.

If your patient, you'll get a MX15 for $4500 +.

Then a set of o/u barrels can be had for $2 or $3k depending on if you want fixed ribbed or adjustable.

I owned a MX10RS combo. For a bit. Paid $8500 for it which knowing now, I should have held on to it. I've never seen one that cheap since :unsure:

· Registered
868 Posts
There was an MX3 Special combo on Gunbroker for around $6,500. Don’t know if it’s still there. I recently assembled my own combo. Last year I bought an MS80 with selectable trigger. Earlier this year I bought off this board a topsingle barrel and had it fitted. I have about $6k invested. Combos can be put together but you have to be patient and when something comes up buy without hesitation

· Premium Member
6,293 Posts
The original mx2000 unsingles have all the features you requested.
They were not combo guns. The rib height is slightly less than the newer ( RS. Ray Stafford models)
The are around 4 to 6 k .
A set of mirage o/u barrels would match the rib height but are non adjustable however any newer MX8 or any rs barrels will fit the monoblock and have the adjustibility.
I think a good mx2000 would be a target eater and be patient and find a reasonably priced set of o/u
barrels to complete the combo.
Henry

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.