1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon to be gone - This is special

Capt. Steven Ellison, MD
A Military Doctor
This should be required reading in every school and college in our country. This Captain, an Army doctor, deserves a medal himself for putting this together. If you choose not to pass it on, fine, but I think you will want to, after you read it
1.jpg

Situation permitting, I now try to ask my patients about their experiences. They would never bring up the subject without my inquiry. I have been privileged to hear an amazing array of experiences, recounted in the brief minutes allowed in an Emergency Dept. Encounter. These experiences have revealed the incredible individuals I have had the honor of serving in a medical capacity, many on their last admission to the hospital.

2.jpg

There was a frail, elderly woman who reassured my young enlisted medic, trying to start an IV line in her arm. She remained calm and poised, despite her illness and the multiple needle-sticks into her fragile veins. She was what we call a 'hard stick.' As the medic made another attempt, I noticed a number tattooed across her forearm. I touched it with one finger and looked into her eyes. She simply said, ' Auschwitz .' Many of later generations would have loudly and openly berated the young medic in his many attempts. How different was the response from this person who'd seen unspeakable suffering.

3.jpg

Also, there was this long retired Colonel, who as a young officer had parachuted from his burning plane over a Pacific Island held by the Japanese. Now an octogenarian, he had a minor cut on his head from a fall at his home where he lived alone. His CT scan and suturing had been delayed until after midnight by the usual parade of high priority ambulance patients. Still spry for his age, he asked to use the phone to call a taxi, to take him home, then he realized his ambulance had brought him without his wallet. He asked if he could use the phone to make a long distance call to his daughter who lived 7 miles away. With great pride we told him that he could not, as he'd done enough for his country and the least we could do was get him a taxi home, even if we had to pay for it ourselves. My only regret was that my shift wouldn't end for several hours, and I couldn't drive him myself.

4.jpg

I was there the night M/Sgt Roy Benavidez came through the Emergency Dept. For the last time. He was very sick. I was not the doctor taking care of him, but I walked to his bedside and took his hand. I said nothing. He was so sick, he didn't know I was there. I'd read his Congressional Medal of Honor citation and wanted to shake his hand. He died a few days later.

5.jpg

The gentleman who served with Merrill's Marauders,

6.jpg

The survivor of the Bataan Death March,

8.jpg

The survivor of Omaha Beach ,

9.jpg

The 101 year old World War I veteran.

10.jpg

The former POW held in frozen North Korea

I may still groan when yet another ambulance comes in, but now I am much more aware of what an honor it is to serve these particular men and women.
I have seen a Congress who would turn their back on these individuals who've sacrificed so much to protect our liberty. I see later generations that seem to be totally engrossed in abusing these same liberties, won with such sacrifice.
It has become my personal endeavor to make the nurses and young enlisted medics aware of these amazing individuals when I encounter them in our Emergency Dept. Their response to these particular citizens has made me think that perhaps all is not lost in the next generation.
My experiences have solidified my belief that we are losing an incredible generation, and this nation knows not what it is losing. Our uncaring government and ungrateful civilian populace should all take note. We should all remember that we must 'Earn this.'

Written By CAPT. Steven R. Ellison, M.D. US Army

If it weren't for the United States Military, there'd be 'NO' United States of America !
Steven Ellison, MD
A MILITARY DOCTOR

And now as you have finished reading this, our Congress that enjoys their free medical care are in the process of charging these people for their medical care and at the same time possibly reducing their retirement pay. A typical political "Thank you."This should be required reading in every school and college in our country. This Captain, an Army doctor, deserves a medal himself for putting this together. If you choose not to pass it on, fine, but I think you will want to.

In God We Trust

·
Premium Member
8,006 Posts
The danger of growing up in an undefeated, Pax Romana, No appreciation for the sacrifice of others that built the Empire. One begins to think that they are unbeatable and are better than the rest, deserve this position, with expectations that it will always be so. Fatal error of all empires past.
Aloha

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
kids of today only see our wars as video games or movies..
I had real stories told to me by my Grand Father about WW1. my God Father told me stories about WW2. my Brother in-law has told me real stories about Vietnam.
most kids of today don't want to hear about stories from the Gulf war, Iraq or any were else for that matter..

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
When I was in high school all I wanted to read about was WWII stories.
Their heroics and sacrifice's made by the "Greatest Generation" will never be forgotten by me.
I grew up in the 50's when America was the best nation in the world.
Sadly that is no longer true.

·
Registered
18,660 Posts
Copyright April 2000.
These recycled "Forward to ALL your friends" emails just ........

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
When I was in high school all I wanted to read about was WWII stoires.
There heroics and sacrifice's made by the "Greatest Generation" will never be forgotten by me.
I grew up in the 50's when America was the best nation in the world.
Sadly that is no longer true.[/QUOTE

I grew up in the sixties, I have had the opportunity to hunt with several of the WWII vets. Great men and women! I have read as much of the stories from WWII as I can find, in second grade I went from the slowest reader in class to many grade levels above grade because of the books on WWII. Their histories are epic tails!

I pray we never lose sight of greatness, heroics, suffering and terror the men and women lived through, that served and won the war!

