Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first one in 1973 from a gun dealer that worked out of his garage in Bakersfield. Jim Jennings . Was a great guy. I still use it and it is in great shape. I ordered a new one and it arrived today. I use it in the field and after tournaments. It isn't my final clean but it does a good job. Anyone else use one ever had one?
Steve
Steve
Office supplies Font Slope Writing implement Stationery

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't really see the point in these things, if you're going to clean it, clean it.
When your out hunting with your buddies this fits in the old style case. We would be out four or five days shooting dove, quail, rabbits ECT. When I thoroughly clean my shotgun I do it in my reloading room. When I get back. You can also use it to knockout a wad.
I done clean my gun at the range or during tournaments I do it that same day. You just use a couple minutes.
Steve

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I don't really see the point in these things, if you're going to clean it, clean it.
It works just fine for my needs. I use my shotgun every week. There is no need to completely clean my barrel, unless I am going to store it long term.
Just a few passes down each barrel. Then a short spray of Rem-Oil on a 3X3 patch and wipe down the barrels and receiver. I'm good until the next time I shoot. Only takes a few minutes and done. I never have any plastic build up, so I don't see the point of cleaning the barrels any better. The heavy powder residue is removed, so there is nothing for anymoisture to form inside my barrels. We have 90% humidity here most all year long. Not to mention over 5 feet of rain per year. I have never had a problem with rust.
I do run patch's sprayed down with Rem-Oil down my barrels when I store them long term.
I used to run like several Rem-Oil soaked patches down each barrel for years. I could go through a 1000 patch's a year or more Now I go through like one patch a week. One $15 dollar Tico-Tool lasts me for 6 years maybe more. I Clean my Tico-Tools 2-3 times a year. Instead of buying expensive patch's from Pro-Shot every year for 33 bucks (per 1000), Plus shipping!!! I found out I was wasting my time, Rem-Oil, and Patch's (money) doing this. To each their own I guess? Do what makes you happy, and you can't blame anyone but yourself. break em all jeff

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one and use it every time I shoot before breaking down my gun and putting it in the car. I affectionately call it the “elephant tampon”.
That is funny. I do wash the ???? but it is still stained
Lol
Steve

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Same as the Tico tool. does a fair job of cleaning the barrel and the neat thing in the handle is an oiled swab on the last pass you hook it to the end of the cleaning rod and pull it back thru the barrel oiling the barrel. Tico's can be washed with Dawn dishwashing soap and warm water over and over.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo
8,278 Posts
Jam the muzzle of your duck gun into the mud and you'll understand perfectly.
The only thing I've ever hunted had boobs so I think we're good.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I’ve had the same Tico tool since 1984. It works best without the handle. Push it from breach out the muzzle. It works way better than a bore snake.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts