Trapshooters Forum banner

Over Shot Sealer

2406 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Cold Iron
I little trick I came up with years ago is to use “caulking backer rod” to fill some of the head space over the shot. Sometimes, the wad choice, hull, crimp or reloader not always cooperative and one ends up with a hole in the crimp. I use 5/8” (~16mm) diameter backer rod and cut it to about 0.20” (5mm) thickness. They fit perfectly in a 12-gauge hull and weigh practically nothing, about 3/10 of a grain. I use a long utility knife blade and they cut quickly and easily. After the shot drops, I just insert the cut piece over the shot at the crimp starter station. The foam is easily compressible and doesn’t affect the crimp, just acts perfectly as a shot sealer. They are so light weight; I’ve tested the shot pattern and as expected, the pattern is unaffected. When the shell is shot, sometimes you see the foam flutter back to earth a few yards out, no different than the other confetti on some shells. I have done quite a few over the years without issue and have been incredibly pleased. Use it as you wish but I have found it helpful when needed and not burdensome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
When I had a bunch of wads I wanted to burn up that didn't take up enough room I dropped a cheerio on top. Worked great.
This works real well . Easy solution for using wads that are not quite perfect . Love it. I was told that if I use the chocolate Cheerios that you could smell the chocolate on the line after firing the gun . Wonder if that is true . ha ha .

· Registered
547 Posts
I little trick I came up with years ago is to use “caulking backer rod” to fill some of the head space over the shot. Sometimes, the wad choice, hull, crimp or reloader not always cooperative and one ends up with a hole in the crimp. I use 5/8” (~16mm) diameter backer rod and cut it to about 0.20” (5mm) thickness. They fit perfectly in a 12-gauge hull and weigh practically nothing, about 3/10 of a grain. I use a long utility knife blade and they cut quickly and easily. After the shot drops, I just insert the cut piece over the shot at the crimp starter station. The foam is easily compressible and doesn’t affect the crimp, just acts perfectly as a shot sealer. They are so light weight; I’ve tested the shot pattern and as expected, the pattern is unaffected. When the shell is shot, sometimes you see the foam flutter back to earth a few yards out, no different than the other confetti on some shells. I have done quite a few over the years without issue and have been incredibly pleased. Use it as you wish but I have found it helpful when needed and not burdensome.

View attachment 1744140

View attachment 1744138

View attachment 1744139
Brilliant. Back in the day would use a cheerio and candle wax on 12 ga. 3/4 oz. loads before there were wads below 1 oz. for the 12.

But for heavier than lead such as FHW15 in the 16 ga. it is a struggle even today. Some duplex with steel shot to help fill volume even using 1/8, 1/4 etc. felt\fiber spacers under shot wads. Usually stacked and with an overshot card to top it off.

And of course BPI wants to sell you stuff you don't need including overshot cards. Been on Atkins on and off for years last cereal box I have had in the house pretty sure the field mouse took it over, long time ago. Over 20 years made my share of bolt holes in Garlock gaskets on pump and turbine flanges in ships engine rooms with hole punches but would just as soon buy overshot cards from Precision over BPI.

In this case am thinking be worth it to break out my hole punch set (doesn't everyone own one?!) though to make overshot "cards" with this. Actually used the same type backer cut to length and stuffed in the bed holes of the Polaris Ranger to keep exhaust fumes to keep from coming up into the dog box sitting on the top of the bed.

Felt undershot spacers actually reduce pressure. Which is not always good when trying to make a balance between velocity and payload to get to stack height. Once Precision opens up ballistic testing again think I am going to send in a batch (2 actually not that much more) trying this.

Thank you! Great job thinking outside the "box" :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.