Reactions: Firewater

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Who remembers someone that fought in our Civil War? No one.... Time goes on, and once everyone that knew that Vet is gone as well....who's to remember them? The world is coated with the remains of warriors since the beginning of time, now long forgotten. That is the fate of everyone......Unless of course, you're a Spiritualist like me, or any Buddhists/Hindu/Taoist, etc. that believes ones essence/soul lives forever. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
My Dad will be 90 in Jan. 2017. Served in the Phillipines and the occupation forces in Seoul, Korea 1945-1947. He is my hero. He was not an Audie Murphy or John Wayne, but he saw alot and did alot. Army, 69th. Engineer Corps. Thanks Dad.

·
Premium Member
8,006 Posts
I define a hero is as someone that gave selflessly of themselves to help others, without thought of risk or benefit to themselves. Millions of heros never get bestowed with the Medal of Honor, only those that someone happen to see. It does not mean they were not heros, just unsung ones. But rest assured, our Lord God knows each and every one and their place of honor in his unending kingdom is assured, as sacrifice is the embodiment of his love and mercy and true to his teachings, as ultimately exemplified by his Sons sacrifice on the cross.
Aloha One

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I had the privilege of serving with American submariners who made war patrols in WWll, their stories and exploits were those of heroes- Al Dempster who was on the USS Crevalle-, told me about the time they surfaced with a Jap depth charge in their bridge--put an inflatable raft under it-let it float off they sunk the raft with small arms-- the depth charge went off later- he said they weren't deep enough to arm it

A retired Army Major Frank Towers who just died this July @ the age of 99 & has helped me with my WWll project. He was very humble man-not until a few weeks ago I learned as a member of "Old Hickory" ANG unit that held off a German Army of 12000, while they were only 150 men @ the Battle of Mortain, in France a few weeks after D-Day. His middle name was Winchester.

With out these men I would not be writing these words- This is why I built the "The Todah Menorah" -if anyone cares -look it up on youtube.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I salute anyone who fought in wars before me, These brave people gave me my freedom, I cherish it,

I have traveled to 3rd world country's,
I'd really like for these people who hate America for this reason or that reason to take a trip sometime,
Then come home and realize we in fact live in the best country on the planet, And if they are still not sure, Don't unpack just leave.

Thank you to all, God Bless America :smilie_flagge13::smilie_flagge13::smilie_flagge13::smilie_flagge13::smilie_flagge13:
DGH

·
Registered
346 Posts
My Father and Mother were WW II vets. George L. Wild U.S. Army served in the CBI theater and was awaiting transport to the S. Pacific as replacement combat troop when the Atomic Bombs were dropped. Mary Elizabeth Vaught Wild was a WAVE serving at Pensacola Fla. as a navigation instructor and Link trainer operator. Both are gone but not forgotten. May they rest in Peace.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Phil I took your suggestion and went to you tube and watched your videos Todah Menorah. Just like to say congratulation on your work and very nicely done.

During WW2 my dad was a Hump pilot flying C47s. Passed on a while back. He gave me all of his pictures and books in regards to his service. The pilot that flew next to him is still alive and every other year he and his wife stay with my mom for a few days. He likes to come visit with me to see my gun collection and handle my WW2 1928 Thompson.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Last night, I noticed in the obituary, another WWII vet had passed away. One of his footnotes was that his bombing crew had done something like 37 missions over Germany held territory. Not a lot of bombers were able to complete that many missions. Most were shot down before they did.

That had to take it's toll on you. Knowing you would be going on a mission and you just might never come home............or come home alive.

Brave men, one and all...............and I salute them!

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My Dad told me that all the mechanics would all be out with binoculars waiting for the planes to return, they'd count the planes, non returning planes always put a big knot in everyone's stomach... He was always amazed how much abuse the B-17 could take and still return, belly gunner's were the most exposed , without fighters they were flying ducks. He said the spent brass would be a foot deep in the plane if they used the machine guns during flight, every one of those casing had to be cleaned out before reflight, My dad was an engine mechanic and sheet metal maker, taught me everything I know, RIP dad... anyone need a pristine B-17 Boeing service manual, its top secret via 1939, found it in a box with his WW2 stuff, short belt of .50 cal, defused grenade, center punch made from a .50 cal bullet, his 1911, and every letter he sent my Mom while overseas, lots of good memories

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
My Father and two of his Brothers served in Europe in WWII. My Uncle died on the beaches of Leyte Island, Philippines and is buried there. Yes they were the Greatest Generation. However, let's not overlook those heroes who served in Korea, Viet Nam, Panama, Grenada, Iraq and Afghanistan. Anyone and Everyone who has served in the Armed Forces and are willing to fight, sacrifice and possibly die for the principals of this country are Heroes in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My Dad was on the Battleship California when the Japs hit Pearl Harbor and my Brothers served in the Navy and Army, one in Vietnam. I just lost a good friend that was a tail gunner in a dauntless dive bomber. I will never forget all the stories they told me of the war and the horrible things that they had to live with.A lot of Today's up and comer's don't seem to have a care in the world and an extreme lack of respect for the older generation. Maybe when the next WW3 starts they will wake up. My in laws were children in Holland during the German occupation and told me about all the bombs being dropped and having to live on tulip bulb soup because the Germans took everything else that was there to eat. God Bless America

1 - 19 of 19 Posts