Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to wear dual protection (plugs and muffs) when shooting due to significant hearing loss from the farm. I've used a lot of different muffs, and spent the big bucks a few years ago on ProEars. They broke after a year.

The good news is I found a new set of muffs that are outstanding, and inexpensive. They have just one knob to turn the sound volume up or down, they also have a plug for my MP3 player, and are very comfortable. All for $40. Between stations I turn them up and can hear even the softest spoken scorer.

FYI

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Howard Leight Impact Sport OD Electric Earmuff, Green

·
Registered
97 Posts
I 2nd your opinion as I own the same pair and deal with the same issues. I could not be happier. I'm a Jr's coach and these make it very easy to hear their questions.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Great for when instructing shooters, score keeping trap or pulling for skeet. Unfortunately for me they contact the stock and transmit more noise than ear plugs.

·
Vendor
19,786 Posts
Yeah... My stock "clicks" on my ProEars. They come with a felt strip that "muffles" the noise. My ProEars have battery issues (falling out). So, I use the old "Sonics: with the metal baffle. They have a wind issue that is disconcerting.But I use them. The baffle works good enough for my hearing (WHAT?).

All that said. I get my Howard Leight Impact Sport OD Electric Earmuff, Green. some time next week. So, we'll see. I do know they will be good in the winter.

If your stock clicks on the muff, put a strip of moleskin on the point of contact.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a FYI, I use the Howard Leight MAX earplug with these muffs. They are a powerful combination. The great thing about the muffs mentioned above is they do not hit my stock when shooting, but then I have a head the size of a VW bus, so your results may vary.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Help me out. I read all the information on the muffs but I can't find out.

Do they kill all sound after 82 db? Or do they limit all sound to 82db?

I have Pro Ears and they limit all sound to 82 db and I can still talk and listen on the range with gunfire in the background.

I have some Caldwell and they kill all sound above 82db and you can't talk to anyone when there is background noise above 82db because they shut all sound off.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I've done a lot of work over the years with folks that specialize in hearing protection solutions for industry (not the companies mentioned above by the way). Google hazardous noise level scales, and you will see that a shotgun blast is louder than most anything a worker faces. If this game was an "industry" dual protection would be required, plugs alone are not enough to protect you from hearing loss from the impact noise of a shotgun. The muffs with microphones are a lot safer (IMHO), because you can hear other people and the scorer when wearing dual protection.

·
Vendor
19,786 Posts
Mine came. They willnot work fo rme. My ears are too low. $35 shipped to the first one that says they want them. the sound quality is great. (or lack there-of)

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
Mine came. They willnot work fo rme. My ears are too low. $35 shipped to the first one that says they want them. the sound quality is great. (or lack there-of)
Jack, I can't believe they won't adjust large enough for you. They are huge on me all the way out, and I have a head like a watermelon.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jack, the way they come out of the box did not fit me either. But they extend at least an inch by pulling on the muff, away from the headband. This is where I would normally make a Swede from Wisconsin joke, but I am half Swede and like Wisconsin...

·
Vendor
19,786 Posts
Multifired (Tom). I'll leave them with Mark no later than Tuesday. But I'll have them with me today at Forest Lake as well

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
I have both the ProEars and Howard Leight hearing protectors. I like them both. The ProEars have better sound quality. The HL will amplify more. The HL are more comfortable for shotgun shooting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts