Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a bag of number 9 shot at a price that I couldn't pass up that was probably 20 or 30 years old. It was very dull looking and oxidated. I was wondering how it would shoot, so I loaded up 4 boxes of it and plan on shooting it in a couple of days at 16 yards and first shot of doubles. Anybody have any experience shooting old oxidated shot? Stay tuned.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Roll the bag around and massage it. The put on a mask, go outside and blow off all the resultant dust. It will load better and more consistently, because the shot will be less prone to bridging when loading. In all likelihood, it will fly a little faster because it is more aerodynamic. If so, it will break birds a little better because the retained energy will be a tad higher.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Oxidized shot will shoot fine after you clean in, I'd run it in a rotary tumbler with a pinch of graphite.

Just watch that dust coming off it.

DGH

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Wear a good respirator when handling, especially after tumbling. You make the oxidation so fine that it is easily inhaled deep into the lungs. Finely divided lead is hazardous.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
REALLY ! LOL....... Massage it. Roll it. More aerodynamic. Shoot Faster, harder, and jump tall buildings.
I'm sorry did you say (1) one bag ? You already loaded 4 boxes ?????????????? Have fun shooting it. You won't hit anything now that everyone jinked it...
Don't worry though the unbroken targets will die of lead poisoning. lol

Now stay tuned for the reply's.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just load it and shoot it. I run an air filter next to me while I reload. Just dont grind it up and snort the shit and you will be fine.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wear a good respirator when handling, especially after tumbling. You make the oxidation so fine that it is easily inhaled deep into the lungs. Finely divided lead is hazardous.
Are you telling me that lead is Hazardous to my health?!? I've been working with lead for 20 years and never one wore a respirator and I have no ill effects:crazy::Eyecrazy::scared1::tapedshut::yikes:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought 3 bags of old shot recently and made it look like new with a can of spray on graphite from Home Depo and a spare brass tumbler I had laying around. Did it outside, about 25 minutes on half a bag at a time, came out almost like new and very little dust when adding to reloader.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shot the two boxes today at 16 yards and first shot at doubles. It broke the 16 yard targets without any problems if I didn't ride the target. I really like it better for first shot of doubles. I'm going to load more for doubles and some for skeet. I loaded several boxes of .410 with it on a mec single stage and had some bridging problems due to the small drop tube but no big deal. All good!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I think you will be ok as long as you don't use gun powder as snuff and fart at the same time...........BANG ! oh excuse me .......

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Reaper, yes finely divided lead is very hazardous to your health, lead accumulates in the body and the body has no mechanism to quickly remove it. All I am saying is don't breathe very fine lead dust. Fortunately, as you may know (kidding) lead is heavy. Unless the particles are very small, they just drop out of the air, but if there is a lot of dust, a respirator or staying upwind is a good idea. I too have worked with lead for 40 plus years and my blood level is normal.
Most important, after handling lead, and before eating, smoking, drinking, wash your hands !!!! I have taught the lead safety class for many years, just trying to help.

Regards,
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts