Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stopped in at the Wausau Wi. GM store on the 24th. Almost had an accident when I saw a small pallet of 71/2 and 8 magnum shot with it was a large sign proudly proclaiming the price--------$59.95 a bag!!! can anyone top that? TG

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
As always, the best deals can be had by belonging to clubs that let members piggy back on club orders. Also, buy at shoots and/or if you happen to live close to a distributer, another source.

When you do run into a price that you can live with, purchase enough for 12 months, even if you think the price will be coming down.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Denver area is 59.99 a bag for shot in the stores. It's funny how flats of RIO, Gun Clubs, and Top Gun can be bought for 60.00 a flat with 250 shells inside loaded with shot, powder, wad, and a primer in a new hull for the same price. You only can load 355 shells with 1 1/8 oz. of shot per bag and have to supply all the other components to do it. Makes little sense to reload right now with shot so high priced.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Gander in Germantown WI had Rio shells at $50 per flat for 1 1/8 trap loads in 7 1/2 or 8s and had a pallet of each. Recobs has magnum shot at $42. Will see about powder tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
I never understood why the big box retailers couldn't blow the regional distributors out of the water price wise.

They obviously have greater buying power, and can buy in a larger quantity (at presumably a lower price) than just about any reloading supply dealer could.

The only answer I can come up with is they are trying to make the same % markup that they do on their chinese made t-shirts.

My local gander has lawrence magnum sitting on the shelf @ $60/bag. The pile gets a little bigger every week (they must have a standing weekly order for x number of bags). We can get Eagle from the local supplier for around $40, or Lawrence/West Coast from a local shooter/gunsmith for a couple bucks a bag more. They also want $15/bag for Claybuster wads, 2x what the local supplier sells them for.

If I were Gander Mtn, I'd rather sell 10 bags of wads or shot and make a couple bucks each on them, then try and make 100% profit, and sell none.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I was in the local Gander Mountain today and saw $59.95 a bag shot. I believe I'll be a bit dusty before it sells....

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
Shyda was $38 for Eagle 10+ bags, cash + tax & I think CAC is ~ the same for West Coast, same deal... no cards.

best.... mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's what it's going to take to get the prices down , more people saying enough and stop buying even if it's only one month . I think it would bring down prices but you will not get everyone to comply and agree . People now adays have the gotta have it now and more then anyone else. I have refused to buy from places that jacked the prices just to keep big profits . I watch a lot of our stores on the web most are greedy and want top dollar plus. I have noticed that sportsmans guide, has tryed to keep most of there shell prices and other ammo at the best prices . As long as people are willing to pay the more it will go up. I could have made money on my supplies I have in stock some of my bags of shot I payed $9.00 a bag for and that was hard shot . Oh well I'd rather reload and shoot then make money. I must be a trap nut. Yupp

·
Registered
19 Posts
I saw 7.5 and 8 shot at Cabela's in Lone Tree, Co for $50. If you sign up for a Cabela's Visa card, you get $20 off your first purchase so would bring the cost of that bag to $30.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
There's a huge risk for manufacturers selling big box/power retailers selling at low prices. The first being they can distroy the existing conduits to the consumer leaving the market in shambles taking away our buying choices. Second a sharp manufacturer wants balance in their customer base, they don't want to be owned one or two large customers who dictate terms of their business.

MAP (minimum advertised price) was divised to keep the big guy's in check as you can't control their selling price in their store but can control the advertised price and in store selling signage. This is the reason you see gun Ad's with POR (price on request) Anyone can advertise "we have the lowest prices or Our prices can't be beat" etc. Once in the store the seller can price his goods where he wishes, but if he embarresses the manufacturer with below market street prices there will be talks. As an example, a number of years ago a very large Outdoor retailer ignored a very large gun manufacturer's warning about advertising below MAP, they thought their size made them immune to the manufacturers MAP policy. The manufacturer pulled their product from the seller. The disagreement went to the lawyers. The manufacturer won.

Most factories supply the big boy's with a exclusive items for a given category. In the case of Walmart Federal supplied a once field load @ 1290 fps in 6, 7.5, and 8's that Walmart sold as a price leader while selling standard target loads at mainstream prices.

Many items on the shelf are considered convenice items and don't yeild high sales velocity so the margins aren't squeezed.

Bass Pro, Cabela's and others have made a business a big business selling fire arms and that's where their focus lies not in shot,wads, powder. These items are available at a price if you want or need them at that moment.

Surfer

·
5,251 Posts
Shooting sports and fishing equipment historically are smaller margin channels of business... Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Dicks and even in my afflilation with Orvis... clothing and accessories represent the margins that support overall store operations. Allowing the smaller margin products to take up valuable floor square footage...

j.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
rwtii,

Thanks for the clarification, I was just tying on my shoes while reading the rest of the posts. LOL. Although, looking at the date of the post they would be gone by now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts