Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw most shooters using the under tube , but someone uses the over one ! What is the real difference ?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
In addition to what Donnie W said, some fixed choke guns are Full on top and modified or improved modified under, so you shoot the barrel with the ckoke you like. Modified is great at 16 yards.

·
Vendor
1,664 Posts
Shoot the one that you shoot the best. Period!
I shoot my top because I hit more singles targets with it.
I always have students test both and shoot the one that works the best for them.
Many O/U's don't shoot to the same POI with both barrels

·
Registered
19,284 Posts
What Donnie said
Not so much. Not until you get in the realm of hunting/flyer specs. Trap loads are tame enough that only Simmie the Spazz could benefit from the slight difference. For Joe Average it is all in his head.

What Phil said.

Reactions: Andre Brazil

·
Registered
271 Posts
Shoot the one that you shoot the best. Period!
I shoot my top because I hit more singles targets with it.
I always have students test both and shoot the one that works the best for them.
Many O/U's don't shoot to the same POI with both barrels
My barrels have same POI, but for some reason I break more targets and more smoke with top barrel. Maybe it is in my head, but I shoot top barrel for all trap games.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
For a long time I had a mental block about over/unders. I have had a dozen over the past 45 years. 101s, Daly, Cynergy, Citori, plus others. Could run straights with top, not so much with bottom. Yes, I patterned them and the patterns overlapped well. In the head. Finally had a long talk with myself, much the same as when I had my major slump twelve years ago, and am cured again. I shoot my IM bottom from sixteen to about twenty-three and the full from there on back. Sometimes I have to realize how ridiculous we can make things by over thinking. I shot seven different guns in our post summer league combo league and finished with a slightly better average....relax, point and shoot and quit analyzing. Fifty years of this and I don't want to learn new ways to screw up.
73 and still in the club's top five.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Redfin, as much as it look like is must, there is no difference in response to canting from any barrel configuration - single, unsingle, high-rib, low-rib, over bbl, under bbl. The all react to canting the same.

The effect of cant is dependent on two, and only two, things.

1. The POI of the barrel and

2. The angle of cant.

A barrel that shoots 5 inches high at such-and-such a distance and is canted left 10 degrees will move its POI to the left by (5 inches) times (the sine of 10 degrees) or 5 x 0.17 or a bit less than an inch. Its POI will also drop an inconsequential amount.

Neil

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For a long time I had a mental block about over/unders. I have had a dozen over the past 45 years. 101s, Daly, Cynergy, Citori, plus others. Could run straights with top, not so much with bottom. Yes, I patterned them and the patterns overlapped well. In the head. Finally had a long talk with myself, much the same as when I had my major slump twelve years ago, and am cured again. I shoot my IM bottom from sixteen to about twenty-three and the full from there on back. Sometimes I have to realize how ridiculous we can make things by over thinking. I shot seven different guns in our post summer league combo league and finished with a slightly better average....relax, point and shoot and quit analyzing. Fifty years of this and I don't want to learn new ways to screw up.
73 and still in the club's top five.
Congrats !!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Probably slightly less stress and therefor wear on most O/Us from shooting the bottom barrel. Not applicable to guns locking at the top of the action like a Rem 32/Kreighoff.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I shoot the top barrel on singles and handicap with my O/U because it provides me the most success. I am one of those shooters who did not do well shooting unsingles or any single barrel with extremely high ribs. Wish I had a factual reason to offer but results keep me shooting the top barrel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts