Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A retired shooter recently gave me four bags of PC (pattern control) purple wads. I'm not familiar with them, and can find no data. The bags say they are for One ounce loads. But no other details are stated. Input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
934 Posts
We should use our psychic powers to determine which hull, primer and powder you intend to use with the Purple PC wads?

Michael

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Many years ago I used those wads. I loaded them the same as the winchester 1 oz. wad. I was using Red Dot powder & Winchester primers at the time. Have to look but I believe the load books of the day had data for those wads. Colonel

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michael, Take your psychic powers and shove them. I'm asking for information from someone familiar with this wad, not for wise-ass cracks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have loaded thousands of this wad and have lots of old manuals with data for this wad.

Please add me to your "list"

Michael

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have some older Alliant manuals plus other powders manuals too. What hull was you going to use. I.E. there is a load for Winchester AA, Win. 209 primer, 18.0 grains Red Dot powder, Purple PC wad, 1 oz. shot, 1200 fps & 8900 psi. Kick it to 20.0 grs. powder you have 1300 fps &10,400 psi. That wad can be used for 7/8 oz loads with American select powder also. 18.5 grs of Green Dot works too for 1 oz. at 1200 fps & 7000 psi. Let me know what hull & I could give more data for those too. Hope this helps a bit. Those were good wads. Colonel

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
A retired shooter recently gave me four bags of PC (pattern control) purple wads. I'm not familiar with them, and can find no data. The bags say they are for One ounce loads. But no other details are stated. Input will be appreciated.
my alliant reloaders guide shows several 1oz loads for the purple PC wad. let me know what powder ,primer, and hull you intend to use and I will look it up for you.

jack mc

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Colonel Klink & Cactus: Thank you for your help. Like a lot of shooters I have a shop full of different powders, hulls and primers. My primary hull is an STS or Gun Club. The shooter that gave me the wads also gave me two hefty bags full of Winchester AAs. I suppose they would be my logical choice for use with the wads. (I haven't shot an AA in years) I've gone to Cheddite Primers and, here again, she sold me ten pounds of Unique powder for $65.00. I've been scrounging for powder for a few years and have an assortment available. So. If I could choose a recipe I'd go with the AAs, the Cheddites, the Unique if possible otherwise - - probably Green Dot, and the mystery PC wads. I shoot 1 oz. loads of 7.5 shot. I have found nothing suitable with these combined components. Any help you can provide will be appreciated. >> Michael: you got it.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Remington STS/gun club hull with your wad 20.5 grains of Green dot has 7000 psi. They show the Rem. 209p primer but i would sub with the win. 209. Similar primer & at 7000 psi, that is a low pressure load for 1200 fps. Max load is 22.5 grains at 1310 fps/8900 psi.I see no 1 oz. applications for Unique powder. Federal gold medal lists Fed. 209a primer, 20.5 grs green dot, purple pc, 1200 fps/7300 psi. max load is 22.5 grains at 1290 fps/8300 psi.
Fiocchi huls are 20.0 grs. green dot,n 1200 fps/7200 psi maxis 23.0 grains. n These are all 1 oz. loads. Colonel

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I sent a PM. I have several loading data sheets that these wads came with and I can send you one. These are very good 1oz. wads and I wish they were still made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts