Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to use Speer +P ammo (200gr .45)in a stock Colt Gold Cup? Speer says the ammo produces 23,000??. Thanks

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
The issue is the recoil spring. It's weight is set for lighter target loads. With the installation of a heavier spring, you'll be OK. Springs are made in 2 lb to 4 lb increments. For example, I changed the standard 20 lb spring in my 10mm Delta Gold Cup to a 24 lb spring for very heavy loads. I haven't played with the 45 ACP in a 1911 for a number of years, so I don't remember off the top of my head what the standard target, normal standard, and heavy load spring rates are. A good pistolsmith should be able to set you up.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I would use a #18.5-20 lb. recoil spring for the +P loads, I use a 14 lb. in my Gold Cup for 200 gr. WC. If you have a 23 lb. mainspring you can run less weight on the recoil spring vs a 19 lb. mainspring.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
EE, no problems at all. I did install a full length guide rod and a Shok-Buf setup, and regularly change out the Shok Buf pads. I've heard of frame battering, but with these mods my gun has not displayed any such problem. I can see where this could well be a problem on an unmodified 10mm. Even with the 24 lb spring my gun will cycle the "FBI Lite" loads (which are simply 40 S&W in a long case), but I never shoot them. Just heavy loads. Interestingly, my gun has far less felt recoil than a Glock 20, and comes back on target quicker.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Box Stock Gold Cups aren't usually set up for the hotter loads. A heavier recoil spring and recoil buffers are probably a good start. I'd consult a good 1911 pistolsmith for the details. I'd hate to ruin the gun and take the chance if it were mine. I'd save the hot stuff for a different gun that can handle them and use the Gold Cup for target loads.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Box Stock Gold Cups aren't usually set up for the hotter loads. A heavier recoil spring and recoil buffers are probably a good start. I'd consult a good 1911 pistolsmith for the details. I'd hate to ruin the gun and take the chance if it were mine. I'd save the hot stuff for a different gun that can handle them and use the Gold Cup for target loads.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
EE, not that I'm aware of. Frankly, the full size 1911 slide really needs more mass than it has for the 10mm (something the AMT Javalina and Springfield Armory Omega addressed). I'd think an Officers length, or even a Commanders length slide would not have enough mass and would really cause frame battering issues, and very short Shok-Buf buffer life. If Colt had made a long slide version I would have gone with that model.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
EE, not that I'm aware of. Frankly, the full size 1911 slide really needs more mass than it has for the 10mm (something the AMT Javalina and Springfield Armory Omega addressed). I'd think an Officers length, or even a Commanders length slide would not have enough mass and would really cause frame battering issues, and very short Shok-Buf buffer life. If Colt had made a long slide version I would have gone with that model.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Brownell sells a set of Wolf springs that go to 24lb [I think] I got the full length mercury filled rod. I didnt need the 24lb for any 45 load. It did take it for the 400corbond. I dont use buffers but put wax in back to see if it was hitting. I did on a few 400s. I found a sig 220 and a little work and It will shoot with the colt. I dont use the colt only for light 200gr loads.I got that {drop in 400c barrel} that was a joke about 6hrs later it dropped in. rick

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Brownell sells a set of Wolf springs that go to 24lb [I think] I got the full length mercury filled rod. I didnt need the 24lb for any 45 load. It did take it for the 400corbond. I dont use buffers but put wax in back to see if it was hitting. I did on a few 400s. I found a sig 220 and a little work and It will shoot with the colt. I dont use the colt only for light 200gr loads.I got that {drop in 400c barrel} that was a joke about 6hrs later it dropped in. rick

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you feal the most comfortable with that pistol as a protection weapon, and the pistol will handle it with out harm to the shooter. Use them just load them while in the protection mode. Inside your home[short distance] point of impact will be the same, and if I hurt the slide or spring I would consider that cheap for saving my life. Just practice with loads the pistols designed for.Hopefully none of us will ever need to fire a protection round.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you feal the most comfortable with that pistol as a protection weapon, and the pistol will handle it with out harm to the shooter. Use them just load them while in the protection mode. Inside your home[short distance] point of impact will be the same, and if I hurt the slide or spring I would consider that cheap for saving my life. Just practice with loads the pistols designed for.Hopefully none of us will ever need to fire a protection round.

·
Registered
231 Posts
put in a 19LB spring and then cut coils until it functions reliably. if you start with a wolf progressive spring-you probably won't have to cut coils-rick

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Early Gold Cups had a slide that had more milling to reduce the weight of the slide. If yours has the light slide, it is not suitable for hardball or +P loads. If yours is the same configuration as the Government model slide (except with a flat top and match sights), then you can use hardball and +P if you change out the recoil spring for a heavier one. As noted, the sights are fragile. The rear sight is held in by a roll pin. Changing this to a solid pin increases its reliability. The front sight is peened end, and since it has extra mass due to its size, it will eventually depart the slide. The replacement should be silver brazed in place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.